CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #1
Liz Wolfe

Profile:
Injuries, nutrition, pro athletes.

Just wanted to share the following from my most recent Weston A. Price newsletter...thought is was timely as football season comes to a close. Timely and EXTREMELY funny.

"'Redskins catch on to healthy habits' was the headline of a Washington Post article about Jane Jakubezak, nutritionist for the Washington, DC football team (September 16, 2010). Thanks to Jane's urging, veteran running back Clinton Portis now eats lean protein and vegetables, avoids butter and cream, and shuns his mother's comfort foods. The weird, birdfood diet Jakubezak recommends for these star athletes includes whole grain cereal, skim milk, energy shakes, lowfat chocolate milk (after workouts), lean meat, egg white omelets, peanut butter and jelly, and lots and lots of whole wheat bread. By Thanksgiving, the Redskins had the longest list of injured players in the league - fourteen in all, including Portis. By contrast, the Philadelphia Eagles, whose trainers recommend a more caveman-like diet and pickle juice during practice, have one of the lowest injury rates in the league."

Love everything about this - especially the "weird birdfood diet" line.

I'm no Eagles fan, but kudos to their trainers.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #2
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Injuries, nutrition, pro athletes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz Wolfe View Post
Just wanted to share the following from my most recent Weston A. Price newsletter...thought is was timely as football season comes to a close. Timely and EXTREMELY funny.

"'Redskins catch on to healthy habits' was the headline of a Washington Post article about Jane Jakubezak, nutritionist for the Washington, DC football team (September 16, 2010). Thanks to Jane's urging, veteran running back Clinton Portis now eats lean protein and vegetables, avoids butter and cream, and shuns his mother's comfort foods. The weird, birdfood diet Jakubezak recommends for these star athletes includes whole grain cereal, skim milk, energy shakes, lowfat chocolate milk (after workouts), lean meat, egg white omelets, peanut butter and jelly, and lots and lots of whole wheat bread. By Thanksgiving, the Redskins had the longest list of injured players in the league - fourteen in all, including Portis. By contrast, the Philadelphia Eagles, whose trainers recommend a more caveman-like diet and pickle juice during practice, have one of the lowest injury rates in the league."

Love everything about this - especially the "weird birdfood diet" line.

I'm no Eagles fan, but kudos to their trainers.
Tell that to poor Leonard Weaver.
Old 02-02-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Reminds me of when the Yankees hired a strength and conditioning coach with no baseball experience... and were decimated by injuries during the first part of the season.

The big leagues are not the place for on-the-job training.

Katherine
Old 02-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Reminds me of when the Yankees hired a strength and conditioning coach with no baseball experience... and were decimated by injuries during the first part of the season.

The big leagues are not the place for on-the-job training.

Katherine
Katherine, that reminds me of when George Costanza dressed the Yankees in cotton uniforms.....