CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 07-20-2005, 08:47 AM   #1
Kyle Short

Profile:  
I am still very new at CrossFit and yesterday's WOD was the first time I have ever deadlifted. In truth, it was also the first time I have lifted heavy weight aside from the occasional bench press at points in my life.

At 6'3" 188lbs, 26 years olds. I started with 200lbs. and worked my way up to 300lbs. at the end of the WOD. I think that I could have gone another 10 to 20lbs. if I wanted to. Today I have a little muscle discomfort in my lower back, but nothing unexpected.

What numbers should someone my size be striving for in DL? Is 300 to 320 in the right ball park or should I be striving for 400 or so?

Old 07-20-2005, 08:50 AM   #2
Troy Archie

Profile:
Whatever you can do, that's what Crossfit is all about. IMHO x2 body weight is a pretty good bench mark but I'm sure there's people out there that would scoff at that.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:08 AM   #3
Christian Hansen

Profile:
Pretty impressive for a beginner. I'm fairly new as well and about your size (6'4" 186) and topped at 245. I find heavy weights really tough to get moving.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I've got an injured back right now, but when healthy I pull around 310, at about the same size as you (6'3.5", 180 or so). Last time I deadlifted real heavy, it was the grip that gave out first.

Tweaked my back power cleaning last week, so I've been doing lots of back extensions and lighter weight DL (185) to work it back up.

The Hoffman standards are way up there... http://danjohn.org/goldsilver.html
Old 07-20-2005, 10:56 AM   #5
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
The taller you are, the lower you have to go to get down to the bar and the longer you have to pull. So, YMMV. I've done double bodyweight (330) at 6'1" and 40-something years old.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:51 AM   #6
Gary John

Profile:

First up, hey Lincoln haven't seen you around as much lately, hope all is well.

Best way for me to gauge the deadlift, is to start at a weight I know I can do, then keep adding 10# for a single. I take a minutes rest and keep going until I can't. I've PR'd twice doing this, both times on my 10th lift.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:03 PM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Hey Gary. I moved to AZ and am using a computer that has a mouse with a mind of its own, so I don't post as much. All is well, have some good news I'll post later. Say hey to Danny for me.

The deadlift is wierd that way, neurologically/mentally. I can have a go at a squat pr with only 2 or 3 warmups, but deadlifts take a lot more warmups. Pavel has noted this as well.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:52 PM   #8
Aaron Levi

Profile:
Sorry to hijack for a moment...

Lincoln, did you get the PM I sent to you?
Old 07-20-2005, 02:41 PM   #9
Russ Greene

Profile:

Long arms = good deadlift, bad bench

So if you've got long as heck arms a double bwt deadlift might happen without deadlifting at all, just doing squats and O-lifting, but if you've got short arms deadlifting is probably going to be a lot harder for you. People who are built for deadlifting like me tend to make better overall progress working hard on their usually weaker squats and snatches rather than spending a lot of time pulling heavy deadlifts.

Previously Masquerading as Ross Greenberg
Old 07-20-2005, 03:52 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

Carrying on with what Russ said: it's really a question of relative arm length vs. leg length (and, I suppose, torso, too).

I have ridiculously short legs ... (makes the running WODs hellish for me, but I can pull a DL). All of my "shortness" is below the waist (I buy normal off-the-rack shirts but have to have custom slacks made) . . . so, at 154 lbs, I've done a PR of 385 in the DL. In effect, I don't have to move the bar very far, and my lift enjoys a lot of mechanical advantage in the bottom position.

I agree, your numbers above are really pretty good if you are as "untrained" as you say (maybe you've been doing some squatting?). I would say 400 is a very realistic goal for you.

2 x BW is considered pretty good; very few people (unless strongly mechanically advantaged) are going to do that without some specific training in the DL.

2.5 x BW is quite good . . . probably less than 5% of all "lifters" ever get there . . . but it would hardly get you in the door at a serious powerlifting meet.

3 x BW is very rare . . . usually only lightweights can get up to that multiple. For me, that would be over 450 lbs (not gonna happen in this lifetime), but I assume it's been done. Kelly Moore (CrossFitter superlative) is closing in on 3x BW.