CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-30-2009, 07:59 PM   #11
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Head spinning. How much fish oil?

I gotta tell you, I notice nothing from taking this stuff. Maybe I need to take more. Had been taking 2.5 gms per day for months, up'd it to about 4g/day for the last couple weeks.

Just bought the costco pills today.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:51 AM   #12
Colin McNulty

Profile:

Dr Sears (Zone diet) recommends 2.5g of EPA/DHA (in a 2:1 ratio) per day for an ordinary health adult. However he also recommends that you don't take poor quality stuff, and you go for a brand that is at least 60% "pure". I.e. a minimum of 60% of the content is EPA and DHA. So you want to be looking for a brand that has 1000mg of fish oil and comprises 400mg EPA and 200mg DHA at least.

Then, considering you're taking what most people would think a high dose, you also want to be concerned about the levels of mercury, PCBs and dioxins too, so you want to be looking for a brand that's been independently tested for quality. You can get a list of 5 star recommended brands at the International Fish Oil Program here: http://www.ifosprogram.com/IFOS/5StarReports.aspx (wfs)
Old 03-31-2009, 12:46 PM   #13
Ben Prosser

Profile:

Here's a pretty comprehensive article on the subject. Has good info on dosage, ratios, omega 3's vs. 6's, etc.

http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/pu...3-Nutrient.php