CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-25-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Kevin Edwards

Profile:
I have a question about which is more important. doing the wod or getting the proper amount of sleep(8 or 9 hours).
I work in a hospital OR and never know when my day will end.Sometimes I get home late or are to tired to do the wod.But in order to get up early I would only get 7-7 1/2 hours sleep.If I had to give up one ,which one should go .sleep or wod.
thanks
Kevin
Old 05-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
Connie Morreale

Profile:
7 hours sleep sounds like sleeping in to me!:happy:
Old 05-26-2007, 03:59 AM   #3
Chris Honnon

Profile:
I rarely if ever get 7+ hours of sleep. Even on the occasional weekend away from the kids my body is pretty much conditioned to waking up at 5:30am now because that's what I've taught it to do in order to work on my fitness with the least amount of impact on my family.

If I decided to work on getting more sleep instead of finding time to train I would certainly be better rested however I would still be mildly obese, have blood sugar problems, have trouble breathing when going up stairs, etc, etc, etc. I would be a mess but at least I wouldn't be tired!

Obviously this is different for everyone. I'm happy to forgo the extra sleep in order to partake in this transformation of my body. I'm confident that the long-term benefits of staying fit will far outweigh the long-term benefits of getting more sleep. This might not be the case for someone who is already somewhat fit, maybe there would be different priorities. Hopefully I'll know someday!

Chris

Old 05-26-2007, 04:44 AM   #4
Kevin Perry

Profile:
I work a night shift which runs from 8 pm to 7 am 4 -6 days a week on a rotating schedule witch a company that likes to make the 3rd shift work over time as often as possible. I rarely get more than 4 hours of sleep per day.

If you have a good diet and can manage it then power napping at different time of the day may help. But I also suggest that you take a couple days and get a full nights rest to prevent serious fatigue or sickness which can be common on a 3rd shift.

But 7 - 7 1/2? Man I wish I could get 5 or 6 hours.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:52 AM   #5
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Healthy people who exercise actually need less sleep that average Americans. Fit people can get sound sleep easier, and their nervous systems recuperate faster during their sleep. By "less," I mean that a fit person probably needs 6.5-7, while an unfit person needs 9-10 (and never gets it, making him even less healthy).

You should not give up exercise to get sleep, or give up sleep to get exercise. You need them both (and diet) to be healthy! Give up watching Seinfeld instead! You've seen them all already!

I get 7 hours each school night, waking up with an alarm.
On the weekends, I wake up naturally between 7.5-7.75 hours.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:02 PM   #6
Becca Borawski

Profile:
I average about 5 hours of sleep per night and train 4-5x at CrossFit and 2-3x at jiujitsu every week. I get up between 4:30 and 5:30am every morning and have gotten so used to it, that even on the one day a week I get to sleep in 'til 8am I often wake up anyway. I do frequently take a catnap in the late morning or early afternoon, though.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Kevin Edwards

Profile:
thanks alot! you guys(and girls) have blown all my excuses.now I have to get up.
kevin
Old 05-27-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
Vic Blanchard

Profile:
Man you guys are crazy! I get about 9-10 hours a night, plus try to get a 1-2 hour nap in every day! I sacrafice a lot for more sleep, but I feel it works out in recovery and health.

Given that, for as long as I can remember, I have needed more sleep than others.
Old 05-27-2007, 02:35 PM   #9
Jason Lopez-Ota

Profile:
I need to get more sleep. I noticed my performance shoots up when I do.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:31 PM   #10
Brian Yoak

Profile:
Like Patrick noted, those that are fit 'generally' can handle less sleep. I have found that I can function will less sleep now that I am fit and taking care of my body vs. when I was 45lbs overweight and in very poor health.