CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 01-08-2007, 08:48 PM   #1
Sean Manseau

Profile:
i got my power rings a couple weeks ago and have been assiduously working on the MU progression--squatted, seated, jumping, etc. now the inside of my right elbow (right above the bone) is quite sore to the touch (and kind of aches in general).

since the summer i've been working on some homemade "rings", steel pipes suspended on chains, so i'm quite conditioned to deep dips, and etc. i'm guessing the pain might have something to do with learning the false grip. anyone else ever have the same trouble? what did you do?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
Craig Howard

Profile:
Funny (or, not so). I came to the MB tonight to seek advice on the exact same pain! It is starting to nag me in pull ups and Oly lifts. Forget about a muscle up for me - false grip hurts too bad during and after. I'm sore to the touch in the same spot!

Considering a visit to the doc. Any quick fixes?

Old 01-09-2007, 02:29 AM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
MU used to hurt on the elbows when I failed in a rep or chicken winged them.

As for false grip, it's uncomfortable.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:14 AM   #4
Tom Whalen

Profile:
Search the board for "medial epicondylitis" and/or "golfer's elbow". Consider stopping your MU attempts until you're pain-free and start back into them very gradually.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:41 AM   #5
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
You might try working your finger extensors and doing some reverse wrist curls to balance the forearm muscles with all that false grip work.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
Yael Grauer

Profile:
Stretch out your biceps and brachiaradialis and anything else that's tight after you work out...and throughout the day.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:17 PM   #7
Craig Howard

Profile:
Tom - Thanks! My search yielded this very informative page:

http://www.handuniversity.com/topics.asp?Topic_ID=4

Cheers.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:07 AM   #8
Joe Celso

Profile:
whatever you do - take it seriously!!! i've been dealing with the same problem since AUGUST! i did not respect the injury and now it is SO far gone. i don't think i've EVER been so discouraged in my entire life (and i've had some great injuries).

so, now that i'm done whining, TAKE IT SERIOUSLY AND LET IT HEAL BEFORE YOU PLAY AGAIN! don't do ANYTHING that aggrivates it!

i've done self massaging, ridiculous amounts of stretching, ate a whole 250 caplet bottle of ibuprofen and recently started going to ART (Active Release Techniques) and to PT. ART seems to really be helping. i can tell you that NONE of the above means $#!+ without rest.

i'm about done with ART, but i can feel i've got at least another 4-6 weeks of doing nothing but typing, air squats and running. then i'll get to start squeezing a foam ball.
Old 01-12-2007, 04:29 PM   #9
Justin Algera

Profile:
Im in the same boat as Joe...Almost same exact problem. Started around the beginning of Sept, and still giving me fits. Its getting better, but I got so down and discouraged that I didnt do much for 2 months, and now Im climbing back up the mountain again. I think I will be done with pull-ups for a while, but I have started doing more jumping pull-ups which I have discovered really kick my butt.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:18 AM   #10
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
Sean,

part of your pain is nearly inevitable (in the sense that few people learning the muscle-up seem to be able to avoid it) - the muscle-up *is* very hard on the elbow joint. So some pain is to be expected.

On the other hand, too much is too much. When I trained for the muscle-up in 2005 spring and summer, my elbows would literally hurt for about half an hour of constant pain after some failed attempts. Something like this just indicates you are not yet there and need to do more preparation work.

If in acute pain, massage and stretch your forearms, massage and stretch your biceps, massage and stretch your shoulders (flexible shoulders make the muscle-up much easier!), and give yourself more time!

For most people it seems to take some months of dedicated training to get the first muscle-up.

Don't rush it, and be careful with anything like jumping into the transition position - this can go wrong badly.

As for preparation exercises, I feel that false grip pullups give the most bang for the buck. The false grip really needs to be practiced.

Also, make sure that:

- your grip is secure - in the beginning anything that causes slipping (due to loose grip tape, no chalk, tired hands, etc.) will ruin the false grip
- your rings are not spaced to wide (50cm is the official width) - wider rings make it much harder
- you have flexible shoulders (broomstick stretch!)

Good luck,

Christian