CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-03-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Douglas Wheeler

Profile:
Fish Head Stew

This winter I started ice fishing with a vengance and have been wildly successful. Sometime in December I came upon the idea of saving the fish heads (in the freezer) and somehow integrating them into my diet to take advantage of all the wild fishy goodness. Fast forward a few months and now I have several large zip-loc bags of fish heads filling my freezer.

Any suggestions as to what I should do with them?
Have fun with this one, so long as the suggested recipes sound edible, I'll give them a try.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:26 AM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: Fish Head Stew

google fish head stew asian cuisine there should be ample number of recipes

or just boil them down a while for a fish stock and then freeze. later when you need it you have it.

again google fish soup stock.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
Amanda Hicks

Profile:

I would boil the heads with some veggies to make a stock and then use the stock in fishy soups- maybe some thai coconut shrimp concoction- some coconut milk, shrimp, carrots, basil, lemon grass- something for spice- maybe a bit of cayenne and cumin- I don't know making that up off the top of my head.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Doug;

Pack up 5-10 lbs with dry ice, ship to me, I'll get back to you.

I'm thinking pressure cook, time unknown at this point, fish/bones could break down then soften, then either make soup, stew, add nut flours/veggies, make fish loaf or patties.

PM me, I'll provide address, thanking you advance.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:48 AM   #5
Tom Fetter

Profile:

Back in the day, I just used them as bait in crab traps ...
Old 04-03-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Adam Black

Profile:

That's easy, cedar board fish head bake. Take the heads place them on a cedar plank, cook at 350 for one hour. Remove from oven, throw away the fish and eat the board!
Old 04-03-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
David Fuhrer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Wheeler View Post
This winter I started ice fishing with a vengance and have been wildly successful. Sometime in December I came upon the idea of saving the fish heads (in the freezer) and somehow integrating them into my diet to take advantage of all the wild fishy goodness. Fast forward a few months and now I have several large zip-loc bags of fish heads filling my freezer.

Any suggestions as to what I should do with them?
Have fun with this one, so long as the suggested recipes sound edible, I'll give them a try.
Hey Douglas.....there's some great advice to your question already, but permit me to offer my humble addition.

I'm nothing less than fish bone lover!

Here's what I do....

1.Microwave the fish parts (head, body parts with bones, tail....whatever) and enough water to cover them for about 4 minutes on high power (this assumes starting with room temperature fish parts).

2. Separate the edible meat and fat from the bones. Put the edible stuff aside for eating, freezing, whatever. Also pour the water that was in the heating dish into a container....it's full of great oil deposits (especially if the fish you are working with is of higher fat content)....keep it and drink or cook with it.

3. Place remaining bones (from whatever body parts....and they'll be in many different shapes) with enough new water to cover them back in the heating dish....and microwave for about an hour. You may need to add more water at some point....maybe not, depends on your dish and your microwave power. I usually do this in two 30 minute shots, stirring the bones after the first 30 minutes.

4. Assuming you started with about one fish worth of bones....after 60 minutes on high power in the microwave....the bones will be perfect.....ready to eat. They will actually be soft....truly edible.....and VERY DELICIOUS!!

Lots of "just kidding" posts on the forum (not this thread) from other authors.....but Douglas, this one from me is.....for real. Try it....you'll never buy anything less than whole fish again.

CHEERS!

David
Old 04-03-2008, 01:25 PM   #8
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fuhrer View Post

Lots of "just kidding" posts on the forum (not this thread) from other authors.....but Douglas, this one from me is.....for real. Try it....you'll never buy anything less than whole fish again.

David
Who's kidding? While I like the idea of nuking, Pressure Cooking would also be a viable option. Now, just have to find a source, as I don't have the patience to fish.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
David Fuhrer

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Cohen View Post
Who's kidding? While I like the idea of nuking, Pressure Cooking would also be a viable option. Now, just have to find a source, as I don't have the patience to fish.
Hey Jay....just to clarify....my reference to the multitude of "just kidding" posts was to such posts in other threads, not this one. :-)

Pressure cooking or even stove top cooking would work, too.....but the microwave does it with so little mess or fuss....and completes the job in 60 minutes.

If you're still around, Jay....question for ya'. Have you noticed any additional "carb cravings" since you added a bit of raw dairy to your diet? I've heard this can happen....and I know you're dialed in enough to your diet and biofeedback that you'd recognize it if it happened.

CHEERS!

David
Old 04-03-2008, 01:59 PM   #10
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Fuhrer View Post
Hey Jay....just to clarify....my reference to the multitude of "just kidding" posts was to such posts in other threads, not this one. :-)

Pressure cooking or even stove top cooking would work, too.....but the microwave does it with so little mess or fuss....and completes the job in 60 minutes.

If you're still around, Jay....question for ya'. Have you noticed any additional "carb cravings" since you added a bit of raw dairy to your diet? I've heard this can happen....and I know you're dialed in enough to your diet and biofeedback that you'd recognize it if it happened.

CHEERS!

David
David, I always spice my food with HOT stuff, so when I'm done eating, I really crave something either sweet or soothing, so I've taken to brushing teeth, maybe some mouth wash. If it fits, that's when I might have a glass of milk, little bit of whey, or cocoa powder would work. Sometimes a piece of gum or mint, evening, I move right to a glass of wine, that seems to take work.

Thanks for thoughts on fish heads, will have to keep on the lookout next time I'm near a good fish market.
Be well.