CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:37 PM   #11
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:
Re: For all ISSA trainers or those looking for PT cert

Leo,

You'll love this one; you might have seen it before on the P-Menu boards though. Safe for work, family, and all that jazz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJKuIMOB6i8

Take care,
Patrick
Old 01-18-2009, 05:44 AM   #12
Sara Fleming

Profile:

BTW Leo,

If you said, "Use Crossfit Warmup" in your case study, without explaining why you were using it, then you wouldn't know WHY it was benefitting your client. Of course you would fail.

I turned in 60 pgs of case studies and essays. One case study was 16 pages and I used olympic lifts, my own metcons, and warmups, etc. specifically designed for my client, not using anything off of Crossfit. I've been doing metcons and Barbell training for five years prior to finding Crossfit, its not a new concept. Olympic lifts and the specific sport were the new part for me. It was a sport and age specific case study and needed sport and age specific warmups, workouts, and therapy. I referenced and explained all my ideology, my weight-lifting coach, etc.

By the way, I got a 94% on my exam. Not the minimum 75%. That's an A.

Like I said before, I know some people do the minimum and get by. That's disappointing. I have a master's in biochemistry and trust me, there are people with master's degree's and even Ph.D.'s who really shouldn't have them. But, that's how it is. Should we blame the degree? Or the drive?

Personally, I have seen many of the theories in the text book being discussed often and in great detail by many of the big dogs on this board and I, for one, am glad that I know what they are talking about. And, except for the low fat prescription, which has more to do with accretidation/dietetic laws, the performance nurtitrition regarding BMR,ZIGzag is right on. And, have you ever tried PNF techniques on your clients? I do, and its really good to restore range of motion if they are having a hard time correcting form during a lift.

Okay, I'm done. I want to make nice. I was pretty mad at you yesterday.

The truth is a lot young people come here and get very excited about Crossfit, but need to get some training experience before they can go open a box and the best way to do that sometimes is to go train at a gym. They can't do that without a training cert. So, let's not discourage them right off the bat.

Okay, I'm done, friends?

Sara

Last edited by Sara Fleming; 01-18-2009 at 06:11 AM..
Old 01-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #13
Caleb Johnson

Profile:

Sara,
out of curiosity, how many CEUs does ISSA consider a CrossFit cert to be worth? My ISSA certification is about to expire and I was going to let it lapse since I don't need it now, but if my level 1 cert will count for all 20 CEUs I might keep the ISSA certification too. It's generally useless but it was a pain to write all those essays...
Old 01-18-2009, 11:19 AM   #14
Sara Fleming

Profile:

I think CF level one is worth 8 CEUs and the specialty certs are worth 5. If there was a written test, they would be worth more. I forget what the actual breakdown is, but it has to do with both the hours of instruction and then more are awarded for whether or not there is an exam and then there's something else, but its escaping me . . . sorry.

I do know that if you take another accredited cert like NASM that is NCCA accredited (which only required that you take the test and not enroll in the course, ie not educate yourself, although apparently this is not everyone's goal with PT certs and certianly not enforceable), its worth 10 CEUs. So, if you enroll in another course outside of ISSA and pass an exam (ie, college), then THAT may be worth an extra 20 CEUs, but not a weekend instructional cert with no exam. Don't take my word for it, if you still have your membership, I would go on the board and ask Patrick.

Last edited by Sara Fleming; 01-18-2009 at 11:26 AM..
Old 01-19-2009, 09:23 AM   #15
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Donnelly View Post
Leo,

You'll love this one; you might have seen it before on the P-Menu boards though. Safe for work, family, and all that jazz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJKuIMOB6i8

Take care,
Patrick
This is one of the comments on that video, I wonder how many folks hold this same opinion of crossfit? Also, what does he meaning training varients with bad form? As far I know crossfit teaches the correct mechanics of olympic lifts.

"oh no buddy, were not claimin to be experts at strength, theres olympic weightlifting, then theres all of the other senseless stuff like bodybuilding, powerlifting, crossfit, plyos, etc... as olympic lifters, student-wise or coaching wise, his form is simply a no-no, although incredibly strong which is not surprising considering his NCAA D1 football background, but still, olympic weightlifters are sick of crossfit and football athletes disrespecting our lifts and training variants with bad form "
Old 01-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #16
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Jeffrey,

This is just the internet. It's pretty much a world-wide thing, and you can be sure that somewhere in our planet's 6.5 billion people, one of them isn't going to like CrossFit. Don't sweat it. Also, let me assure you that choosing to read YouTube comments is never a good decision or a productive use of time.

That one commenter may have been referring to things such as this (WFS), which, really, is not all that different from the UMD football player's display, now that I think about it.

Take care,
Patrick

Last edited by Patrick Donnelly; 01-19-2009 at 11:36 AM..