CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 05-27-2010, 08:54 AM   #1
Scott Ichiiwa

Profile:
Pro grade kettlebells. who's are the best?

Looking for solid pro grade kettlebells. in Canada and the USA.

I have come across a few in Canada and believe the ader and extreme kettlebell ones are the leaders on this side of the border.

I am also having to factor the cost of shipping and taxes coming across the border to canada.

so a prograde bell, at a decent price shipped in canada or to usa brought across the border.

any info would be great.

for example shipping from some places is ridiculous.. while extreme kettlebells seems very reasonable .

Last edited by Scott Ichiiwa; 05-27-2010 at 08:58 AM..
Old 05-27-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Fern Webb

Profile:
Re: Pro grade kettlebells. who's are the best?

I am not sure about the ones that are all the same size but different weights, but for just the regular multi-sized ones you can buy them locally.

(WFS - but beware the automatic video with music!)
http://www.canadiankettlebells.com/
or contact Fitness Town - call up the Burnaby store and ask to talk to Geoff Behrend.

Fitness Depot carries Agatsu Kettlebells at a decent price too (same as on the Agatsu website, but no shipping cost if you buy them at the store).

Rogue Canada sells Aders as singles or as sets with free shipping from Edmonton.

There are a number of places in Blaine WA that you can rent a mailbox and take advantage of "Continental US" free shipping. A quick trip over the border to pick it up yourself, bring your online order receipt and show it to the border agent when they ask and they may not even ask you to pay tax, or possibly just regular sales tax. If it is just small personal shipments I don't see any reason to hire a customs broker. If you order something "made in US" you are probably under NAFTA and there are no extra duties beyond PST/GST. From experience, often if you are only bringing over $150 or less at a time they wave you through and you don't even get charged the PST/GST. It's not illegal to buy stuff in the US and drive it over yourself, just bring your paperwork (passport!).
Old 05-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #3
Joseph Cheng

Profile:

Go with Extreme
Old 05-27-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
John Powell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cheng View Post
Go with Extreme
I second that (completely impartially)
Old 05-27-2010, 07:27 PM   #5
Boris Terzic

Profile:

I've only ever competed with AKC kettlebells and I really like them but I have also tried other brands. I also own a couple of Agatsu and Extreme pro-grades that I mixed and mached with my AKC bells.

I have to say that I'd go with the Agatsu over the Extreme. The 24kg Extreme that I got had a fully painted handle and was a pain in the neck to strip down so that it would take chalk. After over a year of use it still doesn't take chalk well, the handle is too smooth. I can't say that I've had these problems with my AKC or Agatsu bells. - http://boristerzic.blogspot.com/2009...ettlebell.html

One thing I do like is that no matter what brand I can mixed and match them with no negative result.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
Scott Ichiiwa

Profile:

great info keep it coming....
Old 05-28-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
Frank E Morel

Profile:

have them shipped general delivery to the us post office in blaine wa. Then go get them and hand carry them across the border, chances are that you will avoid taxes and duty. say that they are your portable gym. Just lose all documentation paper before crossing.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:41 AM   #8
Joseph Cheng

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Terzic View Post
I've only ever competed with AKC kettlebells and I really like them but I have also tried other brands. I also own a couple of Agatsu and Extreme pro-grades that I mixed and mached with my AKC bells.

I have to say that I'd go with the Agatsu over the Extreme. The 24kg Extreme that I got had a fully painted handle and was a pain in the neck to strip down so that it would take chalk. After over a year of use it still doesn't take chalk well, the handle is too smooth. I can't say that I've had these problems with my AKC or Agatsu bells. - http://boristerzic.blogspot.com/2009...ettlebell.html

One thing I do like is that no matter what brand I can mixed and match them with no negative result.

The Extreme bells are fully sanded now. The version you picked up was the first generation (2 years ago I assume). In my opinion, both Agatsu and Extreme KBs are great products.

Last edited by Joseph Cheng; 05-28-2010 at 07:45 AM..
Old 05-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
Boris Terzic

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cheng View Post
The Extreme bells are fully sanded now. The version you picked up was the first generation (2 years ago I assume). In my opinion, both Agatsu and Extreme KBs are great products.
That's good to know. How are the handles now? Are they still really smooth, or is there some texture to them to allow the chalk to stick?
Old 05-29-2010, 05:02 AM   #10
Joseph Cheng

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Terzic View Post
That's good to know. How are the handles now? Are they still really smooth, or is there some texture to them to allow the chalk to stick?
They are textured.