CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-02-2006, 05:03 PM   #1
James Riley

Profile:
Please no flames on this one. I know this topic has been discussed before, but all the threads I could find are about a year old. I would like to hear from the people that were worried about losing size, but have still decided to give Crossfit as try and see how it worked out for them. What were the effects of the Crossfit workout on your visible physique? I know, I know, Crossfit is mainly concerned with total fitness, not beach muscles. However most the posts I have read were about even split, with half the guys saying they got bigger, and the other half saying they lost some mass. It looked like the guys that got bigger all started out pretty small.

Anthony Bainbridge, if you read this, your avatar looks pretty impressive. Is that you after a lengthy Crossfit routine?

I have been on a very similar routine to Crossfit for about four weeks, using Ross Enamit’s Infinite Intensity program. It is all Olympic lifts, metabolic conditioning, and core workouts. It is a little more structured than the WODs which is a little easier for my regimented military mind to grasp. So far I like it a lot, and I don’t think I have lost any size yet.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:44 PM   #2
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
I could get technical, but it really is as simple as this...if you want to keep size or get bigger then you eat more. That is 75% of the game. Also people throw in 5x5 or Max effort days along with crossfit. But eating is the key.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:24 AM   #3
Steven Low

Profile:
Actually, eating is more like 90-95% of the game. There's definitely a reason why caloric restriction or excessive caloric intake is the main reason why gymnasts, oly lifters and even bodybuilders have diet as THE primary factor in gaining or losing weight.

Also, a lot of guys usually have a higher percentage of bodyfat even if they have a large amount of muscle mass, so shrinking is usually relatively inevitable in terms of losing weight since with any regulated diet like the zone or paleo without excessive eating as the metcon workouts CrossFit utilizes are very effective at burning off a lot of fat. Now, I'm sure that there are those who have lost muscle mass, maybe even significant muscle mass, but usually all of these have occurred in conjunction with an increase in strength performance and flexibility.
Old 09-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
James,
I thought that I would lose size, an started crossfit regardless. I have not so far after 1.5 yrs.

Actually I have gained some muscle, although it has been somewhat redistributed, from chest to traps and shoulders. I have also lost a small amount of fat, about 1% over that same 1.5 years.

I am satisifed with this change and am actually confident if I wanted to I could gain more but am not interested. I am 6ft, 185-190, and 7-8% bodyfat (checked by two different methods, not my guess) and 43yrs old.

I have several goals that I am gaining on and additional BW will not help. When I was 18 or 20 I probably would not feel the same. I would be doing even more ME (than I am) in addition to CF and eating a lot more. I am at a point where I want to stay lean, but still maintain good strength.

I am doing most crossfit workouts, and about 50% more volume in the form of ME and skill work. This is about half of the total volume of work I did prior to crossfit.

This probably does not sound impressive, but I have been working out for almost 3 decades. I will take any significant improvement in my 5th decade of life, as a seasoned (recreational) athlete!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:34 AM   #5
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
I've been using Crossfit for almost a year. The avatar pic is a bit old, but I have recent vids that demonstrate I'm still the same size.

Bottom line, as long as your food intake is adequate to maintain/build muscle, you'll do well.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:49 PM   #6
Dan Colson

Profile:
Food and 5x5, ME days are key, as far as beach muscle, I have had clients compete in bodybuilding doing nothing but CF and fair pretty darn well, first show 2nd place. Just remember as you drop body fat you will shrink, thats not all bad though. My idea of CF is that everyone gets real close to their ideal weight making them more functional and better athletes. Functional strebgth and athleticism will take you much further than beach muscles.