CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-21-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Will CrossFit & Endurance Sports Work Together?

Quote:
Dean Karnazes is a great example of the ability of the Zone Diet to cause adaptations to one's physiology to give them unique advantages in athletic performance, Dr. Sears said. Dean follows the Zone Diet exceptionally faithfully, yet during his ultra-marathon runs, he consistently consumes high-fat junk food. What gives? By following the Zone Diet, he is adapting his body to burn fat preferentially as opposed to carbohydrates to make the chemical energy (ATP) needed for muscle contraction. During an ultra-marathon, by consuming high-fat (i.e. high-octane) junk food, he can produce extraordinary amounts of ATP. His competitors, who are adapted to burning carbohydrates (i.e. low octane fuel), will make far less ATP than will Dean. This means one thing: He will always have far more energy than they will. Fortunately for Dean, it is unlikely they will ever learn this basic fact of metabolism.
After looking all over Dean Karnazes' website and the Zone Diet website, I wasn't able to find this anywhere. I did some google searching and all I found was broken links and links to blogs without any credibility. I'm having a very hard time believing that he follows the zone diet, so please let me know if you can find a credible source that supports substantiates this.

Now, about the rest of the quote. First, all elite endurance athletes are highly adapted to burn fat better than other athletes. Dean is a great athlete but there's nothing special about his metabolism over other athletes like Bekele, Gebreselassie, Krupica, Jurek, etc.

Finally, Dean Karnazes is known to eat junk food on the run -- that's true. But where does it say that this is high-fat? I would love to see what they are referring to as "junk food" that is also not incredibly high in carbohydrates, because I simply don't buy it.

Endurance racing without carbohydrates has been shown in a study to be ineffective for optimal performance, and I know of no competitive endurance athlete who does not consume a significant amount of carbohydrates while racing.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
Miguel Angel Cortes

Profile:

Good point Shane!
Old 01-22-2011, 03:21 AM   #13
Diego Sommariva

Profile:

The article is old, from way back 2005 or 2006. Dr. Barry Sears himself uses Karnazes as an example, or did way back when, and the first time I heard the above quote was watching a video of one of Sears' talk. This was a few years ago and I don't know where the video was linked from. Bad news is The Zone Diet's website is being revamped and old links are dead.
Karnazes' own website doesn't say he zones, but I do think it used to. Can't be sure, I'm not a follower of the guy, just remember his name and the story every once in a while. But I don't think he would be too happy if Dr. Sears used him as an example all the time if it wasn't true, so I'm guessing it isn't bogus.

In any case, Miguel Angel, you have plenty of options to choose from. Take a look at them, a good, long, hard, critical look, and then make up your own mind, or try things out. Not everything works for everyone, and certain things don't work for anybody :P

Good luck!
Old 01-22-2011, 12:47 PM   #14
Miguel Angel Cortes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego Sommariva View Post
In any case, Miguel Angel, you have plenty of options to choose from. Take a look at them, a good, long, hard, critical look, and then make up your own mind, or try things out. Not everything works for everyone, and certain things don't work for anybody :P

Good luck!
Thanks Diego. I am finding out a lot of imformation on this forum - that was the entire reason I joined.

You are completely correct, it is alll trial and error. I do need to try different diets. Also I will need to determine if I want to try out CrossFit or CrossFit Endurance.

Thanks for all the support and the opinions everyone!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:56 AM   #15
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
After looking all over Dean Karnazes' website and the Zone Diet website, I wasn't able to find this anywhere. I did some google searching and all I found was broken links and links to blogs without any credibility. I'm having a very hard time believing that he follows the zone diet, so please let me know if you can find a credible source that supports substantiates this.

Now, about the rest of the quote. First, all elite endurance athletes are highly adapted to burn fat better than other athletes. Dean is a great athlete but there's nothing special about his metabolism over other athletes like Bekele, Gebreselassie, Krupica, Jurek, etc.

Finally, Dean Karnazes is known to eat junk food on the run -- that's true. But where does it say that this is high-fat? I would love to see what they are referring to as "junk food" that is also not incredibly high in carbohydrates, because I simply don't buy it.

Endurance racing without carbohydrates has been shown in a study to be ineffective for optimal performance, and I know of no competitive endurance athlete who does not consume a significant amount of carbohydrates while racing.
You're right, he doesn't Zone. He does something that is more akin to Paleo.

http://dean.runnersworld.com/2007/10...thal-diet.html (WFS)

http://www.chow.com/food-news/54227/...eme-meal-plan/ (WFS)

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/1...man&topic_set= (WFS)