CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:15 PM   #1931
Brendan McNamar

Profile:
Re: Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Tamara's log

Cut and pasted from the Level 1 Training Manuel -CFJ. First Article "Understanding CrossFit..."

"The CrossFit methodology depends on full
disclosure of methods, results, and criticisms, and we’ve
employed the Internet (and various intranets) to support
these values. Our charter is open source, making
co-developers out of participating coaches, athletes, and
trainers through a spontaneous and collaborative online
community."

Having followed Tamara's post I would say she would fall in the "criticism" category. I have never seen a post by her that would suggest unsafe training methodology or bad advise. Her message is not don't do CrossFit. Yes she is outspoken about what she sees as flaws in the CrossFit methods.

She has competed in CrossFit competitions, followed CrossFit W.O.D.'s and lost a lot of weight doing CrossFit. She has been trained by Mark Rippetoe who is often referred to in CrossFit training material. She just completed the US Track & Field certification. She currently competes in USAW events. The same USAW CrossFit teamed up with last year. Remember? Simply put she is qualified to criticize.

She seems to me to be exactly the kind of person we should listen to if we want to find the faults in our program and make it better.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:47 PM   #1932
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence "Bo" Boland III View Post
Seriously? Take your $.02 somewhere else. There are a lot of good reasons to ban **** like that in a gym, and she decided that she would. I "ban" kipping pull-ups and high rep barbell work in my gym because doing them at breakneck speeds with minimal concern to your body is a retarded way to train.

This is a DISCUSSION forum. We discuss reasons for training the way we do... and to say that there is one and only one way of training (crossfit) is naive.
Yeah it is a discussion forum, that was my opinion... To tell me to "take is elsewhere" seems to encourage the same heavy handedness you are taking issue with.

Not saying any training method is right or wrong, but this is a crossfit message board. If your training method is undoubtedly anti-crossfit in many of it's methods at some point management is going to tell you to move along. You can't be shocked by that.

This is primarily a crossfit message board, for the discussion and promotion of crossfit, you can't be shocked when eventually you run into issues when you
promote alternative even competitive training methods, and speak against almost every training method that is distinctively crossfit.

Divorce yourself from emotion and you will be able to see my point.

That said I thought Tamara was a really entertaining poster and a motivator and she will be missed if she is in fact having issues posting here going forward.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #1933
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:

What? I don't understand? She always has very helpful posts.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #1934
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
If your training method is undoubtedly anti-crossfit in many of it's methods at some point management is going to tell you to move along. You can't be shocked by that.
Damn, never realized the kipping pull-ups and high rep Oly lifts were a core part of Crossfit. Here I thought they were an "open source" that would look at everything and where the cream rises.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #1935
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Quote:
That said I thought Tamara was a really entertaining poster and a motivator and she will be missed if she is in fact having issues posting here going forward.
Agreed with this and Caz's post about how she has been very helpful to people seeking advice. She has totally inspired me to lift heavy .

Our loss.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:04 PM   #1936
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Yeah it is a discussion forum, that was my opinion... To tell me to "take is elsewhere" seems to encourage the same heavy handedness you are taking issue with.

Not saying any training method is right or wrong, but this is a crossfit message board. If your training method is undoubtedly anti-crossfit in many of it's methods at some point management is going to tell you to move along. You can't be shocked by that.

This is primarily a crossfit message board, for the discussion and promotion of crossfit, you can't be shocked when eventually you run into issues when you
promote alternative even competitive training methods, and speak against almost every training method that is distinctively crossfit.

Divorce yourself from emotion and you will be able to see my point.

This is gonna start another whole discussion of "what constitutes Crossfit" and I'm kind of tired of it, but in Tamara's defense I have to say this -

Annie Thorisdottir squats 250 and deadlifts 350. If you think she got those numbers by doing "only" Crossfit, you're dead wrong. And, as she's the winner of the 2011 Crossfit Games is difficult to insinuate that she's NOT a crossfitter so...your logic that her strength training was "competitive to Crossfit" doesn't compute.

The point is, discussing/utilizing other training methodologies does not make someone "not" Crossfit. Tamara's posts have been and supportive and educational towards those who've asked for help. To tell someone that doing kipping pullups will not help them reach their goals is not going against Crossfit. It's a shame that she's now viewed as a threat and the community will be lacking without her in it.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #1937
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Reid View Post

Annie Thorisdottir squats 250 and deadlifts 350. If you think she got those numbers by doing "only" Crossfit, you're dead wrong. And, as she's the winner of the 2011 Crossfit Games is difficult to insinuate that she's NOT a crossfitter so...your logic that her strength training was "competitive to Crossfit" doesn't compute.
That wasn't my point at all...

Tamara in many posts has readily said she does not crossfit anymore, I don't think it is a secret that she has a gym that does not program crossfit workouts. Based on numerous posts I don't think it is even debatable that Tamara doesn't crossfit anymore, she Olympic lifts exclusively by her own admission many times on these boards.

Crossfit is a business, Tamara now owns a gym that would be called a competing gym. No business is going to allow someone to speak against their
brand while promoting their own.

I don't "do crossfit" myself, I actually stopped based on advice I got right here and decided to do primarily strength for a while. Literally cancelled my cf membership of $155 a month, and went back to the standard globo to work on squats, deadlifts, presses etc... Trust me I am not a Kool aid drinker and I actually agree with most of tamara's criticisms. But at the end of the day it is a crossfit board, it is a multi-million dollar company and they're going to protect their brand, simple as that.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #1938
Andrew Roden

Profile:

Why are we having this discussion in her Log? We should move this to another thread.

I think due to the 'Open Source' methodology referred to, that it should be publicly stated when someone is moderated or banned and what post or posts violated the posting rules. I understand the Crossfit owns and runs this board. It is their sandbox. But banning/moderating people without at least telling them WHY makes no sense. Say so and so was banned because they were abusive or their statements were provably false. Not CLICK and "hey where did that poster go...?"
Old 08-01-2011, 05:57 PM   #1939
Jamie Gowens

Profile:

Quote:
But at the end of the day it is a crossfit board, it is a multi-million dollar company and they're going to protect their brand, simple as that.
Hey. It's impressive that one little housewife from nowheresville has managed to make such an impression to be viewed as a threat on a multi-million dollar corporation as CrossFit.
Banning her really only put her one step closer to her world domination, as it lets her join the ranks of others-who-get-their-names-starred-out on this board.

*shrug*
It's stupid. Her criticisms are fair, they're not vituperative or vindictive. She didn't have anything personal against HQ. She was simply vocal about the flaws in the methodology.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #1940
Michael Dowling

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Roden View Post
Why are we having this discussion in her Log? We should move this to another thread.
definitely agreed, I don't want to be the one to get this log locked down. I hope people can understand what I was getting at and it isn't critical of Tamara at all, just injecting a dose of real world and reality into the discussion.