CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-07-2006, 02:47 PM   #1
Ryan Galdes

Profile:
I got back from SFAS 3 weeks ago, and have been taking it pretty easy. I started to slowly get back into doing the WODs, and running last week and I still feel really tired.

My WOD times and running pace is way off what it was prior to Selection, and I get really sore after easy workouts. I haven't been trying to max out on the workouts, but I think by now I should be getting back into it.

I just want some feed back from other guys who have gone through selection (or something similar) about how long it took them to get back up to speed.

It is very likely that I just impatient, and should still be taking it easy.

Thanks for any feedback

-RG
Old 12-07-2006, 04:58 PM   #2
John Velandra

Profile:
Give it time... and proper rest & nutrition. It'll come back shortly. DON'T rush it, you'll only frustrate yourself and prolong the recovery period!

(Message edited by dif01 on December 07, 2006)
Old 12-07-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
I decided to be hard and do the level 2 combatives course 3 days after finishing SFAS. I was holding my own physically until the second week, when I cracked a rib rolling. This may not have been recovery related (I had previously managed to break a rib doing level 1), but I'm sure my lack of rest didn't help.
After SUT and SERE I took 4 days of complete rest, then 3 days of just the CFWU, then another rest day and jumped back into the WOD. I waited a couple weeks before going balls out. This worked pretty well for me. Just my experiences though. Obviously you need to listen to your body and figure out whats best for you. Good luck.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:57 AM   #4
Jonathan Michael Horacek

Profile:
It looks like you're coming from the regular Army, so my experience was a little different. I went straight to SOPCII/SFPC for another 3 weeks after Selection, so by the time I was done with that, I was very much worn down and out of shape. However, once I inprocessed into Student Company, there was plenty of down-time--I was working out twice a day and getting plenty of rest so it came back quickly. But like Chris was saying, it's going to be far worse after SUT and SERE. I came out of those courses 30 lbs lighter, but totally out of shape. All I could do physically at that point was carry a ton of weight on my back.

Anyway, those are my experiences. Like you were saying, you're just being a little impatient, it takes time.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:34 AM   #5
Ryan Galdes

Profile:
Thanks

Thats what I needed to hear. I will continue to slowly get back into it and no worry about pushing it.

So looking back what do you wish you did to better prepair for phase II and the rest of the Q?
Old 12-08-2006, 09:27 AM   #6
Jonathan Michael Horacek

Profile:
I don't really have an answer for you...I felt like each step prepared me for the next. If it's for you and you really want to be there, then you shouldn't have a problem...

...Or you could go a few days without eating and sleeping, then put a 100+lb ruck on your back and practice getting up and down from the prone and running a few hundred meters as fast as you can over and over and over...That might help for Phase II, haha
Old 12-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
Ryan Galdes

Profile:
Thanks

I was thinking more along the lines of language and mos prep. I have a cat. IV lanuage and Delta for MOS.

But Thanks
Old 12-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #8
John Velandra

Profile:
It will also depend alot on your mos background. patrolling, patrolling, patrolling..... and THEN your new-found skills.