CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 11-09-2006, 11:27 PM   #1
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
over 2 months into xfit and the warmup is still kicking my butt because of my pullups. i could easily do 3x15 ohs, situps, back extensions, and dips without spending near the energy i do on the 3x15 pullups alone, most of which are jumping or weight assisted. i find it hard to believe that people with the ability to knock out 45 pullups in 3 sets for a 'warm up' would even feel the rest of the warm up exercises at 3x15 reps. i would guess those able to do 45 pullups for a warm up would need to do at least twice as many weightless ohs, situps, back extensions, and bar dips before those muscles became equally 'warmed up'.

i can do about 3x as many pullups as i could a little more than 2 months ago so i'm definitely not complaining about extra pullups, and i enjoy the warmup in and of itself. BUT the warmup continues to be somewhat frustrating in this department and i also feel like it takes a lot out of any of my rx'd workouts because the pullups truly make the warmup a workout in itself.

is it just me or does the ratio of pullups compared to the other warmup exercise reps seem unnatural? maybe just unnatural for an out of shape 20lb overweight guy? should i cut back the reps on the warm up pullups? are 3x15 pullups ever literally as easy or almost as easy as 3x15 of the other warmup exercises, even for some of you pullup guru's?
Old 11-10-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Yes, the pullups feel roughly as difficult as the other moves but I use an oly bar for the OHS. I am stronger in my dips but during the warmups they feel about the same.

I would start your pullups with 3 sets of 10 until you can do 10 easily then go to 15.

One of the purposes of the warmup is to work on deficiencies. If you can easily do 15 dips but pullups are killer you are deficient in that area.

Keep it up and be patient they will continue to improve!

(Message edited by vcraig on November 10, 2006)
Old 11-10-2006, 11:10 AM   #3
Derek Simonds

Profile:
Greg, I struggle with pull ups as well. I have been doing Crossfit for about 9 months, 4 months non stop. I still can't do the 3 X 15 in the warmup without resorting to jumping at the end.

I have steadily increased the number of pull ups I can do without having to jump. I agree with Craig scale the pull ups to a number that is comfortable and push yourself every week to try and do more.

This week my goal was 7 in the warm up each set with jumping to finish. I made it.

I also feel like my back extensions on the GHD need work as well.

I worked out at Crossfit Long Beach while I was out in CA last week and the guys in the class there were just amazing at how they rocked through the pull ups. It certainly gave me something to shoot for.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:24 AM   #4
Brad Davis

Profile:
Greg:

I'm newer at this than you (about 3.5 weeks now), but I had done a lot of pushups, pullups, dips, etc, for the last 6 months.

I've asked myself the same question. 3x15 pullups is fairly close to the max that I can do in one workout, PERIOD. Two of my scaled WoD lately have had 70-75 pullups and that seems to be my absolute max at this point. For the last round, almost all my pull-ups were singles.

I cut the pullups down to 3x6 during the warmup. That, combined with all the other pull-ups in CF, and my lats and biceps are barely recovering as it is. I might try and go to 3x7 next week.

That being said, I can knock out 3x15 dips, squats, situps, etc, without any problem, and that feels about like a warmup.

I'm just hoping that someday I can do 3x15 pull-ups and call that a "warmup" LOL.

DBD
Old 11-10-2006, 12:15 PM   #5
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
thanks for the responses, all. it sounds like i've tried to keep the rx'd warmup reps too literal relative to my current abilities. i thought that was probably the answer and wanted some reinforcement. i'm going to go 3x5 or 3x6 on the pullups in the warm up for now, and build from there. i definitely believe in oiling the squeaky wheel, and the warmup has been doing that for me most every day but i've probably been overdoing it and sometimes at the expense of the wod.

i've definitely developed a pullup deficiency over the past 25 years...i think it has a lot to do with not working out out regularly and MAYBE the additional 50 to 60lbs i'm pulling up? hehehe
Old 11-11-2006, 07:11 AM   #6
Frank M Needham

Profile:
It would also be a good idea to do some GTG throughout the day, PUs of course. Credit to Steven Low for turning me on to this. I've only recently, the last 3-4 months, been able to even approach what I feel is close to a serious workout (still at the low end by CF standards!). I'm doing 9 PUs now on each round of the CFWU and doing 9 during the day by GTG. My max is probably 'round 15 now but I'm gaining by using GTG. GTG works.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:28 PM   #7
James Lewis

Profile:
New here at CF (~1 month)

I use the Gravitron to help out with Pullups on the warmup. That way I can get my reps in at a lower load. I am working towards decreasing the assist on the 'tron but keeping the reps the same. No 'tron? Try bands maybe?

Also, if the WOD has pullups in it, I exclude them from the WOD.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:05 AM   #8
Frank M Needham

Profile:
James, do a search here on "Grease the Groove" (GTG) or over at Dragondoor read Pavel's article on the topic.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:24 AM   #9
Geoff Pitluck

Profile:
Greg, I too have wondered if the CF warmup will ever feel like just a warmup, due to the dips and pullups. What works for me is doing only one pullup or dip set in each warmup round, no jumps. Initially that meant 6-5-5 or so, now I'm up to 3x10. Pullup improvement has come from just doing the WOD's, thanks to them appearing in so many WOD's. When I began WOD's about 18 months ago, my main goal was like my initial goal for running marathons: just to finish. There were WOD's calling for over 100 pullups that took me going on 2 hours. I stopped posting my times out of embarrassment. Recently, the WOD calling for 105 pullups + 175 squats took me 28:44. Slow by CF standards, but a big improvement. For me, GTG helps now and again, but mostly I just hit the WOD's with a passion and they are helping me grow. Long story short, scale the workouts/cfwu where appropriate and keep pushing. Chart your progress and you will be surprised. Trust me, you will most definitely improve. This system is the best. Cheers, Geoff
Old 11-13-2006, 11:41 AM   #10
Greg Hamilton

Profile:
thanks for all the input. i'm definitely seeing improvement and have been satisfied with 5-5-5 on the pullups in the warmup for the past few days. two months or so ago that would have been more like 2-2-2 and i feel sure i'll be at 6-6-6 in another week or two.

james, i really like the 'tron' for massive amounts of pullups on wods, and even though i've learned to imitate a mini-kip despite the pad under my knees, it's just not nearly the same as the real thing at 5-5-5 on the warmup.