CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #21
Matthew Vesey

Profile:
Re: What bar should I look to get next?

I suppose I should have mentioned this earlier... I live in Canada so was unsure how much shipping/duty will end up running me.
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #22
Fern Webb

Profile:

You can buy any of the discussed bars from a Canadian vendor.

WFS links

roguecanada.ca for rogue stuff
fitnesstown.ca carries Pendlay (not on the website but you can phone the warehouse and talk to Geoff)
http://www.primalathletes.com/ (aka Crossfit Toronto) carries York bars

etc.
AFAIK none of the American made (or Canadian made York) bars should incur duty - NAFTA, just regular HST/PST/GST etc. and shipping.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:45 PM   #23
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern Webb View Post
You can buy any of the discussed bars from a Canadian vendor.

WFS links

roguecanada.ca for rogue stuff
fitnesstown.ca carries Pendlay (not on the website but you can phone the warehouse and talk to Geoff)
http://www.primalathletes.com/ (aka Crossfit Toronto) carries York bars

etc.
AFAIK none of the American made (or Canadian made York) bars should incur duty - NAFTA, just regular HST/PST/GST etc. and shipping.
Thanks for that. I am having trouble finding any bearing bars on any Canadian sites. The reason I was steering towards Pendlay Bearing Bar was that I was going to sell my 140kg set of bumpers that I have and then with the money from that + the amount I just got for selling my platform I was going to buy the combo pack of Pendlay Bearing Bar/Bumpers in KG. However, I am not sure what that will run me when you add in shipping from the U.S plus all the taxes and what not
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 PM   #24
William Henniger

Profile:

Timothy:

1) The Operator Bar is the same caliber bar as the Rogue, different zinc plating

2) The Bella Bar is made with the same steel as the Rogue just 25MM Bar
Old 08-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #25
Timothy Gilday

Profile:

Thanks, Bill. Sounds like what I need.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:23 AM   #26
Scott Ichiiwa

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
I built the original Rogue Bar with Glenn so as you can tell we have nothing to say but good stuff about each other.

To poke at him a bit, we have made some serious improvements to the Rogue Bar over the past year to include: Finer start/stop knurl marks, changed zinc plater so the finish is spot on, changed to a more durable sleeve design. That being said the steel in the Rogue and HD bar are identical so the only difference is the fit and finish. The HD bar has a unique one piece sleeve, meaning the sleeve is machined from a solid piece of steel.

To have a good analogy, at this point you are choosing between a Black truck and a Silver truck. The bright zinc used on the HD bar is the silver you see and the black zinc on the Rogue bar is what makes it black. All zinc plating processes go through the Bright zinc then if you choose get dipped in black. It is more expensive to have them black zinc'd than bright zinc alone.

The polished steel used in both bars have the same strength capacities so that will not be an issue.

When Glenn told me how he designed his bars he said that he watched athletes migrate towards certain bars. Then he would figure out why they chose one bar over the other whether it was the knurl, whip, spin etc. You will find that his intuition is always that simple and spot on, much like his progressions for Olifting.

We make an outstanding weightlifting bar and so does Pendlay, you cannot go wrong with either. We both have a commitment to making bars in the United States so there is always continuous improvement on the materials, design and processes.

I choose the Black Truck every time!

Bill
Bill , can you expand on the sleeve design of the hd and rogue bar?
and if they are basically the same bar why does one cost more? even though the rogue bar goes through the more expensive black coating?
thanks
Old 01-31-2011, 09:29 AM   #27
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Pendlay View Post
Actually, our NexGen HD bar is $349. Its lifetime guaranteed. I have seen it stand up to 700lb squats, 700lb deadlifts, and 450lb clean and jerks. I have no doubt that although I have not seen it with my own eyes, it is perfectly good to stand up to 800-900lb squats and deadlifts, and 550lb clean and jerks.

I do OL technique and coaching seminars fairly often, and if the gym I am going to does not have a NexGen bar, I bring one, so that we do not bend their bars when my lifters demo 400lb + clean and jerks, among other things. And also because the guys I coach treat their demo workouts as real training sessions, and need a bar with good knurling and dependable spin.

This practice of bringing my own bars when I demo at various gyms developed from bad experiences when I did not do so.

That having been said, there are a couple of people selling quality products. Bill at Rogue is certainly one of them. But you get what you pay for. A $150 bar is aimed at a certain type of consumer. A $250 bar is aimed at another, and a $350 bar is aimed at another. Don't fool yourself into doubting that you get what you pay for.

If you want a top of the line bar, I do not think that there is any better bar in the world than the Pendlay NB bar... but its $550, and the advantages it has over some cheaper bars might not be apparant to those who arent pretty good lifters. It certainly isnt for everyone, and I wouldnt recommend it to everyone

Though I hold Bill and Rogue both as a person and as a company in high esteem, and believe that the Rogue bar is a good bar and maybe the right bar for a lot of people, I wouldn't hesitate to say that the NexGen HD is a better bar than the Rogue bar. It is also $100 more expensive.

It is not so much a question of which bar is better as it is a question of which bar fits your needs/budget better, and which bar is a better value for you. Depending on the intended use, your strength level, etc, it could be a bar from play it again sports, the Rogue bar, the NexGen HD, or the NexGen NB bar. Personally I think the majority of people would get the most value for their money with either the Rogue or the NexGen HD. Smaller segments of the market at either extreme would be happy with a cheapo bar, or only happy with the NexGen NB bar.

Buying a bar is much like buying a new car or a new suit. If you spend too little, your friends will make fun of you and the ladies will stay away. If you spend too much some people think its cool and stylish, others will make fun of you for trying too hard to impress. For the most part, as you pay more, you get a better product, then at the extreme high end, you start to pay extra for a certain brand with no real increase in quality.

So, evaluate your needs, your wants, and your budget. Then spend appropriately. Would be nice if its one of my bars that you choose... but if its not, at least go for another quality product, like Rogue. Dont buy a $100 or $150 bar. If you cant afford a bar in the $250-$350 range, get one for $50 wherever you can, and save for a good one.
Some good advice from the man himself.