CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:03 AM   #1
Brian Strump

Profile:
Trainer contracts

Does any affiliate use contracts with their employees/trainers?
I'm looking for something that may list their responsibilities, the expectations of the owner, non-compete agreement, etc.

Thanks for the help,
Brian
Old 01-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #2
Marcus Thompson

Profile:
Re: Trainer contracts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Strump View Post
Does any affiliate use contracts with their employees/trainers?
I'm looking for something that may list their responsibilities, the expectations of the owner, non-compete agreement, etc.

Thanks for the help,
Brian
I would document a detailed job description with the phrase with additional resposibilities deemed necessary to ensure smooth operation of the facility at the end and have them sign it. The last part is a "catch all" meaning "if I want you to do it, it's now in your job description". As you probably already know, NC is a right-to-work state. This means that you can fire them for any reason without prior notice.

I'm not sure how a non-compete agreement will help you. Most CF training is common knowlege and I'm not sure exactly how much intellectual property you'll have to protect. Also, a fitness trainer is certified in the profession. You can't bar someone from working in their field of expertise. The best you could hope for is to prevent them from working or doing business within a certain mile radious of your box.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:43 AM   #3
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Trainer contracts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Thompson View Post
I would document a detailed job description with the phrase with additional resposibilities deemed necessary to ensure smooth operation of the facility at the end and have them sign it. The last part is a "catch all" meaning "if I want you to do it, it's now in your job description". As you probably already know, NC is a right-to-work state. This means that you can fire them for any reason without prior notice.

I'm not sure how a non-compete agreement will help you. Most CF training is common knowlege and I'm not sure exactly how much intellectual property you'll have to protect. Also, a fitness trainer is certified in the profession. You can't bar someone from working in their field of expertise. The best you could hope for is to prevent them from working or doing business within a certain mile radious of your box.
Thanks for the info. The non-compete is very hard to enforce, but more or less a CYA for a trainer moving across the street. Chances of needing it are slim, chances of being able to enforce even slimmer. But at least having it in there with a specific mile radius at least will give a spurned trainer something to think twice about.