CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-29-2010, 06:10 AM   #1
Matthew Swartz

Profile:
"Functional" Definition

Can anyone explain to me why bicep curls are not considered a functional movement by crossfit?
Old 07-29-2010, 06:13 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: "Functional" Definition

THey are a functional movement, but they are typically over done and for novices and intermeditaes there are better options.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 AM   #3
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
THey are a functional movement, but they are typically over done and for novices and intermeditaes there are better options.
They should have a bicep curl competition in the games then. They can title it, "GET SWOL"
Old 07-29-2010, 06:32 AM   #4
Walker Fenz

Profile:

Matthew,

I think the term "functional" can get a little hazy, but I think generally the CF arguement is that a curl is a more isolated movement whereas in day to day life, muscles work together. Another arguement you might hear, is "does that movement happen in nature?" I supose you could make the arguement both ways for a curl (lifting a beer to one's mouth is a curl, right?), but its typically used for some of those crazy machines which dont replicate anything that would ever occur in real life.

If curls help you meet your goals, go for it.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:36 AM   #5
Brock Wilson

Profile:

Maybe splitting hairs, but I might draw a distinction between bicep curls performed standing (some functionality) and bicep curls in a machine and/or seated (like preacher curls or "concentration curls") which have little to no functionality.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:42 AM   #6
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Matthew,

FUnny, I like it. But to answer that seriously, curls, when used well, help bring up a weakness in the upper arm and strength the structure of the elbow. In intermediates, you may find that excersizes like the chin up and pull up, the back is overwhelming the bicep in work done. Therefore, doing curls will help bring up the lagging part. IN addition, but more so for advanced trainees, doing chin up and pull ups is much more demanding and places a greater stress on the CNS. If you've already put in a lot of work, doing chin ups to help your biceps (at this point, can be overkill).

The issue most CFers have with them stems from their use.

THere is the rejection of the current physical culture, which worships the anterior muscles (beach muscles) and spend an inordinate amoutn of time working the arms, especially upper. CFers have a tendency to take this as "Most people in the gym do not get in good shape, most people in the gym curl alot, curling will not get you in good shape" as much as their desire to define themselves in opposition to the current physical culture.

WHat a number of them forget is that other athletes,who have a pretty poor representation in most commercial training facilities, also cur; strongmen, powerlifters, weightlifters, and other strength athletes. THey do this for the reasons mentioned above.

As far as appearing in the games or any other competition, it would make as much sense as having a Goodmorning or foam rolling competition.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #7
adam adkins

Profile:

"Functional" is the new "core." Which was the new "tone." Which was the new "shape up." Which was the new .......

Each of these terms drive me crazy.

People use "functional" to indicate their selected exercises are somehow superior. They are mostly wrong. There is no dysfunctional strength. If a movement helps in acheiving your goal, whatever that may be, it is functional.

I know, I know, I can hear everyone saying, "How am I going to use 'x' movement in real life?" Well, as Glassman said in the last journal video, "the gym is real life, you are using it here."

Plus, in all honesty, none of this has any real life application. I'm a freaking lawyer for god sake. What I'm I going to do, "50ft 8lb farmers walk for time. 3,2,1, GO!"?????? Outside of carrying my briefcase I have no real life need for physical fitness. I just enjoy it.

If I thought curls would help me acheive my goal and I enjoyed doing them I would do them and they would serve a function. I don't so they don't.
Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 AM   #8
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

There's no need for physical fitness, until it affects your health...

Curls are also good for rehabilitation
Old 07-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #9
Hector Santiago

Profile:

Functional movements are universal motor recruitment patterns; they are performed in a wave of contraction from core to extremity;
and they are compound movements—i.e., they are multi-joint. They are natural, effective, and efficient locomotors of body and external objects. But no aspect of functional movements is more important than their capacity to move large loads over long distances, and to do so quickly. Collectively, these three attributes (load, distance, and speed) uniquely qualify functional
movements for the production of high power.

I hope that helps understanding and also to realize that crossfit a core conditioning program, Aushion Chatman (YES THERE IS NEED FOR PHYSICAL FITNEES). and yes overall crossfit will make you better at life in General.

SANTI

Last edited by Hector Santiago; 07-29-2010 at 07:41 AM..
Old 07-29-2010, 07:59 AM   #10
Matthew Swartz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Wilson View Post
Maybe splitting hairs, but I might draw a distinction between bicep curls performed standing (some functionality) and bicep curls in a machine and/or seated (like preacher curls or "concentration curls") which have little to no functionality.
I would argue that anything you do involving muscle (i.e. everything) has a functional part in at least something. For example, a bar-arm tilt in wrestling uses the exact movement of a preacher curl.