CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 10-15-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Jason Wallis

Profile:
2 things

I'm soon going in for surgery to repair an abdominal wall hernia. Have any of you had to do this, and how soon were you able to get back in action? Even if I'm not working out, I'm active; running, hiking, biking, climbing, and anything else you can think of that sounds like fun. I hate to be inactive!
On an unrelated note, I recently had bloodwork done and the results were as follows:
total choleserol- 196
HDL- 40
LDL- 79
triglycerides- 385... apparently this is a problem? I eat well, not paleo, but I limit mt sugar/starch intake. WTF??
Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #2
Milton Brisson

Profile:
Re: 2 things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Wallis View Post
I'm soon going in for surgery to repair an abdominal wall hernia. Have any of you had to do this, and how soon were you able to get back in action? Even if I'm not working out, I'm active; running, hiking, biking, climbing, and anything else you can think of that sounds like fun. I hate to be inactive!
On an unrelated note, I recently had bloodwork done and the results were as follows:
total choleserol- 196
HDL- 40
LDL- 79
triglycerides- 385... apparently this is a problem? I eat well, not paleo, but I limit mt sugar/starch intake. WTF??
Is your hernia causing you any pain or discomfort? The reason I ask is becuase I am living with an umbilical hernia right now, and my doctor and chiro have both recomended against getting it fixed. It doesnt hurt, so the surgery is unneccessary. Maybe you dont have to get it operated on - its a question you could ask anyway......

Cant help with the triglycerides question......
Old 10-19-2010, 10:19 AM   #3
Meghan Reid

Profile:

I just read something about elevated triglycerides:

http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.p...-in-5-minutes/ WFS

I don't think you're stupid, so don't take offense to the title of the post.

Had you eaten recently before getting the bloodwork done?

Quote:
...eating always raises triglycerides. That’s why doctors measure your triglycerides after a 12-hour fast. To give you an idea of how dramatically eating a meal can affect the measurement, here’s a tidbit I found online:

My blood triglyceride level was alarmingly high 497 mg/dL. It turned out to be a false result. A nurse sent to my home by my life insurance company had taken my blood sample just a few hours after I ate lunch. When my doctor drew my blood after an overnight fast during my annual physical a few months later, my triglyceride level was 97.

Larry Lindner
Tufts University School of Nutrition Science & Policy

If your fasting triglycerides are high, then you do have a problem. But it’s not dietary fat that causes high fasting triglycerides...
Of course, this doesn't mean that this is the reason. You could have a legit issue. Just look into it.
Old 10-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Jason Wallis

Profile:

1. Yes, the hernia is causing quite a bit of discomfort, to the point of keeping me from working out.
2. My first inclination on the triglycerides is a re-test. I do know that I was 14 hours into a fast, though. We'll see...
Old 10-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #5
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Quote:
1. Yes, the hernia is causing quite a bit of discomfort, to the point of keeping me from working out.
Sorry to hear that! Good luck with the surgery and rehab.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:33 AM   #6
Jason Wallis

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton Brisson View Post
Sorry to hear that! Good luck with the surgery and rehab.
Great news! Just left surgeon's office. He says there is no hernia and that I've most likely slightly torn my oblique at the lower attachment. While painful right now, it should heal on it's own.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #7
Milton Brisson

Profile:

Thats great news! Hopefully you dont have to take it too easy! I know how quickly life can get boring without a good WoD to mix things up!
Old 10-22-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
Brian O'Laughlin

Profile:

Quote:
A friend of mine had a similar lipid profile. He had been out drinking the night before the test, which sends the trigs into the stratosphere. A re-test a few days later showed normal levels.
Old 10-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #9
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Quote:
Great news! Just left surgeon's office. He says there is no hernia and that I've most likely slightly torn my oblique at the lower attachment. While painful right now, it should heal on it's own.
Did you have an MRI? There is a type of abdominal hernia called a SPYGELIAN hernia that occurs in the lower abdomen and involves the oblique. Not trying to armchair QB...I had one fixed and still have one on the other side.

An oblique tear will heal...a hernia will not.

--bingo