CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:33 PM   #1
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
More food stuff. Our BBQ wore out after many years of good service so my wife and I have been researching what we wanted to replace it with. We were ready to get one of those mondo propane powered stainless steel jobs because they are so easy and convienent even though all the BBQ afficionados insist Webber and charcoal is the way to go. I wanted propane because it is so easy even though I was pretty convinced cooking with charcoal did taste better.

THE SOLUTION: Traeger - the genius offspring of a BBQ and a pellet stove. We went to a place in Des Moines, WA. where the first of every Saturday they have some Trager's set up in front of this meat store and they give out samples. I ate some chicken and steak off a toothpick and decided right on the spot that we had to have one of those heaven sent devices. If you have read some of my other food related posts you are aware that I really love food. If any of you share that passion and/or you really want the best BBQ every made, you need to check out Traeger.

Of course it's not cheap and with a couple extra bags of fuel for the Elite model with a stainless steel door and some other upgrades over last year's model, we put nearly a grand on the card and drove home with our new Traeger. I did the prep stuff they tell you to do, cooked two chicken breasts and two small sirloin steaks in 28 minutes and it was as good as any chicken I have ever had and every bit as good as Ruth's Chris or any other fabulous steakhouse I have ever been to.

Sure it turns out fantastic food but how hard it is it to use? Turn it on, wait 10 minutes, put on your food. You can put a medium sized Papa Murphy's pizza in there had have a brick oven tasting pizza. It is a convection BBQ so you don't have to flip the food over and it cooks perfectly evenly.

Something else to do with that Chocolate Latte Kahula. Grab your Starbucks Mocha Frappichino and drink a couple swallows. Pour in about a shot of the Kahula and prepare to swoon.

If you need the world's best BBQ or the world's most refreshing and delicious coffee flavored cold beverage...those are the best suggestions I can offer.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:17 AM   #2
David S Keisler

Profile:
Eugene... your timing is perfect..we are redoing our deck & trying to decide on a grill replacement. We have natural gas...but I was thinking about switching tp propane as it is more portable.... I prefer the taste of traditional charcoal...my wife is partial vegeterian & will eat fish... so the Traeger seems a good comprimise...BUT perhaps an expensive one... ie $20 for a 20# bag of pellets...I assume when the grill is turned off the pellets soon go out & t...hose over the heating element can be relit next time... Have you tried fish...? salmon ect
Also have you heard of the Big Gneen Egg grill? Also do you have any experience with wood pellet stoves for heating homes...? they seem to be more popular in the mid west... but wood pellets here in S>C could be expensive... hopefully not $1/#....thands
Old 05-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #3
Paul Findley

Profile:
I have toyed with the idea of a corn stove. Similar to wood pellets, only it will run dried corn too. I actually ran across corn furnaces that are plug in replacements to the furnace in one's basement.

I figured it would take about 15+ years to pay off the corn stove as an additional heat source to supplement natural gas, so I would have been mostly asthetic.

Now I hear beef and milk are going to be more expensive as corn is diverted for ethanol.

This message has little to do with BBQ sorry.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:11 AM   #4
David S Keisler

Profile:
Thanks Paul... those points are real considerations...Im also thinking about a traditional wood burning stove as I could cut my own wood for free...& would end up doing veggies on whatever grill we end up with...I think the easier it is to use/fire up the more I would use it... & PS if Lynne is monitoring this ...well its all about eating healthy..ZONE like foods ect[to support better WOD results}
Old 05-06-2007, 11:05 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Darn you Eug! I just bought a new stainless steel grill, that will probably last for YEARS. Wish I had known about this a month ago! Sounds very cool. Just bought some hand made Italian sausage, experimenting with IF and can't eat till 3. I'm dieing here!
Old 05-06-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Sorry Larry, I wanted to get it out to those that were interested and I haven't been keeping up with your grill buying schedule. I would have wound up with what you have because I wanted one of those big fancy things but in the end, it's still propane. The wood pellet smoke really infuses the food with flavor and the convection cooking prevents any sort of burning and cooks the food evenly every time.

David - just like with a pellet stove for heating, like I have in my gym, an auger drops the pellets into a little cup. A heating element glows red hot and with the aid of a little fan ignites the pellets in the cup. Once the fire is lit it is self sustained by the new pellets the auger brings in. That flame burns under a steel tray and the heat is conducted through the barrel shaped BBQ with convection and creates the wonderfully even heat that this type of cooker is known for. There is an angle drip pan under the grill surface that catches the dripings and guides them to the drip spout and then into a little bucket for disposal. It leaves some ash in the cup after you use it and though it is not necessary I am really into a clean grill so I'll be cleaning mine out each time I use it. I just cooked some more chicken and am letting the BBQ cool down a bit before I clean it out for the next use. I think I may run it without cooking anything for another 45 minutes or so to season it a bit better...still a bit of black smoke when I first fire it up.

I've only cooked chicken and steak so far. No fish or veggies yet. I've got about 3 hours on the BBQ so far and the 20 lb hopper is down maybe 4 pounds of pellets.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:36 PM   #7
David S Keisler

Profile:
Eugene ,thanks for the input...now to find a dealer near by...Im really interested...got to have a non WOD project to keep be buisy following impending hernia surgery.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
David S Keisler

Profile:
PS what kind of stove do you have in your gym Eugene?
Old 05-06-2007, 04:43 PM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I've got to check with you prior to any major purchases of basically anything! You do better product research then consumer reports.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:53 PM   #10
David S Keisler

Profile:
Dude...he's the guru to go to!