CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-27-2010, 02:17 AM   #1
Michelle Medeiros

Profile:
Should I wait for trainer to be level 1 certified?

I'm doing CrossFit so I can improve my enjoyment of the physical side of life, and really have fun when ever the opportunity presents itself (skiing, surfing).

My first goal is for the CrossFit Warm Up to be a warm up and not a work out!

I don't have much confidence in my execution of the air squat. And I'm not sure if I'm being too conservative (wussy) with my intensity. So I want to work with a CrossFit trainer.

I've found a personal trainer, "Casey," who has been assisting another CrossFit Level 1 certified trainer, "Ken," in a group CrossFit class. Although Ken is Level 1 certified, I do not want to work with Ken for reasons I don't want to go in to here.

Casey will be attending the Level 1 course in three weeks. I've heard some good things about Casey such as he actually corrected my friend's push up form after three weeks of repeatedly injuring her shoulder while training with Ken. But I'm not sure if it's enough.

At $45 a session, I'm wondering ... should I wait until Casey completes his certification?

Meanwhile I would continue to improve my stamina with the CF WU and perhaps develop more physical capacity to offer up to Casey for molding.

I plan to workout primarily at home and seek the advice of a trainer periodically trainer.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:13 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw

Profile:
Re: Should I wait for trainer to be level 1 certified?

Personally I don't feel that anyone without industry recognised qualifications should be allowed to claim to be a personal trainer or be allowed to charge for their services but if "Ken" and "Casey" with only a single worthless qualification between them are your only options I suggest you trust your instincts and go with "Casey".
Old 07-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #3
Charles Applin

Profile:

Considering the "certs" were an after thought (coming from Coach himself), I think you'll be safe training with a guy that's a good coach. Even bad coaches can get cert 1, while good coaches have clients that stick with them. Plus, the good coach will still be a good coach after he gets the cert.

About CFWU: Don't forget you can get the reps at 5, or even reduce the load via gravitron, bands or inclines. It's a warm-up, which if you look at it warms up your hips, shoulders, abs and back. It can be a work-out in and of itself, but best to save that for the measured part you're warming up for.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #4
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Trainers can put all sorts of fancy letters after their names--NSCS, ACSM, CSCS, CF L1, L2, CF barbell/Oly cert, USAW club coach, etc--but the only important question is "can they actually coach"?

Check out the track records of both of them--who they've trained and what kind of progress they've made--and make sure they're skilled at teaching the movements, spotting technique faults, and giving effective cues to fix the faults they see.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

I agree with Eric - a piece of paper doesn't prove anything. Results are what matters. Be your own advocate, research and ask questions. This goes for choosing a trainer as well as learner more about training methodologies/programs. Communication goes a long way with working successfully with a trainer as well.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

If he's a good trainer now, he'll be a better one after he gets his cert. If he's not, the cert won't help -- it will give him more knowledge, but won't change his basic approach.

So I don't see why you should put your goals on hold while you wait for him to get a piece of paper. Go ahead and sign up for a session to find out if you click with him. If you do, you start moving forward that much sooner. If you don't, you've got a head start on a search for someone else.

Katherine
Old 07-27-2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Michelle Medeiros

Profile:

Thank you for all your feedback.
There aren't a lot of trainers to choose from with CrossFit experience.
Just two in my town.

I'd have to travel two hours to get to the next available trainer.
So I hope that Casey clicks.

@Charles: appreciate your advice on scaling the WU. (Ha! She's scaling the WARMUP folks)

@ Katherine: You're right, I am antsy to keep progressing.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:45 PM   #8
Michelle Medeiros

Profile:

Starting with Casey on Friday, 7:00 am!