CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #1
William Henniger

Profile:
Insurance Issue

The rep from Sports and Fitness insurance stopped me at the affiliate gathering to tell me the following:

"Why do affiliates put home made on their insurance application when referencing origin of their equipment?"

I told him how things are done but I thought it might be something you should leave off due to the fact that they have to turn down those folks using that term.

We use K&K and will certainly use the new insurance on its way but I just wanted to pass this along.

Bill
Old 02-09-2009, 06:11 PM   #2
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: Insurance Issue

Omitting that sort of stuff sounds just as dangerous as writing it down. If the company doesn't allow homemade equipment, then wouldn't knowingly omitting the fact that you use homemade equipment be some sort of fraud?
Old 02-09-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Greg Major

Profile:

I use Fitness and Wellness Insurance. When I submitted a request to add CrossFit Inc. as an additional insured they asked what type of training we plan on doing. They said they were starting to get a lot of requests from CrossFit affiliates. The main thing they were concerned about was any type of MMA or combat training. They wouldn't cover that. There was never anything in my application or policy that mentions homemade equipment.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
Joanna Sapir

Profile:

I'm just in the process of opening an affiliate and went with Sports and Fitness. Their app asks about "homemade or modified equipment" and when I marked yes, I was simply asked to send pictures. I sent them picture of parallettes. No problems.

Since I wasn't at the affiliate gathering though, and I've seen mention several times now of the insurance guys there, can anyone fill me in? I haven't paid yet for Sports and Fitness, since I'm not open yet. What's up with this new insurance?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
William Henniger

Profile:

Patrick,

I just wouldn't use the term "home made". I may say that I had it fabricated by a certified welder etc.

Bill
Old 02-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
Lisbeth Darsh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna Sapir View Post
I'm just in the process of opening an affiliate and went with Sports and Fitness. Their app asks about "homemade or modified equipment" and when I marked yes, I was simply asked to send pictures. I sent them picture of parallettes. No problems.

Since I wasn't at the affiliate gathering though, and I've seen mention several times now of the insurance guys there, can anyone fill me in? I haven't paid yet for Sports and Fitness, since I'm not open yet. What's up with this new insurance?
CFHQ is in the process of forming a risk retention group (hence the insurance guys at FilFest) in order to protect participating affiliates. This is an ongoing process, however, and will not happen overnight, so you are best advised to continue with other insurance coverage in the meantime.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

Maybe this will make more affiliates and potential affiliates think twice before using "homemade" equipment in a commercial facility. I understand how CrossFit preaches the D.I.Y. aspect, but you have to remember you're running a business and always CYA. Sure, we made our own plyo boxes (using a licensed general contractor), but that was about it. It's the cost of doing business and if your not prepared or able to spend the $ outlay, than you may want to reconsider doing it as a commercial venture. Just some thoughts.

Bill, you and your equipment are different story of sorts. You have an equipment fabrication business. The standard for quality is higher than some hack in his garage.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Henniger View Post
Patrick,

I just wouldn't use the term "home made". I may say that I had it fabricated by a certified welder etc.

Bill
Well, what if it wasn't? For example, if you were to use plywood gymnastics rings of your own creation (a really beautiful and sturdy piece of equipment, if made right), and the triglide slip buckle were to break while someone was doing muscle-ups, causing him to dislocate his shoulder, what would you do? I think that's the kind of stuff the insurance companies are worried about, since that's what greatly increases their risk in covering you.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
William Henniger

Profile:

Randy,

I do however completely understand the needs of someone just starting their business on a low budget. I started my gym in the garage with pipe and flanges just like everyone else.

When I opened my facility I had my fabricator build the pullup rig and I had it inspected by a civil engineer.

I keep hearing of pullup rigs breaking during use and they are always pipe and flange setups. So the risk is real not perceived. The variance at which they are built is too large.

We have a PDF print on our site and I have posted it here of a pullup rig we build. Anyone can take it to a local fabricator to have it reverse engineered, it is very simple.

It is fun being a hack in the garage, many of us have been there. I just wouldn't bring those items to the public.

Bill