CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-16-2007, 10:23 PM   #1
William Goldsmith

Profile:
Saving the knurling on your olympic bar

I just put together my York Squat Stands today that I purchased from Allison Foreman along with a Glute Ham Bench and some other items. I have read about people wanting to know what to do with the bare metal cradles that hold the bar so that they can protect the knurling on the bar. I went to Lowe's today and picked up some Grippers. They are rubber/foam pads with a durable top and adhesive back. There are two 4' x 5" pads to a package and they cost about $3.50. I cut them in strips to fit the cradles and I think they will work well. They match the color of the cradles perfectly and you can barely tell they are there. Eventually, I think they will need to be replaced due to wear. But, I think it will take a while. Also, given their cost, I think they are a worthwhile investment to protect my bar which cost $210 without shipping.

I also want to thank Allison for all of her help. She has been fantastic to deal with and I recommend her highly.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:43 PM   #2
William Goldsmith

Profile:
Re: Saving the knurling on your olympic bar

The size should read 4" x 5". Sorry about that.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

I just bought 3 sets of the York Press Squat Stands as well. I went to an industrial hardware store and bought 3/16th inch thick rubber of the same type as horse stall mats and gorilla glue. I cut the pieces to fit and glued them on. The rubber will probably hold up indefinitely. I just hope the glue does as well.

I will post pictures tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:55 PM   #4
Clay Jones

Profile:

I just use athletic tape. Works fine.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:39 AM   #5
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Jones View Post
I just use athletic tape. Works fine.
I was using tape on my TDS stands, but it eventually starts to wear through and get gunk on the bars.

Here is a picture of the rubber on the York Stands. I held them on with masking tape overnight to let the glue set. It is not the prettiest thing in the world but it should protect the bars.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	York5.jpg
Views:	736
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	981  
Old 11-19-2007, 11:41 AM   #6
William Henniger

Profile:

Ahmik has a good idea with the gorilla glue, you could also use the 3M tape to hold the rubber in. 3M makes tape that will suspend a tank.

Ahmik,

When you put the chunk of rubber into the catch, do you end up with enough depth for the bar not to pop back out? We have been using the 1/4" rubber with the 3M tape to avoid losing the pocket for the bar.

By the way, Doug and Miki told me you have a sweet place. They are recovering from quick rope burns, haha

Bill
Rogue Fitness
http://www.roguefitness.com
Old 11-19-2007, 11:50 PM   #7
Ahmik Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
Ahmik has a good idea with the gorilla glue, you could also use the 3M tape to hold the rubber in. 3M makes tape that will suspend a tank.

Ahmik,

When you put the chunk of rubber into the catch, do you end up with enough depth for the bar not to pop back out? We have been using the 1/4" rubber with the 3M tape to avoid losing the pocket for the bar.

By the way, Doug and Miki told me you have a sweet place. They are recovering from quick rope burns, haha

Bill
Rogue Fitness
http://www.roguefitness.com
Bill,

There seems to be plenty of room in the catch. The rubber I am using is only 3/16th inch thick. I did not know about the 3M tape. That would have saved me a lot of mess.

Ahmik
Old 11-21-2007, 04:28 AM   #8
Alex Rosch

Profile:

I got to thinking about this, and doing it on the cheap...(not that it's not already cheap )
I was thinking about getting some inner-tube from a tire-shop...the kind used in OTR tires...and glueing that on to my power-rack. It's a york FTS, so the spot-arms are nice and flat. Was thinking about using contact cement...is the gorilla glue the ticket? Are these tire-tubes going to be worth the effort?

Old 11-29-2007, 12:48 AM   #9
Alex Rosch

Profile:

Ok...so I have a vinyl mat that protects carpets in uber-high trafic areas...and I'm going to glue this to the powdercoat of my power-rack. It's pretty cold out these days and don't know how well gorilla glue is going to set up in an unheated garage...does anyone know if contact cement would set up better and bond the textured side of the mat (fine pores ~1mm^2) to the powder coat?
Any thoughts?