CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 09-05-2010, 05:05 AM   #1
Keith Martin

Profile:
Friends of Crossfitters

Hi all,

I have friends who know I crossfit and personal train. Some of my friends respect the title of personal trainer and treats me as such. If they want me to train them, they will pay.

However, I have a couple of friends who because we are friends seem to want me to show them this and that. Although I'm not above giving friendly advice, how far should I go?

One person wants me to give them some kettlebel workouts and another said she wanted me to train her until she saw what I charge now she wants to go "head to head" in training styles because she trains "like crossfit" and wanna see what's the best.

I'm trying to be helpful and tactful but at the same time I want to get across what I do is provide a service and I've realized if you don't put a price on what you do, others won't appreciate it...strange how that works.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #2
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Re: Friends of Crossfitters

Pretty much the same everywhere, Keith. The least grateful of all of my patients always seem to be the ones I do a service for without charge, no matter how big or small the service, no matter how wonderful their outcome.

Stick to your guns; if this is how you make your living charge everyone except close family and closest friends.

--bingo
Old 09-05-2010, 07:18 AM   #3
Kevin Shaughnessy

Profile:

If I had a friend who was a personal trainer that wouldn't even give me advice or workouts during friendly conversations I would think he was pretty stingy. I would not however, expect him to actually train me for free.
Old 09-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Jon Cowie

Profile:

Suggest a skills swap; you teach them something, then they spend an aproximately equivalent time doing/teaching you something - cooking, music, art, welding, car mechanics - whatever they're good at and you ain't. You'll get something out of it, and they'll better appreciate the time you spend with them (as they'll have to put in similar effort)
Old 09-05-2010, 11:31 AM   #5
James Rios

Profile:

jon's go got a good idea.

i personally only have 2 friends who were even willing to try crossfit. they love it now. i taught them the movements and now they text me for WODs. but these are like my closest friends, more or less brothers at this point. ive told them before if they really want to see results they should come visit my affiliate. where i can watch their form and let them go heavier with good equipment.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #6
Keith Martin

Profile:

Darrell: It's not how I make a living yet but that's what I'm transitioning to but I believe I should stick to my guns...I just know where I should draw them.

Kevin: True. If you had someone you consider a friend, advice here and there could be the benefit of the friendship but I would hate if my friends would take advantage of the situation...which is what I am trying to prevent, both for them and me. Those who take advantage of me don't end up being good friends.

Jon: Very good idea. There are loads of things I can't do well. Very good point. I'm surprised I didnt think about that.

James: It's kewl that you got them in. I know one guy that introduced Crossfit to and he actually became my training partner at one point. If I were to ask to train him for a fee, he would decline but I wouldn't ask him because of our past. My fear though if I just show someone something once or twice that they would get injured which is why I'd feel better if I were training them. However, friends are friends. It's almost like going to your buddy's house empty handded and having a couple beers .
Old 09-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Vince Mannella

Profile:

I'm not a personal trainer but I will take any of my friends for a workout if they are into it.
Charging your friends to workout with you or give them advice is not cool.
Old 09-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #8
Pearse Shields

Profile:

In my experience, friends take your nice, free advice, all your tips and knowledge, and then a week after you stop training them, they stop. It's not worth my time to train friends for free, when clients could be paying me. Sad, but true. Unfortunately, free advice, no matter how good it is, is never taken into consideration for long.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #9
David Fletcher

Profile:

I used to do computer graphics work and I would constantly have people asking me to make them websites, logos, fix their internet, etc. Almost always they had no idea what I actually did or how much time it took.

My usual response was, "I'm pretty busy, but if you want to call me later maybe we can work something out." Probably 95% of the time they would never call. Just give them a small hurdle to jump over initially and most never will. The people that do will be serious about it and you can then discuss options, prices, and all that stuff.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
Austin Engle

Profile:

I'm not a trainer, but I aspire to one day be one. My inexperienced advice would be to give them advice on nutrition, and let them know the most important things, like stressing the importance of correct form in any exercise they do, breathing techniques, the importance of mobility and stretching, etc.

But if they ask to workout with you, or get advice on what kind of exercise plan they should be on, let them know that they can make an appointment for a free consultation and workout, but make them aware that they will be considered equal to other people you train, and not receive any special discounts or treatments because they are your friend. The idea is to tell make sure they are aware that fitness is your profession, and while they are your friends, you cannot make a living on free workouts. True friends will see where you're coming from; anyone else shouldn't be your friend.