CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-30-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
Jason Billows

Profile:
About three weeks ago I really pushed myself hard on some tabata squats. This was after a couple of days of squat intensive WODs. All were done with only bodyweight, but I somehow managed to injur one of my quadricep muscles.

It wasn't a bad injury, but simply a muscle that felt like it had been strained a little. After a couple of days the muscle didn't give me any problems in day to day activities, however it has continued to be very tight and a little sore at the beginning of my workouts. After a couple sets of OHS during my warm ups it loosens up and does not affect my performance.

I'm surprised that such a minor strain/injury has continued to bother me for over three weeks, even if it is only slightly. Has anyone else experienced this? Any suggestions? It certainly isn't bothering me enought to feel I need a break, but is bothering me enough to prompt the post.

Thanks for the input.

Jason

p.s. I have been eating very Zone friendly so I don't think diet has anything to do with it.

Old 03-31-2006, 03:33 AM   #2
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Since it loosens up during warm up, it seems to be a muscular issue, like an increased susceptability to cramp.

Massage your quads, searching for hard lumps or rubber-cable-like parts of the muscle that hurt when pressed hard (trigger point massage). This is best done with the elbow of the same side arm when sitting (easier to achieve the needed pressure). Massage with short, slow strokes in one direction for about a minute or so, several times a day. You should feel some relief immediately after massage if it is a trigger point problem.

Maybe also some more stretching after the workout?

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian
Old 03-31-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
Jason Billows

Profile:
Thanks Christian.

I seem to recall a recent CF Journal on trigger point massage. I'll also give that another read.

Much appreciated.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
Allan Fisher

Profile:
Note that the trigger point(s) involved may not be where the pain is; see http://www.triggerpoints.net/_sgt/m2m2_1.htm for diagrams.