CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-29-2008, 02:23 AM   #1
David Johnsson

Profile:
Why am I not getting any results?

Hey everybody! I've been training crossfit for 6 months now (that and muay thai) however with very little results. I don't eat like a pig, I eat "zonish" wich means no pasta, no flour or sugar of any kind but without all the complex messurments that zone has and still not meaning that I eat exessive amounts of anything.

However I stand still at between 107 and 110 kilos, I actuelly gained 5 kilos when I started with crossfit at then I was 105 kilos.
I mean sure I've gained muscles but that doesent explain why I still got rather much fat round the stomach area.

I've had periods of hard training before with allot of better results then this, difference beeing this time that since 6 months back I've quit smoking, but can quit smoking explain my extreme difficulties with losing weight 6 months from the quit date?

It really feels discouring not getting the results I want when putting in so much work. So anybody got any ideas?
Old 06-29-2008, 03:12 AM   #2
James Forshaw

Profile:
Re: Why am I not getting any results?

You don't mention your performance level, so by results I assume you mean losing fat, right? If so, here is a list which, if you adhere to 90% of the time, will make you lean around the stomach (as well as give you sound performance and maintain your lean mass).

1. Eat real food in Zone proportions - real food as in animal protein, eggs, veggies, fruit and nuts/oil. This way you'll be getting top quality nutrients in one of the most useful ratios that has been devised.

2. Ensure you rest adequately - I've heard muay thai training is extremely demanding, so allow extra days recovery if your body is feeling spent. And aim for 8-9 hours of sleep a night (I've really made an effort with this only last week and I'm already feeling the benefit).

3. Drink water almost constantly (a glass whenever you go into the kitchen works well)

Probably the most important thing is to remember that no matter how hard you train, if you aren't recovering fully, it'll all be for nothing.
Personally, I don't think smoking itself affects your weight. I think that people generally smoke instead of eating sometimes, and so that's how they stay thin. If you're eating smart then I don't think smoking affects your weight.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:26 AM   #3
Alex Europa

Profile:

What's your height? Do you have a workout log we can check out? What's your work schedule like? How often do you party/drink? There are LOTS of reasons that you may not be seeing aethesetic results. How about your fitness? Is your Fran time improving? Are you able to complete more WODs as Rx'd? We need WAY more info to help you out.

Also, people say that weighing and measuring is complex. I just don't see it. For example, you want to make a Zone snack of pineapple, cottage cheese, and macadamia nuts (a GREAT snack, btw). You're gonna have to chop up the pineapple anyways, so once it's chopped, just use a measuring cup and scoop out a 1/2 cup. You have to spoon out the cottage cheese, so again, use your measuring cup (it can even be the same one to save on dishes) and scoop out - gasp - a 1/2 cup. Lastly, take 2-4 macadamia nuts (depending on your fat portions) crush them up and drop them in the bowl. Voila! A perfectly measured 2 block snack.

How is that ANY harder or more complex than not weighing and measuring? Because you have to do what, take out a measuring cup? And it's not like using a scale is more difficult. Just take whatever object you want to measure and put it in a bowl with a known weight. Some simple subtraction and you know how much the food item weighs.

I might've come off a bit harsh, but to me it seems like the most obvious answer is your diet. If you don't have that dialed in, then you aren't going to get the results you want. What is the most complex part of the weighing and measuring for you? Is there something we can clarify that will make it seem easier?

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get some answers here that will get you where you want to be.

Alex
Old 06-29-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
David Wood

Profile:

My diet is probably pretty much like what you describe . . . . "Zonish', not measured, no cheap and easy carbs.

But, I have found that alcohol consumption is (for me) the difference between losing weight and not losing weight.

2 glasses of wine / night (which I dearly enjoy) = no weight loss (no matter what I do in the WODs). Cut out the alcohol, keep up the WODs = improved body composition.

Sad but true.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:37 PM   #5
Steven Bowser

Profile:

sometimes it takes a while for your body to just kick in and start metabolizing. seen people doing everything perfect for months and months then one day it just kicks in.
maybe you should get your hormone levels checked. there are natural alternatives such as tribullus. (sorry if my spelling sucks) it works.
another one is Horney Goat Weed. Think I am joking. Google it.
good luck and dont give up.
Stay away from alcohol it increases your estrogen levels.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #6
Benjamin Brock

Profile:

All these guys have great advice, I'd just like to add that I quit smoking cold turkey in 2005, and that is all it took for me to put on 15lbs over the following 6 months. I didn't change anything in my dietor exercise. But I wasn't CFing back then either. I think that if you keep your diet in check, do CF like your life depends on it, and heed all this other great advice you'll see results.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #7
Benjamin Brock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Forshaw View Post
You don't mention your performance level, so by results I assume you mean losing fat, right? If so, here is a list which, if you adhere to 90% of the time, will make you lean around the stomach (as well as give you sound performance and maintain your lean mass).

1. Eat real food in Zone proportions - real food as in animal protein, eggs, veggies, fruit and nuts/oil. This way you'll be getting top quality nutrients in one of the most useful ratios that has been devised.

2. Ensure you rest adequately - I've heard muay thai training is extremely demanding, so allow extra days recovery if your body is feeling spent. And aim for 8-9 hours of sleep a night (I've really made an effort with this only last week and I'm already feeling the benefit).

3. Drink water almost constantly (a glass whenever you go into the kitchen works well)

Probably the most important thing is to remember that no matter how hard you train, if you aren't recovering fully, it'll all be for nothing.
Personally, I don't think smoking itself affects your weight. I think that people generally smoke instead of eating sometimes, and so that's how they stay thin. If you're eating smart then I don't think smoking affects your weight.
I do think smoking affects your weight. Here's why:

1) Yes, you are dead-on with the oral fixation thing. People tend to eat more after quitting smoking. But I didn't eat more, I chewed on toothpicks and sugar-free gum and still managed to gain noticeable weight.

2) But it is a well known fact that nicotine is a stimulant. And like caffeine, it speeds up every single process in the body known to man, including oxidative metabolism, which is responsible for burning fat. Of course, the effect is blunted over time as you develop a tolerance, but it never fully goes away. And by taking away this stimulus, I think it can have an effect on weight.

I've seen a ton of evidence through my education in physiology that supports this, but no one has ever really addressed it specifically. SO...this is all my opinion, and I don't have any studies that support it.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:07 PM   #8
David Johnsson

Profile:

First off I'd like to thank for all the feed back, this is why I love cross-fit everybody's so supportive.

Well here some more problems with the zone for me:
1. All messurments are in american messurments wich makes every meal a math problem, having to translate all of it to the metric system.
Zone itself is very mathematical in itself, wich is a problem for me beeing a C or D averege in math (roughly translated).
2. I'm not alone in my household wich would mean I would have to make two seperate meals each time I cook or having my gf making food she wount eat,
btw how do other people solve this problem? It's either making seperate meals or get the rest of the family on board the zonetrain right?

My fran time is 12:34 and that's with jumping pull-ups and 40 kilos of weight.
I'm approx 6'1 (184 cm) and my waist is 103 cm.

I got out drinking once a month and I seldomly drink more then 8 beers.

Plus I should add I go jogging each morning before breakfust.

On the postive side I have seen results in strength and so on but I'm not getting the results I'm seeking. I've had periods of wich I've done other types of training and getting faster results however those have been during the times I smoked. And I think it's the amount of smoking also adds up, I used to smoke 2 packs a day so I think that's a factor. I've smoked for ten years from the age of 14 to the age of 24.

Should I see a doctor about this? Does this indicate a larger health problem?

What also ****es me off is that my gf who's using laxitives is losing way more weight then me and is getting much faster results with hardly any exercise. However I do realize that it can't be a very healthy way to lose weight.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:07 PM   #9
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Are you intaking enough fat and protein?. Got to eat fat, good fat to burn fat ( ketogenesis " atkins " ). Jogging doesn't mean too much. It's extra exercise but not really the fat burner everyone thinks it is.

Push comes to shove, perhaps look into doing some thyroid tests if you run out of options.

Are you eating often enough to stimulate your metabolism? Smaller frequent meals will stimulate your metabolism. Are you eating lots of cheap carbs ( grains, bread, starches ( potatoes/beans ]).
Old 06-30-2008, 03:26 PM   #10
Camille Lore

Profile:  

I hear ya about people using less than healthy means and losing weight. A close friend of mine was eating like crap and going to the gym 1-2 times a week and losing weight almost as fast as I was. Fast forward 3 months and I look like I am losing weight and am more healthy- i.e. muscle tone and loss of blob. My friend's weight loss has slowed and she definitely doesn't look as fit as me. She is now asking me a lot of questions about what I do...