CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM   #21
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Re: Don't Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
I don't think I've ever called someone a simpleton, and I honestly don't see how because someone mistakenly (or even intentionally) moved some equipment out of his way that it means that a well-trained college athlete is stupid.

Yes, I was in college not too long ago, but when I saw the college athletes training, I made sure to give them respect and heck I even hung around for awhile after my workout to see if I could learn anything from them. And I believe I learned quite a bit from them. My school never had a wrestling team though, and I regret that because wrestlers are among the most athletic people in all of sports, and I would have loved to see how they train.

I've done CF WODs in globo gyms before (globo'd for months in Egypt) and rather than insulting people behind their back because they were disrupting my workout, I tried to compromise. I either asked politely before my workout if I could use a certain piece of equipment for a few minutes, or I adapted my workout so that I wouldn't possibly get in anyone's way.
I'm a Globo-gym solo guy, happily in a gym that is very friendly to CF-style workouts. I carry myself in exactly the manner you describe, Shane, except that once I start (after having cleared my use with everyone present) I don't handle folks moving stuff terribly well. I'm an old guy, though, with 11 years tenure in this gym, so that part of the gig is different from the OP.

The first post was post #23 from a college kid, one who has been called out on the "simpleton" thing and accepted that he was over the top on that. Your post quoted here is good counsel, and as I've stated it is in keeping with your good stuff. It would have been helpful information for the OP starting his CF solo career.

--bingo

Old 09-20-2010, 07:30 PM   #22
Robert Callahan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert D Taylor Jr View Post
Doc,

It's the simpletons thing. Many of us have used and continue to use "Globo-Gyms" I have never had to deal with scholarship athletes, but I have dealt with Command PT at all the Military Gyms that I use. THEY have as much right to be there as I do, they have differing ideas about working out than I do, but they're not stupid. The idea that they are stupid for not CFing is a reason that CF is considered cultish. The fact is Shane was right, it was just the OP. If his worldview is that everyone else is dumber than him because they're not doing what he does then he's the problem.
Thank you for stating it better than myself.

and Bingo,
I appreciate your attempts at judging and insulting me, they were not missed. You clearly know how to lead by example.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:11 PM   #23
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
So what that the kid is young and in college? That grants him permission to be a pompous, arrogant, self centered little puke? This kid does not need any help with his workout, he needs to fix his outlook on life and others. The world does not revolve around him and his CF workout that takes up half the equipment in the gym. "Scholarship athletes" sacrifice A LOT to participate in their sport and should get priority in the gym. If he has a problem with that figure out a time when they are not there, we don't need a message board discussion for people to figure this out.
Agreed

Bottom line is everyone needs to stay humble. As much as you think you know about training/working you, you really don't. I've been doing this going on 10 year and learn something new every day, and am fortunate to work/train with people who know WAY more than I do. Crossfit isn't the only methodology out there - every training program has a reason for doing what they do.

And as for knocking on scholarship athletes, give me a break. Give them some respect. Your average football recruit at a d1 school was power cleaning 315 for reps long before you even could name the olympic lifts. Just stay humble, do your thing, but don't be too quick to judge other athletes.

Last edited by Thomas Green; 09-20-2010 at 09:17 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 06:10 AM   #24
Paul Shortt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
I'm a Globo-gym solo guy, happily in a gym that is very friendly to CF-style workouts. I carry myself in exactly the manner you describe, Shane, except that once I start (after having cleared my use with everyone present) I don't handle folks moving stuff terribly well. I'm an old guy, though, with 11 years tenure in this gym, so that part of the gig is different from the OP.

The first post was post #23 from a college kid, one who has been called out on the "simpleton" thing and accepted that he was over the top on that. Your post quoted here is good counsel, and as I've stated it is in keeping with your good stuff. It would have been helpful information for the OP starting his CF solo career.

--bingo
So if someone comes in to train halfway through you doing filthy fifty, and wants to use a piece of equipment you need, then they are at fault? If you want to train CF, you need to find a CF environment in order to do it without seriously inconveniencing other gym users.

For the OP to call them for moving his stuff is selfish. He's apologised for his post and says he's learnt from it, but a couple of people have jumped to his defence and that is why the thread is still running, because those people are defending a post and attitude that I for one find dislikable.

Reps to those who called the OP on the elitist and naive post, and reps to the OP for accepting the feedback.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:06 AM   #25
Nik Nichols

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Shortt View Post
So if someone comes in to train halfway through you doing filthy fifty, and wants to use a piece of equipment you need, then they are at fault? If you want to train CF, you need to find a CF environment in order to do it without seriously inconveniencing other gym users.

For the OP to call them for moving his stuff is selfish. He's apologised for his post and says he's learnt from it, but a couple of people have jumped to his defence and that is why the thread is still running, because those people are defending a post and attitude that I for one find dislikable.

Reps to those who called the OP on the elitist and naive post, and reps to the OP for accepting the feedback.
I agree with most of this. Some came on this thread and pointed out the OP attitude. He accepted it and moved on. Good for them. Staying humble is a great idea. I try to do that every day.

But even if you train in other then a crossfit gym, you should be able to use what ever equipment till you are done. You wouldn't try to take a bar from somone who is, say benching in set and is just sitting there resting. He is still doing his workout even though he isn't doing the exercize.

Asking if you are done then taking equipment is how it should be adressed, not just taking equipment. I understand if someone doesent know someone is using the equipment and takes it by mistake.

I dont see it as an inconveniencing anyone if he or anyone has a right to be ther to use the equipment.
If all the benches are taken by ''globoers'' and another ''globoer'' need to bench he has to wait.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:20 AM   #26
Paul Shortt

Profile:

The issue comes when a CFer needs several bits of equipment repeatedly and ends up reserving a fair chunk of the equipment in a gym, and not actually using it all, all the time. The up side of body building style training is that usually you'd use one thing at a time, saving supersets, where it's be too. Some CF workouts can mean you need 5 or 6 hinges at once.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:41 AM   #27
Steve Gillanders

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Green View Post
Agreed

Bottom line is everyone needs to stay humble. As much as you think you know about training/working you, you really don't. I've been doing this going on 10 year and learn something new every day, and am fortunate to work/train with people who know WAY more than I do. Crossfit isn't the only methodology out there - every training program has a reason for doing what they do.

And as for knocking on scholarship athletes, give me a break. Give them some respect. Your average football recruit at a d1 school was power cleaning 315 for reps long before you even could name the olympic lifts. Just stay humble, do your thing, but don't be too quick to judge other athletes.
This is the only one of you who suggests that there are other legitimate ways to perform exercise besides the CrossFit style. It's a big world out there people. CrossFit isn't the center of the universe. However, more often than not it seems that CrossFitters think it is. What's the deal with the arrogance and narrow-mindedness among CrossFitters?

Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 AM   #28
Thomas Green

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gillanders View Post
This is the only one of you who suggests that there are other legitimate ways to perform exercise besides the CrossFit style. It's a big world out there people. CrossFit isn't the center of the universe. However, more often than not it seems that CrossFitters think it is. What's the deal with the arrogance and narrow-mindedness among CrossFitters?
Maybe a lot of CFers are like that, but it doesn't really seem that way on this board. Just the OP and a couple supporters, but most responders had the right idea and even the OP admitted he was wrong. So good for him. Far harder to admit you were wrong than to be right.

When you train around D1 athletes, your bound to be humbled anyway eventually. One of the funniest moments ever in college, 2 kids (that followed the mainsite WODS), were pulling heavy deads with bad form. Not only that, they were using an entire block of chalk for each lift, spilling it all over the gym and not putting the plates back when they were done. And when they were asked to take it easy with the chalk, they gave them the usual CF rant about how its such bs that globo-gyms don't allow chalk (might I add, the people on staff are all really chill and don't care if you use chalk as long as you don't spill it on every single plate/barbell w/o cleaning it up - these 2 kids were just being asked not to use so much).

Anyway, they proceed to work on their hang power cleans, doing "heavy" singles at 95-115-135 (something along those lines). Then a girl from the track team walks in in their offseason, weighing all of 120lbs maybe, and proceeds to do reps with 135 on the rack next to them. Made me LOL. So yeah - don't let this happen to you haha.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #29
Paul Shortt

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Gillanders View Post
This post makes no sense.. This whole thread is about people challenging the Cf arrogance and giving credit to other ways of training! Out of all of the replies I think only two are in defence of the OP.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #30
Jason Ashman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Sterny View Post
Is it just me or are all other athletes than Crossfitters simpletons?

You require: More education and knowledge, less kool-aid.

Closed Thread