CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
Shane Jensen

Profile:
Re: Don't Understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
This kid does not need any help with his workout, he needs to fix his outlook on life and others. The world does not revolve around him and his CF workout that takes up half the equipment in the gym. "Scholarship athletes" sacrifice A LOT to participate in their sport and should get priority in the gym. If he has a problem with that figure out a time when they are not there.
Well said.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #12
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
So what that the kid is young and in college? That grants him permission to be a pompous, arrogant, self centered little puke? This kid does not need any help with his workout, he needs to fix his outlook on life and others. The world does not revolve around him and his CF workout that takes up half the equipment in the gym. "Scholarship athletes" sacrifice A LOT to participate in their sport and should get priority in the gym. If he has a problem with that figure out a time when they are not there, we don't need a message board discussion for people to figure this out.
Forest for the trees, Robert. And an appalling lack of generosity of spirit on both your and Shane's parts. You are not nearly as far removed from your college years as am I, and yet you can't muster just a little more empathy than that? Seriously? Or is it just the residual arrogance of the scholarship athlete, one with the "non-revenue sport" chip on the shoulder to boot?

Come on...the kid made an attempt to go to the weight room at an off-hour and got smashed by a team workout. Plus, they were doing exercises that Crossfitters would find less than optimal (you are especially aware of this as a CTD for CFSB). How about a little gentle guidance, a little explanation of the special circumstances/sacrifices of the scholarship athlete, especially in a "non-revenue" sport like wrestling?

Priority in the gym? Sacrifices? Spare me. I played a "revenue" sport in a non-scholarship venue and we found a way to share the tiny, dingy, woefully inadequate training facilities with non-team athletes as well as other sport participants. Sorry...the kid has as much right to those facilities as all other students. Taking up half the equipment? Seriously?

Jake, CF is good. Very good. But like any other program it and you must find a way to co-exist in whatever space is available.

Really Robert?

--bingo

Old 09-19-2010, 06:42 PM   #13
Ned Ferguson

Profile:

With the popularity and ubiquity of CF today, I'm guessing most college campuses have quite a few CF adherents. I would find out who they are, what they are doing, and get in on it. Why go it alone?

Old 09-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #14
Shane Skowron

Profile:

I don't think I've ever called someone a simpleton, and I honestly don't see how because someone mistakenly (or even intentionally) moved some equipment out of his way that it means that a well-trained college athlete is stupid.

Yes, I was in college not too long ago, but when I saw the college athletes training, I made sure to give them respect and heck I even hung around for awhile after my workout to see if I could learn anything from them. And I believe I learned quite a bit from them. My school never had a wrestling team though, and I regret that because wrestlers are among the most athletic people in all of sports, and I would have loved to see how they train.

I've done CF WODs in globo gyms before (globo'd for months in Egypt) and rather than insulting people behind their back because they were disrupting my workout, I tried to compromise. I either asked politely before my workout if I could use a certain piece of equipment for a few minutes, or I adapted my workout so that I wouldn't possibly get in anyone's way.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:18 AM   #15
Pearse Shields

Profile:

No, not everyone else is a simpleton. Some people have just never had a good weight lifting or strength training coach. That's not being a simpleton, that's just not being educated on a certain subject.
Rather than scoff at someone, ask if you can give them a tip on their technique. If they say not, then move along. Not your problem if they don't want help. Say something like "Can I offer you some advice to help you get a stronger squat?" Explain that it's to do with powerlifting technique, and I'm sure they'll eat it up.
Just my 2 cents

Old 09-20-2010, 05:20 AM   #16
Robert D Taylor Jr

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell E. White View Post
Forest for the trees, Robert. And an appalling lack of generosity of spirit on both your and Shane's parts. You are not nearly as far removed from your college years as am I, and yet you can't muster just a little more empathy than that? Seriously? Or is it just the residual arrogance of the scholarship athlete, one with the "non-revenue sport" chip on the shoulder to boot?

Come on...the kid made an attempt to go to the weight room at an off-hour and got smashed by a team workout. Plus, they were doing exercises that Crossfitters would find less than optimal (you are especially aware of this as a CTD for CFSB). How about a little gentle guidance, a little explanation of the special circumstances/sacrifices of the scholarship athlete, especially in a "non-revenue" sport like wrestling?

Priority in the gym? Sacrifices? Spare me. I played a "revenue" sport in a non-scholarship venue and we found a way to share the tiny, dingy, woefully inadequate training facilities with non-team athletes as well as other sport participants. Sorry...the kid has as much right to those facilities as all other students. Taking up half the equipment? Seriously?

Jake, CF is good. Very good. But like any other program it and you must find a way to co-exist in whatever space is available.

Really Robert?

--bingo
Doc,

It's the simpletons thing. Many of us have used and continue to use "Globo-Gyms" I have never had to deal with scholarship athletes, but I have dealt with Command PT at all the Military Gyms that I use. THEY have as much right to be there as I do, they have differing ideas about working out than I do, but they're not stupid. The idea that they are stupid for not CFing is a reason that CF is considered cultish. The fact is Shane was right, it was just the OP. If his worldview is that everyone else is dumber than him because they're not doing what he does then he's the problem.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:29 AM   #17
Lisa Jeansonne Johnston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Sterny View Post
George you are correct it was my mistake to state that all athletes other than crossfitters are simpletons. Crossfit is a good system but not the only one. I let my frustrations of being so picky for technique get the better of me. I should be helping instead of doing the opposite.Thank you for your advice sir.

Hey guys, he admitted his mistake, and has apologized for it. Lesson learned.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #18
Jonathan Yoon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Skowron View Post
Yes, I was in college not too long ago, but when I saw the college athletes training, I made sure to give them respect and heck I even hung around for awhile after my workout to see if I could learn anything from them. And I believe I learned quite a bit from them. My school never had a wrestling team though, and I regret that because wrestlers are among the most athletic people in all of sports, and I would have loved to see how they train.
I remember mine. They were beasts. Tons of heavy lifting, odd-object work (specifically work with the life-size sandbag dummy) and strength-endurance work along with some solid cardio (mostly running, some rope work on occasion). Even the guys that were featherweights looked like they could tear your face off if given the chance on the mat.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #19
Morgan McGaha

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Yoon View Post
I remember mine. They were beasts. Tons of heavy lifting, odd-object work (specifically work with the life-size sandbag dummy) and strength-endurance work along with some solid cardio (mostly running, some rope work on occasion). Even the guys that were featherweights looked like they could tear your face off if given the chance on the mat.
I read that wrong and thought you said "...some rape work...".

Old 09-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #20
Wayne Riddle

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Sterny View Post
I let my frustrations of being so picky for technique get the better of me. I should be helping instead of doing the opposite.Thank you for your advice sir.
I get picky over the technique I see many CF'ers do when going for time in lifts.

Closed Thread