CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 09-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #1
Sarah Miller

Profile:
Recommened Calorie Intake

I am trying to understand the crossfit calorie prescriptions (from http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-diet.html)
The CrossFit dietary prescription is as follows:
Protein should be lean and varied and account for about 30% of your total caloric load.
Carbohydrates should be predominantly low-glycemic and account for about 40% of your total caloric load.
Fat should be predominantly monounsaturated and account for about 30% of your total caloric load.
Calories should be set at between .7 and 1.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass depending on your activity level. The .7 figure is for moderate daily workout loads and the 1.0 figure is for the hardcore athlete.
Suppose your weight is 60 kg your total calorie intake would be between

0.7*2*60*4/0.3 = 1120
and

1.0*2*60*4/0.3 = 1600

which seems to be very low. (The factor 2 in the calculation is because of the kg to pound conversion, the factor 4 because of the protein to calorie conversion and the /0.3 because calories from protein should be 30 percent of your total caloric intake).

Another point I don't understand is, that this doesn't distinguish between men and women.

Please don't tell me that counting the calories is not so important. I just want to understand the crossfit nutrition prescription and why the caloric intake is so low.

For me this seems to be like a restrictive diet prescription to loose fat and not for a crossfit athlete which wants to build or just maintain muscle mass and body weight.

I just compared it with: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ which gives me above 2000 calories for an active female or 2300 for an active man (using Mifflin- St Jeor. research model).

So my questions are:

- Did I the calculations right?
- Why are the caloric prescriptions so low?
- How to explain the difference to the linked calculator?
- Is this meant for fat loss or for maintaining?
Old 09-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #2
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Recommened Calorie Intake

It is really pretty simple, if you are looking to maintain you probably want to eat in the 14-16 calories per pound body weight range, if you are looking to cut then 10-12, looking to gain 16+. You will need to tailor these numbers towards your needs as they are purely broad estimates but they are good starting points.

As far as protein, I like to be around 1g per pound body weight but this is most important while cutting for a multitude of reasons (helps maintain muscle, more satiating, higher TEF, etc). Other than that I let my fats and carbs fall wherever I like and helps me perform well.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:32 AM   #3
David Alexander

Profile:

1. Your calculations are off, Kilograms to pounds is kg x 2.2 (not 2...at 60kg that is a difference of 12 lbs). Using a calorie calculator that comes out to 132 g of protein, 60 g of fat, and 180 g of carbs with a 30-30-40 split and a total of 1788 calories.

2. This might seem low for an active crossfitter, but I would consider this a reasonable maintenance diet for a 132lb female.

3. The linked calculator you used is a completely different system. Notice it has much higher carbs and lower fat.

4. Consider this a baseline for maintaining, and of course adjust as needed based on your goals.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:28 AM   #4
Jeremy Jouette

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Miller View Post
I am trying to understand the crossfit calorie prescriptions (from http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/start-diet.html)
The CrossFit dietary prescription is as follows:
Protein should be lean and varied and account for about 30% of your total caloric load.
Carbohydrates should be predominantly low-glycemic and account for about 40% of your total caloric load.
Fat should be predominantly monounsaturated and account for about 30% of your total caloric load.
Calories should be set at between .7 and 1.0 grams of protein per pound of lean body mass depending on your activity level. The .7 figure is for moderate daily workout loads and the 1.0 figure is for the hardcore athlete.
Suppose your weight is 60 kg your total calorie intake would be between

0.7*2*60*4/0.3 = 1120
and

1.0*2*60*4/0.3 = 1600

which seems to be very low. (The factor 2 in the calculation is because of the kg to pound conversion, the factor 4 because of the protein to calorie conversion and the /0.3 because calories from protein should be 30 percent of your total caloric intake).

Another point I don't understand is, that this doesn't distinguish between men and women.

Please don't tell me that counting the calories is not so important. I just want to understand the crossfit nutrition prescription and why the caloric intake is so low.

For me this seems to be like a restrictive diet prescription to loose fat and not for a crossfit athlete which wants to build or just maintain muscle mass and body weight.

I just compared it with: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ which gives me above 2000 calories for an active female or 2300 for an active man (using Mifflin- St Jeor. research model).

So my questions are:

- Did I the calculations right?
- Why are the caloric prescriptions so low?
- How to explain the difference to the linked calculator?
- Is this meant for fat loss or for maintaining?
After doing a lot of different diet programs over the past 4 years, i wholeheartedly recommend you check out renaissance periodization. you can message me if you want more info.
Old 09-19-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

"calculating" daily calorie needs is quite simple. Just check your weight on a weekly basis and adjust based on your goals.

The basal metabolic rate calculators are extremely accuare, as we humans mostly spend the same amount of energy for basic needs, but its the individualisation that matters and calculators are unable to include all the parameters that affects one's daily energy needs.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #6
Skip Chase

Profile:

Download and follow CrossFit Journal 21. Period.
http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...ue21_May04.pdf

I began Jan 2006 and have been a paleo zoner ever since. I went from 185, 19% body to 165 under 10% in 8 weeks. My performance, health and body composition improved and it has remained for nearly 10 years.

I began presenting seminars at our gym every 3 months on the zone and observed long term success in our members following each seminar. I travel to other affiliates doing the seminar and I continue to observe membership success. I'm doing one this Saturday at CrossFit Yucca Valley and it's the 4th time I've been there. They continue to invite me back because of the success their members are having.

We don't count calories. We measure blocks.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:06 PM   #7
David Alexander

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Chase View Post
Download and follow CrossFit Journal 21. Period.
http://www.crossfit.com/journal/libr...ue21_May04.pdf

I began Jan 2006 and have been a paleo zoner ever since. I went from 185, 19% body to 165 under 10% in 8 weeks. My performance, health and body composition improved and it has remained for nearly 10 years.

I began presenting seminars at our gym every 3 months on the zone and observed long term success in our members following each seminar. I travel to other affiliates doing the seminar and I continue to observe membership success. I'm doing one this Saturday at CrossFit Yucca Valley and it's the 4th time I've been there. They continue to invite me back because of the success their members are having.

We don't count calories. We measure blocks.
Isn't measuring blocks and counting calories the same thing? You're taking a numerical value of the food you're eating. It's just that zone is less accurate.
Old 09-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #8
Skip Chase

Profile:

Less accurate? Less accurate at what?
Old 09-28-2015, 10:44 AM   #9
David Alexander

Profile:

Zone applies the same value of proteins and fats to 5oz of chicken breast as it does to 5oz of ribeye steak, even though the steak is 17f and 18p, while the chicken is 2f and 37p. Doesn't make sense, right? So yes counting macros/calories is just as easy (even easier if using an calorie counting app) as counting blocks. You still have to weigh and measure your food, but you know less about what is going in your body with zone.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #10
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Zone is designed with hidden calories. I have seen estimates as high as 25%. This is why Zone, if you do the math, looks so low. It actually is inline with most calorie counting systems with reasonable restrictions.

I'm 5'11" 205, active.

If I go 25 blocks on Zone I get 25x91=2275. If I assume 25% hidden calories (fat in protein source) it would put me at 2275*1.25 = 2,844.

Using more traditional methods I get recommended calories of 2,950 for break even while supporting training.

As you can see they are close. If I went lean on my protein source the calories for Zone would be lower.

Zone is a system to keep it simple for people who don't want to really track macros. When it was invented it made good sense. Now with apps like MyFitnessPal that can scan bar codes to track food it is much easier to track macros.

All good nutrition plans are actually very similar. Eat real food, eat the correct calorie amount, get enough protein and find the carb/fat balance that works for you to round out the calories.