CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-19-2004, 09:33 AM   #1
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Went to a No-Gi session last night. We were doing some drills. Started practicing take downs. The guy I was working with got on one knee and grabbed my right leg. Marcio said "Go". Next thing I knew, I was on the ground screaming. I looking down and my left kneecap was turned sideways and on the outside of my knee. After about a minute and a half it slid back into place. Went to the Doctor today - all is well. I didnt tear/rip/fracture/chip anything; definitely good news. The Dr. suggested I stay off of it for 7-10 days.

Any thoughts on exercises/movements to help rehab the knee? Also, any thoughts on what I should do for my workouts? Upper body WODs? Pull ups, dips, etc? Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 05-19-2004, 09:39 AM   #2
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
This is probably blasphemy, but I like using machines for rehabilitation work. I have mild chondromalacia (kneecap slides a little bit to the side, rather than smoothly over the joint) which causes some aches and pains. Leg extensions as part of my warm up have always helped.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:36 PM   #3
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Same happened to me in Judo, luckily I could put it back straight away. Just take it easy and when it hurts stop, there is nothing wrong with doing squats but don't have any illusions of 20 reps with 300lb! Once again, easy does it.
Old 05-19-2004, 06:05 PM   #4
George Koupatadze

Profile:
Jay. Another coincidence. I had a little nasty injury too. I guess we newbies better get used to them. I was doing some grappling drills in my Krav Maga class and got punched in the teeth by accident - two of my teeth are chipped. From now on, I think I'll wear the mouthguard every time even when grappling.
Old 06-01-2004, 12:52 AM   #5
Daniel B Silver

Profile:  
Wear a brace with a patella stabilizer (hole in the middle) when you train. It helps quite a bit. Or you can get some grappling knee-pads which are very tight fitting all the way around. Both are good options. It seems that there are some limitations with the human body that evolution is still catching up to. A lot of people who don't have knee problems use the pads. Grappling can be suprisingly hard on your knees as I'm sure you know. Good luck.

-D.