CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-14-2011, 04:42 AM   #1
David Hare

Profile:
Protecting driveways

When doing a WOD on the driveway outdoors with bumpers, what is recommended to protect the driveway from damage? I understand in the garage a combination of plywood and horse stall mats works well, but I'm looking for something a little bit easier to move out to the driveway for an outdoor WOD on occasion.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-14-2011, 04:49 AM   #2
Adam Carlson

Profile:
Re: Protecting driveways

How much damage would rubber bumper plates cause to a drive way? Honest question, not sarcasm. I don't have a driveway myself, or bumper plates for that matter.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:13 AM   #3
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

I would be more worried about my bumper plates getting gouged and torn up than I would about the driveway.

I think a stall mat would be sufficient to protect the driveway and the bumpers.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:10 AM   #4
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Yeah, bumpers shouldn't damage driveway at all. I drop bumpers on my linoleum floor thast over cement (in my basement) no damage at all other than sometimes minor scuffs from the rubber that comes off easily.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
Brian Flynn

Profile:

How about buying a couple of rubber gym mats and strategically placing them on the driveway?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
Adam Kryskow

Profile:

The driveway will be fine. The bumpers may get scuffed.

A 100kg bar dropped from 8 feet up will generate about 3-4kN(65kg about 2kn) depending on how much it bounces. An average pickup truck sitting in a driveway is pushing at about 22kN. Of course the bumper hits a smaller surface area, two bumpers to 4 wheels and there are diameter considerations etc, but I couldn't see those complications resulting in a large enough difference to be concerned about the bumpers. At my most conservative estimate I'd say the bumpers are producing about 2-3 times the force per area of a truck just sitting there.

A 65kg bar (dropped from 8ft etc.) gives the force per area equivalent to a heavy motorcycle.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Nalin Prabhu

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Kryskow View Post
The driveway will be fine. The bumpers may get scuffed.

A 100kg bar dropped from 8 feet up will generate about 3-4kN(65kg about 2kn) depending on how much it bounces. An average pickup truck sitting in a driveway is pushing at about 22kN. Of course the bumper hits a smaller surface area, two bumpers to 4 wheels and there are diameter considerations etc, but I couldn't see those complications resulting in a large enough difference to be concerned about the bumpers. At my most conservative estimate I'd say the bumpers are producing about 2-3 times the force per area of a truck just sitting there.

A 65kg bar (dropped from 8ft etc.) gives the force per area equivalent to a heavy motorcycle.

A dynamic impact is very different than a static force. That is a horrible comparison.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:29 PM   #8
Robert Fabsik

Profile:

I've used bumpers, sleds, prowlers and kegs in my driveway. The keg makes scuffs, nothing else has really done anything noticeable. The bumpers get scuffed, so if you are particular you can buy some cheap foam squares (sold at a Home Depot for kids room or home gyms) or even some 2'x2' rubber pavers.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

In Dan Bailey's garage gym tour in the CFJ his original "stall mats" were just strips of tire cut up from freebies found on the side of the road and screwed to some scrap plywood.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:55 AM   #10
David Hare

Profile:

Thanks for all the replies. So based on the "bumpers will get scuffed' comments, I'd be best to get the Rogue Hi-Temps vs the smooth surfaced ones like the Pendlays, VTXs, or HGs...?