CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-14-2007, 11:06 AM   #1
Alex Nisetich

Profile:
I am about to begin a 5 day per week training program using CrossFit to prepare more specifically for the upcoming rugby season. I decided to post it so I could get some advice and tips from those who are more knowledgeable than myself about creating a specific regimen.

I will train Monday through Friday, resting on weekends. I will randomly select two Max Effort days, and I will also randomly select the lift to be performed on those days. Lifts will inlcude, but won't be limited to the following: power clean, clean and jerk, snatch, push press, push jerk, overhead press, any squat variation (back, front, OH, weighted pistol), deadlift, bench press, weighted pullups, weighted dips. Rep schemes on Max Effort days will vary between 5x5, 7x3, 7x1, 3-3-3-2-2-2, etc. One randomly selected day per week will be a long distance run. Every other week I will do one of the named workouts, and also whenever they are posted as the WOD on this site. For the remaining two days a week, I will do the WOD as posted. I will also incorporate sprinting workouts into ME days, using hill sprints, shuttle runs, and field work. I will work at normal intensity for three weeks at a time, taking the fourth week to reduce intensity as a precaution to avoid overtraining and injury.
Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
Ben Kimmerle

Profile:
You might want to sub in incline-bench for regular bench becasuse it better replicates the pushing movement in rugby. Also be careful not to overtrain. It wouldn't be a bad idea to maybe put your two days off in other places to give yourself some time to rest, especially after ME lifting days where you also are sprinting. I know you're probably trying to get in a ton of stuff before your season starts, and I play rugby too and know I have to get all I can out of these last few weeks, but approach it practically.
Old 07-14-2007, 06:35 PM   #3
Ash Sinclair

Profile:
It seems like a lot of work there Alex, when does your season start? how long are you planning on doing this program for?

If you're keen on tweaking your CF to better suit your Rugby training - drop me a line at ashleyjcsinclair@hotmail.com and I'll pass on some stuff i use on our team. I'm currently the Strength and Conditioning Coach for an A Grade rugby team here in South Australia, we're in the last couple of weeks of the regular season so I've had a good chance at what has worked for the guys during pre-season and in-season.

Ash
Old 07-15-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
Alex Nisetich

Profile:
Ben, thanks for the suggestion on incline bench. I'm really not worried about overtraining; if anything my tendency is not to train hard enough, which is one reason I'm getting out five times a week. I have had good success with a 5/2 program before, and I'm not afraid to take an extra day off if I need to.
Ash, I'd love to hear what you're doing for your side -I'll send you a message with some more questions.
I already picked my lifts and rep schemes for this week, by writing them down on pieces of paper and drawing them out of a hat. This is what the upcoming week will look like:

Mon: Weighted dips, 3-3-3-2-2-2
Tue: WOD as posted
Wed: run 5 miles
Thu: WOD as posted
Fri: Back squat 5x5

Sounds pretty manageable to me. I'll gradually add in the sprinting work, to make sure I'm not biting off more than I can chew. Thanks for the advice, I'll post my progress every couple weeks if anyone's interested.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #5
Kevin Mills

Profile:
Just a quick question. How often do you run 5 milles in Rugby? When you start adding the sprint work are you still going to be running the five miles? Or one week sprints and one week cardio?
Old 07-15-2007, 10:36 PM   #6
Kevin Mills

Profile:
Alex, I have a sprint work program/agility program for you if you are interested. We used it at Oregon State for Football when I played there. Let me know.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:15 PM   #7
Andy Shirley

Profile:
http://www.concept2.co.uk/training/rugby.php
www.concept2.co.uk/docs/training/rugby_training_guide.pdf
http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=921

All links go to info I've found valuable for rugby training. All are work/family safe, well maybe not the PM link, haven't gone through it to check for vulgarity.

I would ditch the 5-miler and do something mixed modal.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
Alex Nisetich

Profile:
Thanks, for the info guys. Yeah Kevin, I'd like to see your sprint program, it may have some good carryover to rugby. And no, you never actually run five miles in rugby, but you do run almost constantly for 80 minutes. I do long runs because they are good for endurance, and also for recovery. Because they are sub-maximal and low-power output, they are almost like an active rest day. This week is going pretty well, I'm looking forward to tomorrow's WOD.