CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-28-2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
What are your thoughts on exercise in general and Crossfit in particular after undergoing PRK? I know the standard advice is no exercise for a week or so, but I'd like to hear from an opthamologist who actually works out. Thanks, Chris
Old 03-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #2
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Chris:

I almost didn't notice your post...this is one of the few places where I'm just Darrell!

Disclaimer: the following is not medical advice specific to you or to any individual patient and is meant only for general informational purposes. You should always consult with your own personal surgeon if there is a question.

Whew, now that THAT'S out of the way:happy: here's what I tell my PRK or Advanced Surface Laser patients. On the day of the surgery one should go home and nap. Rest for the remainder of the day with eyes closed as much as possible of practical. Take all of your medicines as prescribed. If your bandage contact lens falls out DO NOT PUT IT BACK IN.

After your first post-op visit I personally don't have any objection to any type of exercise except swimming (you should also stay out of hot tubs and steam rooms) and contact sports (including hoops, volleyball, and other sports with a ballistic instrument). Avoid getting hit in the eye (no MA or boxing; avoid bar hopping with hot-headed friends).

Seriously, running, lifting, and general CF carrying on are OK for my patients after day 1. I have friends/patients who skied day one, I lifted day 2 after LASIK, and I took my brother to play golf the day after I did his LASIK. When in doubt, explain your work-outs to your surgeon.

Hope that helps. Feel free to PM me. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
Tim Weaver

Profile:
I found that after my Lasik surgery that going out and looking at chicks made my eyes feel much better. :D
Old 03-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Even the black eye your wife gave you?
Old 03-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #5
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
Doc/Darrell,
Many thanks for the detailed response. That sounds like something I can live with. Seems like most docs would rather throw out a blanket no exercise injunction rather than break down to the patient what's safe and what's not. Tim, I like your idea too. Chris
Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 PM   #6
Tim Weaver

Profile:
Now Linc, you know the Fetching Mrs. TimW hasn't a jealous bone in her body for me to just look.

It was when I tried the Braille method that I got that injury. :-)
Old 03-29-2007, 05:40 AM   #7
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Ah, but Tim, now that you've had LASIK you can see them from so much farther away! Think of it as preventative medicine...

Old 03-29-2007, 05:42 AM   #8
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Hey Chris:

You're welcome. Ask about LASIK if you are a candidate. The big naval aviator study just returned very favorable results, visually and safety-wise, for LASIK vs. PRK. You will recover a little faster with LASIK. Long-term same visual results with both. Just a thought.

Old 03-29-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
Will Nuse

Profile:
I don't remember feeling like doing much of anything for about three days after my surgery. I was so light sensitive I was wearing two pairs of sunglasses inside with the blinds drawn. Not fun.

[threadjack] Dr. White, that's the first I've heard about the LASIK vs. PRK naval aviation study--very interesting, though not all that surprising based on what my opthamologist told me. Any idea when they're going to open up LASIK to all applicants? Thanks for the info. [/threadjack]
Old 03-29-2007, 01:32 PM   #10
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Will:

No worries. My reading in my world is that non-pilots can get in line in the Navy now. First studies in pilots to begin this year I believe. The Navy has been the lead dog in publishing, but I'd bet that the Army has a similar program. DOD is purchasing 10 or 20 new lasers due to these results. I have no military experience so wouldn't know how to counsel someone regarding how to get in line.