CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-22-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
Steve D.

Profile:

I just found this website and want to begin to equip my home gym. One of my boys wants to train with me. I've checked on the various website links, and wonder what the O-bar length should be...I see most at 7', but some at 6' and some at 5'. I'm only 5'9". Is the 7'bar the one to get? Also, should the center be knurled or not?

Thanks for the advise and help!
Old 11-22-2003, 04:36 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Hello Steve, and welcome!

I'm probably not the best person to advise, because I do most of my training in a gym. I hope your question gets answers from some of the serious "home gym" folks.

I think I would go for at least 6', preferrably 7', because that's what you're going to find almost everywhere else you go. Working with heavy weights will seem very strange if they are as close to the center as a 5-foot bar would put them.

More importantly, though, I would make sure the weight is a standard 45 lbs or 20 kilograms (one or the other) . . . but again, this is mostly just for "standardization" with the rest of the world.

If your boys are still young (small?), then a 5-foot bar at a lighter weight makes sense now . . . but if they're going to grow into strapping teenagers (as we hope), they'll want a "real" bar.

Finally, I like knurling in the center because I like to do 1-arm "suitcase style" deadlifts, and it helps the grip . . . but your mileage may vary.

Welcome to CrossFit!

Dave Wood