CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-09-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
Jeff Metzger

Profile:
Re: My Rhabdo Experience

OK, so I'm trying to come up with a coherent informed approach to my fitness post rhabdo. There's not much info around, other than, take it easy and don't do what got you rhabdo'ed in the first place.

I thinking that take it easy means stay away from challenging met cons. And don't do what got you in trouble means stay away from eccentric intense volume.

What that leaves me with is strength training. So I'm considering Starting Strength or something along those lines, with the odd met-con thrown in. All areas of my conditioning need work, so concentrating on strength training is not a bad thing at all for me.

Thoughts, comments?

TIA,
Jeff
Old 02-09-2012, 06:18 PM   #12
Steven Low

Profile:

I'd do strength work for a few months, before I started anything metabolic.

If you are going to go "metabolic" within that time, do something that is more focused on cardiovascular output like sprinting, or burpees. Not heavy exercises.

3-4 months out maybe start adding some more metabolic heavy exercises in.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #13
Jeff Metzger

Profile:
Re: My Rhabdo Experience, now part 2

Haven't been on the board for quite some time, thought I'd refresh this topic.
My recovery has been not so good. After trying to, "ease," my way back into fitness I tried a bodyweight workout with my wife. It was 50 each of pushup, situps, squats, good mornings and pull-ups. I used a band for the pull-ups and back into the hospital I went with another round of Rhabdo. Not quite as severe this time, CPK was about 35,000. In for a week. This was all about two months ago and about three or four months after my first go round. I haven't worked out since.
So some doctors are scratching their heads with me wondering how the heck I could be struck twice in under a year with Rhabdo. Trying to track down any underlying conditions or contributory elements. No joy yet...
Liver and kidney function are good.
I don't take statins, but I do take Effexor and Remeron for anxiety and Enalapril for HBP. My blood pressure is improving and should be off the Enalapril soon.
Our plan is to get me off all the prescriptions and do more blood work in an attempt to see what my normal CPK level is. Then start adding in variables like exercise and see where I go.
I do intend to get back into working out but will need to re-examine just what I can do. The high volume stuff has been my undoing.
More later...
Old 09-21-2012, 02:31 AM   #14
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

i'm new to CF and the forum, and I'm not super-star athlete or professional fitness nut.

but, ease-up mate. seriously, you've had Rhabdo 2 times in as many months...maybe easing off and just (sorry to say) spending time on the treadmill or an elliptical would do you some good. just whilst your body recovers from the trauma you've put it though.

once you've recovered then by all means get back into it, but don't start with crazy weights.

you've got two battles -
1. obviously you're getting rhabdo and you'll have to deal with that in the immediate term
2. you mentioned your a former endurance athlete, and 57 both these things should point that you're body isn't conditioned to do prolonged EXPLOSIVE movements with (medium) amounts of weights. would you go an run a marathon after a year off with out first conditioning yourself? you also point out that you're just weak and untrained. whilst it might not be what you want to hear, but perhaps you need to scale back even more? I'm sure no one will think any less if you're not Rx'ed
Old 09-22-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
Darrell E. White

Profile:

Ken,

Muscle biopsy. There are inherited disorders that predispose to Rhabdo. Expensive, but in your case worth it.

Best of luck.

--bingo
Old 11-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #16
Jeff Metzger

Profile:

OK. I got off the various potentially rhabdo predisposing drugs, effexor and remeron. Got all kinds of blood work done. Everything normal, CPX at 19 or so...nothing notable. Except that I've got Lyme. So I've been on heavy antibiotics with an admonishment to, you guessed it, "Take It Easy." Have another ten days to go.
The doc said everything came back unremarkable so we could do an EMG, but his prediction was that it too will be unremarkable. His workout regimen for me is to aspire to long walks on the treadmill and elliptical, maybe some Yoga and someday very light machine work, never with more than ten pounds of resistance.
He surmises that I just worked out too hard and should never do that again.
Well, I am now certaintly in the worst shape of my life. I started doing pushups abmats air squats and just hanging from a pull up bar a few days ago.
whew. Starting to get my nutrition nudged back on the straight and narrow. I'm a good ten pounds over...
Thinking I may go back to Crossfit Sklyands and just be prepared to scale the crap out of EVERYTHING for a good long while. Or I might do a SS or like program...somewhere. I don't know.