CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 02-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
Jerry Berg

Profile:

do any of the runners out there have recomendations for racing flats? my distances never exceed the occasional 10k and I have a very neutral gate and want to ditch my heavy, cushioned shoes.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
Lewis Dunn

Profile:
I have no specific recommendations for actual shoes, but I would advise you not to use lightweight flats unless you are actually racing, and stick to the heavy cushioned shoes for training. I once ran lots of 10K races and often used flats on many of them. Very light and definitely shaved some seconds off of my time. But I think my knees and hips suffered a bit every time I used them. If you run mostly for training, I'd take care of your joints with good supportive shoes and just treat the extra weight as added resistance. If you do buy flats, just pull them out now and then when you really want to PR at some distance. The rest of the time, make joint health a high priority, and know that you are getting more work done on that 10K run by carrying a few more ounces of cushioning along.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:47 PM   #3
Jason Steele

Profile:
Dependent upon your running style, you can use flats all the time. Calling Eugene!
Old 02-24-2007, 11:10 PM   #4
Matthew Scoble

Profile:
I run in the Asics Hyper Paw & really, really like them (w/f safe): http://www.zappos.com/n/p/dp/6989702.html. If you use the Pose technique, I think they are a really great shoe. Very light, very thin sole, but with just enough padding to protect your feet from sharp stones, etc.

Cheers,
Matt
Old 02-25-2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
I like the Nike Waffle Racer IIIs (they may be up to IV by now). They're a cross country semi-spike that work well on paved surfaces as well as grass or trails. They only run about $35.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #6
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Started an answer last night having been called out by Jason but a call out by dispatch took priority and I had to go deal with a drunk driver. If you are a very efficient runner and you can put in lots of mileage with no injuries, sure, flats are great. But a good training shoe will go a long way toward protecting your joints from all the impact running sends your way.

As much as possible try to run in the Pose style with a footfall under your body rather than out in front of you where you are forced to land on your heel. Paw back at the ground with a midfoot landing and kick your feet up high behind you so you swing less of your leg forward with each stride. No loft in your stride, make all your energy go forward...up is a waste.

I like the Addidas Ghost but the choices are many and varied depending on your type of foot. If you're a big guy forget flats and stay with Brooks and New Balance as they make great shoes for Clydesdales and Athenas. Keep your flats use to 10k and less and your speed work. I would suggest a cushioned trainer for runs in excess of 10k for sure and the moment you start to get knee pain or some other manifestation of a running injury get away from racing flats. They have a purpose and their pupose is in the name. Flats.

No I mean racing. Racing, they are racing flats and have an intended purpose. Sure you can train in racing flats and I could also train on my good wheels in a casual century ride...but I don't I save the good stuff for when I'm on the clock. Wearing more substantial shoes will serve you in the long run and keep you in the game for longer than if you pile on the miles in RACING flats.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:46 AM   #7
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
If you run in natural or Pose style, meaning ball-heel-ball landing, you can run in the same racing flats for years. I do so. Nike Waffle Racer is my recommendation, too. Cushioned shoes with high heels will only cause problems with natural or Pose style running, due to the artificially high lift of the heel (e.g., cramped calves or instable ankle).

If you don't run in natural or Pose style, you better don't try training in racing flats. You will injure yourself in no time.

And yes, it is worth the effort to switch to natural or Pose style. Takes some months, gains many years of injury-free running. Read Gordon Pirie's free book "Running fast and injury free", available at http://www.gordonpirie.com/. Probably all you need to get going.

Just my 2 cent,

Christian