CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-21-2007, 04:18 PM   #1
Travis Hall

Profile:

I figure with all the military personnel on this forum someone will know-

I have an Alice pack in good condition, complete with frame. I'm having trouble strapping a 45lb plate to the frame in a way it won't slip all around. So I put the bag back on the frame and tossed the plate in, tightened the straps and it seems really secure. I'm just wondering if the clips on the straps that run vertical (around the bag) and even the bag itself will hold up to this weight? What is the max recommended load on them?

I understand that Military will often ruck more then 45lbs, but I figure that would be more on the frame itself, not in the actual bag. And the distribution may be easier on the bag then a single steel plate.

I don't want to ruin a good bag.

Also, out of curiosity what would the frame's max weight load be? I’m sure the straps would snap before the frame....

Thanks, T.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:32 PM   #2
Kris Freeman

Profile:
What you need to do is make a sand bag out of: sand, garbage bag, and wrap that in riggers tape of duck tape to make a squarish sand bag. That's what we put in our packs for PT events to add extra/specified weight. The sand bag usually fits perfectly in the radio pouch; right at the top opening of the main compartment.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
Jason Steele

Profile:
I've had over 90 lbs in an alice and it just laughed at me. If you really only have a plate to use, put it in the radio pouch and strap in down. I would go with Kris' idea though.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
Grady McDonald

Profile:
The radio pouch gig is the "weigh" to go.
The ruck will hold whatever you can put in it. I've had 125lbs in one before. If a ruck can't hold it, you weren't supposed to be carrying it.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:34 AM   #5
Travis Hall

Profile:

That's great to hear.
I don't really have any sand- unless i go outside and dig up the front yard. I do have the plates ( 1 45 and 2 25's) so I want to stick to using them. I'll toss the 25's into the radio pouch tonight and see how it goes. I'm happy i'm not going to ruin a good bag doing this. The 45 was really secure- no shifting at all. If the 25's fit in the top- then this will be even better, moving the majority of the weight higher on my back.

Thanks everyone, T.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:41 AM   #6
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
Frame and pack should be good for 120+ #s, but if you regularly go over 80-90 its a good idea to drill out the rivets on the frame and replace them with button-head bolts and nuts (use washers on both sides and loctite) and have the stitching at the stress points on the bag reinforced.
Old 06-22-2007, 07:49 PM   #7
Travis Hall

Profile:

Thanks for the tip, Chris.

I duct taped my two 25's together and threw them in the radio pouch (a perfect fit). Tightened all the straps up and it's a great snug fit- no shifting and sitting nice and high on the back. And because of the rack/harness of the alice pack its really comfortable too. Had a great pullup pushup workout!

It's also good to know that I'm not destroying a good ruck sack. For anyone who deosn't have the money for a weight vest I highly recommend getting an army ruck. Next best thing.

Cheers, T.
Old 07-18-2007, 08:47 AM   #8
Tim Davis

Profile:
Grady:
"The ruck will hold whatever you can put in it. I've had 125lbs in one before. If a ruck can't hold it, you weren't supposed to be carrying it."

God knows I second that...