CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 06-15-2011, 02:05 PM   #91
John A. Smith

Profile:
Re: 2011 NBA Playoff Thread

Ohio governor's crass attack on LeBron James

Quote:
June 14, 2011|By Roland S. Martin, CNN Contributor

Sports and politics have always mixed. We've had former athletes hold elective office; mayors, members of Congress and governors are always making bets with one another when their teams play each other in big games; and it's great to see the respective national champions or winners in pro sports visit the White House for a congratulatory pat on the back from the president of the United States.

But there are some moments that deserve to be called out, such as Ohio Gov. John Kasich issuing a resolution declaring the Dallas Mavericks honorary residents of the state of Ohio.

Is he stuck on stupid?

The only reason he issued the declaration is to take a swipe at LeBron James, an Ohio native who gave Cleveland seven solid years of play, but left on his own free will when his contract ended to go to Miami.

With the Dallas Mavericks beating LeBron and the Miami Heat, Kasich showed how petty Clevelanders and Ohio residents are who are still upset with LeBron.

He didn't demand a trade. LeBron simply chose to leave Cleveland to go to Miami. This is a guy who never got into trouble, never got arrested, and did a ton of charitable work in the state. So you're upset that he left?

Ohio, you're still mad because of "The Decision"? It's time to grow up and move on. Seriously. If not, y'all need to join Rep. Anthony Weiner and seek treatment.

(continued....) (wfs)
Old 06-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #92
Andy Gann

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Smith View Post
Classy!

DeShawn Stevenson arrested (wfs)

Irving Police Department
Mugshot of Dallas Mavericks player DeShawn Stevenson following his arrest in Irving, Texas.
Wow ... should have had better judgement there!! but hey - has anybody here not ever been drunk in public?
Old 06-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #93
John A. Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
this thread has gotten a bit ugly... you guys know that you don't actually play for the dallas mavericks and miami heat right? i'll never understand how people get so invested in professional sports teams. i love watching sports, and it's cool when my team wins, but let's get real, not one of those players give a crap about me, my town, city, or state. they came because my team paid them the most. i guarantee lebron is laughing on some sunny beach right now while guys who really have nothing to do with the team beat themselves up. if the guy making millions to win is over it quicker than you, you should step away from the tv.
Michael, I posted twice on page 3 that I did not want this to become a LeBron hater thread. Blame the other posters not me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
Wow ... should have had better judgement there!! but hey - has anybody here not ever been drunk in public?
Most people I know never got arrested for it.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #94
Michael Travis

Profile:

The title of this thread is: "2011 NBA Playoff Thread". The 2011 NBA playoffs are over. Why can't this thread be?
Old 06-16-2011, 06:51 AM   #95
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gann View Post
I'm not going to lie, if I just won a world championship, I would be drunk for about a week or two straight, no lie. He didn't even really do anything wrong, just happen to be found by the cops not in the best state to say what was going on near his home. THAT'S really the only place he went wrong, I would have a sober buddy with me the whole time.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:11 PM   #96
Michael Henry

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Travis View Post
The title of this thread is: "2011 NBA Playoff Thread". The 2011 NBA playoffs are over. Why can't this thread be?
Because it is the internet and we love to argue. And this board is a great place to beat dead horses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
i guarantee lebron is laughing on some sunny beach right now while guys who really have nothing to do with the team beat themselves up. if the guy making millions to win is over it quicker than you, you should step away from the tv.

This is my whole point. He shouldn't be over it. If you perform poorly, no matter your profession, and that performance led to not reaching your goal, you should never get over that until it is fixed. Use that to drive you to be better. You know, like us non genetically gifted normal people do... Call me a hater all you want, I don't care, but this is the reason why I don't think he deserves the accolades he gets, and until he fixes them, he probably won't reach his goal. You can take what I said and tell anyone that, not just pro athletes. I told one of my soldiers that before.

Maybe I just expect too much from humanity...
Old 06-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #97
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Henry View Post
This is my whole point. He shouldn't be over it. If you perform poorly, no matter your profession, and that performance led to not reaching your goal, you should never get over that until it is fixed. Use that to drive you to be better. You know, like us non genetically gifted normal people do... Call me a hater all you want, I don't care, but this is the reason why I don't think he deserves the accolades he gets, and until he fixes them, he probably won't reach his goal. You can take what I said and tell anyone that, not just pro athletes. I told one of my soldiers that before.

Maybe I just expect too much from humanity...
I understand your point, but it's his vacation time now. He should be enjoying it. He's had a few days to mull over his mistakes, and think about things. Give him a month or 2 to rest up, and then I bet he hits the gym/court harder than ever. But right now, let the kid enjoy life.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:39 PM   #98
John A. Smith

Profile:

The Lakers should trade for Dwight Howard AND Chris Paul in the off season. They are both 26 years old and in the last year of their contracts. D-Fisher is older than dirt, Andrew Bynum is injury prone, and Pau Gasol sucks eggs!

Kobe, Howard, and Paul on the same team sounds sweet! The Left Coast's Big Three.

The Lakers 2011-2012 Starting Lineup:
PF: Lamar Odom
C: Dwight Howard
SF: Ron Artest
SG: Kobe Bryant
PG: Chris Paul

This would be the best back court in the NBA.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:48 PM   #99
Steven Ngo

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. Smith View Post
The Lakers should trade for Dwight Howard AND Chris Paul in the off season. They are both 26 years old and in the last year of their contracts. D-Fisher is older than dirt, Andrew Bynum is injury prone, and Pau Gasol sucks eggs!

Kobe, Howard, and Paul on the same team sounds sweet! The Left Coast's Big Three.

The Lakers 2011-2012 Starting Lineup:
PF: Lamar Odom
C: Dwight Howard
SF: Ron Artest
SG: Kobe Bryant
PG: Chris Paul

This would be the best back court in the NBA.
Easier said than done. Try some various scenarios for yourself:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

Dwight and Reddick for Bynum and Odom would work. Not sure how one would acquire Paul on top of that. Maybe a multi-team trade (but it's late and i need to hit the road).
Old 06-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #100
Dave Traeger

Profile:

http://piloseo.com/wp-content/upload...ead_horse2.jpg (wfs)