CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 12-06-2006, 07:41 AM   #1
David Mathews

Profile:
After discussing this with Greg Everrett on a different thread I started wondering what brand of squat do people on this board prefer (Olympic squat,or low back PL'ing squat).I was doing the low back PL squat but have started to do Oly squats.Pro's/Con's
Old 12-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #2
Josh Everett

Profile:
About 5 years ago i switched from a low bar powerlifting squat to high bar oly squats. The negatives were it took well over 100lbs off of my max and bruised my ego. As for positives my flexibility improved, & my knees and back don't take as much of a beating. I've steadily made gains on the high bar full-squat and am now only 75lbs off of my "powerlifting" squat
Old 12-06-2006, 12:09 PM   #3
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
I do all the above at some point. I usually alternate overheads, fronts, narrow stance high bar, narrow stance PL style, wide stance PL, etc. from workout to workout. I never do the same thing two workouts in a row.

This past summer, I swore off pl squats and my knees and hips have been very thankful. No way near as close in weights moved. But I'm okay with that. Ocassionally, I'll train a little heavier, but I see no need at this point.

All the best,
Arden
Old 12-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #4
John Seiler

Profile:
I switched to the full squat early this year when I started Crossfit. I still carry the bar fairly low. Anyway, I far prefer the present version. My knees feel great and I'm not getting the horrible DOMS in my adductor magnus I used to get (though part of that could be getting off the 20-rep squat program -brutal and a LOT of time under tension.)
Old 12-06-2006, 03:11 PM   #5
William Winger

Profile:
You tell me:

It is (only) parallel, hopefully not too much forward lean (though this is my max attempt), but with pretty wide stance and definitely sitting back and deep. I think of it as a kind of "improved upon PL style squat." Hopefully that's right...
Attached Files
File Type: email MOV02902.mpg (4.24 MB, 92 views)
Old 12-06-2006, 04:51 PM   #6
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
Rippetoe had some interesting thoughts on the different back squats vs. front squats in his CFJ article on the power clean. If I remember correctly, he proposed the low back style of back squatting even for oly lifters.
Old 12-07-2006, 10:34 AM   #7
David Mathews

Profile:
I wonder if someone at headquarters could chime in? Do you guys and gals do one or the other,both,or a mixture? Not trying to nuke this thing, just trying to decide if I want to change.
Old 12-08-2006, 01:16 AM   #8
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
Front squat to grass. Supersetted with weighted pistols.

I don't do back squats any more, because I'm able to squat more than my back can handle, so I end up bending over pretty bad.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:38 PM   #9
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
would some of you with knowledge and experience please combine this conversation with the pictures on wednesday's wod?

the 1st example is obviously incorrect to all of us, but the 2nd is called 'immature' although it looks pretty darn good to me if i imagine doing that with 250lbs or more behind my shoulders. is it wrong??? the difference between the 2nd and 3rd is also obvious, and i'm wondering if this is the difference i've seen mentioned in another thread between a powerlifting squat position v an oly squat position. i'm also wondering if we should absolutely be striving for the 3rd position even with heavy back squats.