CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-05-2006, 02:54 AM   #1
Gareth Healy

Profile:

They might get credit for posting good times, but when it comes down to it, their only cheating them selfs. Crossfit is Elite fitness, not Elite time poster.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:55 AM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Gareth is right Rich...at the end of the day, such a person is only cheating him/herself.

However...your first post here being a ***** session about someone else that you feel is getting too much credit...that's pretty lame. Don't worry about what others are doing, keep your mind on your own work.

(Message edited by h2o_goalie on May 05, 2006)
Old 05-05-2006, 05:39 AM   #3
bill fox

Profile:

Isn't this mystery cheater going to read this if he's someone who posts times? Who do you work out with? What kind of times are we talking about? What's you're time? I'm hoping the person you're talking about will respond.

1) What's a "full squat"? When I first saw Greg A's pullups, I thought, well there not "full" pullups. When I did Angie the question of "full" pullups became silly. Not every pullup is a "big fat" pullup, but they still work. Not everyone's knees go *** to grass.

2) A "full" squat changes over time. If the guy's really just cheating then Matt's right, who's he cheating? No money for the fastest WOD time. But as I've seen many times (TSC, RKC, seminars), when you meet someone from the internet in person, the reality of what they post becomes clear pretty fast.

3) If someone's doing Angie in 13:00 but you think they should sqaut 2" deeper, sounds like sour grapes. If you're doing a metcon workout and you're ROM is only 90%, do you think the effect is diminished? Dangerous form is one thing, this is another.

4) Here's a Q, have you been to a comp or a cert yet? Basically, I put almost zero stock in anything that's not witnessed or on tape at this point. I've seen Matt's muscle up, Greg's Angie, Jeff Martin's 50 pullups. I did my DL, Pullup and GS stuff at comps with lot's of people there.

The whole context of the post makes it sound "made up" to me.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:04 AM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Virtuosity was the key term at the last seminar. A form checker could change your life. We all agree, your cheating yourself by cheating in the WOD, we also agree starting a post to ***** about someone is lame.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:56 AM   #5
Jeff Martin

Profile:
There is a difference between cheating a movement, not understanding a movement, and not being able to perform a movement.
Cheating should be scorned (except in a fight). Live in fear of a CrossFitters scorn when they catch you cheating to get a better time.
Ignorance on the other hand doesn't deserve scorn. Explanation and demonstration usually can clear it up. We all have movements we cannot perform correctly due to various problems. Once they are pointed out, those of us that want to be better, do skill work on our trouble areas. When the movement shows up in a WOD we do the best we can, and hopefully a little better than the last time.

All of that having been said, if your form doesn't begin to break down in a WOD you aren't working hard enough. If you are not trembling on the edge of disaster your not pushing yourself enough. The job of the trainer in the WOD, is to push you to that point and catch you before you go over the edge. On Sat. mornings at Brand X you'll hear regular CrossFitters coaching each other. "Deeper" "That one doesn't count" "Lock it out" It takes courage to get in the face of someone doing the WOD and tell them their last rep doesn't count.

Get some.
Old 05-05-2006, 07:25 AM   #6
bill fox

Profile:

Jeff

To follow up on something you said, and maybe hijack this thread in a hopefully more interesting direction, the posted WOD today, 5th set, guys reps, ok/dangerous/too heavy a dumbell? I'm interested in what you see. IMO it's crosses over into I'd tell him to grap 60s to finish. I agree with what you said about if you don't break down a little you're just coasting, but it's a thin line. Nice to have something to look at (and absolutely no disrespect to the guy in the vid who is indeed getting some, with heavier weights then I could use, and toughing it out). Theoretical discussion about training philosophies.

You make a nice point at the end. I'm finding it takes a lot of integrity to jump back on the bar and do the 10th pullup when no one's looking. I'm not sure whether it would be better or worse to have someone else to be ****ed at instead.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:23 AM   #7
Stanley Kunnathu

Profile:
I respect a guy who stops his squat 2" higher because he knows that he's losing is lordotic arch and then does focus work to get lower with good form.

Bill,

The aesthetic vs power debate shows up every once in a while. Coach Sommer didn't like Greg A's muscle ups because they weren't lockout and dead hang. Coach Glassman argues that real world doesn't require perfect form it requires sustained power. That's what Crossfit trains. At the same time, virtuosity is an important quality that can only improve your fitness.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #8
Mark Reinke

Profile:
Movement only improves with flexibility, proper balance/firing of/within the kinetic chain, and practice. I noticed in today's WOD video that the female's knees were collapsing inward something horrible! To me this is a good example of an imbalanced kinetic chain. Her glutes could be weak, her inner thigh/adducters could be too tight, just to name a few possible roots to the prob. Yet whoever was coaching that evolution with those two just told them to "keep going", not "keep going, and push those knees out!". That's one difference between a great coach/trainer and an average coach.
Old 05-05-2006, 08:46 AM   #9
bill fox

Profile:

Stanley

Not sure what that means. I'm agreeing here with coaches CONCEPT, and I think I said exactly that about Greg's pullups, if you can do 100 pullups in 5 minutes, i'm not measuring where your chin is. I think the virtuosity thing comes in, at that point, for the doer. I noticed on Greg's demo on the 100/100 WOD someone comments that the pullups look really smooth or efficiant, which I'm sure is something he's working on.

Discussing where form breakdown passes from "getting some" to bad idea is not contra CF as i understand it.

Where it gets really good is where you see an effort like Gregs in that demo where both are happening at once.
Old 05-05-2006, 10:18 AM   #10
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Everybody has their weaknesses and strengths. Everybody. Greg;s workouts are not the pinnacle of technique. That's his weakness. Show me someone who doesn't have Crossfit weaknesses - they don't exist. Crossfit can always find something that needs work. If it didn't, it'd be called Curves.