CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #21
Thomas Davenport

Profile:  
Re: At what point are lifting shoes a good investment?

I have VERY narrow feet. I wear a men's 14A in my dress shoes (14 might be a bit long, but in dress shoes they don't do half sizes over 13).

I have the now discontinued Adidas Ironworks in a 13.5 and they fit me perfectly. I also have the Adidas Power Perfects in a 13.5 and they also fit me well, so it seems reasonable to conclude that Adidas sizing is narrow across the spectrum.

Here is a work safe link to the Adidas Adistars which were Adidas' previous top of the line lifting shoe before the current Adipowers:

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/products/shoesFR.html (SFW)

This site seems to have a decent inventory of the Adistars. The owner of the site, whose name escapes me, was very, very helpful when I called and bought my Ironworks a couple of years ago, so he could help size these correctly for you. These are about $50 less than the Adipowers.

I would steer you away from the Adidas Power Perfects, even though they are bit less expensive. I found very quickly that I didn't like them for heavy squats, cleans, etc. I will use them for the occasional WOD that includes a WL movement, mostly because I have them and want to justify their purchase. The heel is not nearly as stiff as a real lifting shoe like the Adistar or Adipower (or my Ironworks), so you get less support for lifting, although you have more flexibility for other movements (I can actually box jump and do double unders in the Power Perfects, something I can't do in my Ironworks). Also, as a nitpick, I hate how high on the foot the strap lies on the Power Perfect, as it interferes with lacing.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Thomas Davenport; 07-06-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Old 07-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #22
Jade Simpson

Profile:

Thanks SO much for the help

Yeah, I am about a 10 in regular shoes, 9.5 in dress shoes, but have super narrow feet and tiny ankles, I still haven't found a regular crossfit shoes I LOVE. Some I like, but not love.

I am very grateful for the help!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:27 PM   #23
Keith Miller

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Davenport View Post
I have VERY narrow feet. I wear a men's 14A in my dress shoes (14 might be a bit long, but in dress shoes they don't do half sizes over 13).

I have the now discontinued Adidas Ironworks in a 13.5 and they fit me perfectly. I also have the Adidas Power Perfects in a 13.5 and they also fit me well, so it seems reasonable to conclude that Adidas sizing is narrow across the spectrum.

Here is a work safe link to the Adidas Adistars which were Adidas' previous top of the line lifting shoe before the current Adipowers:

http://www.dynamic-eleiko.com/products/shoesFR.html (SFW)

This site seems to have a decent inventory of the Adistars. The owner of the site, whose name escapes me, was very, very helpful when I called and bought my Ironworks a couple of years ago, so he could help size these correctly for you. These are about $50 less than the Adipowers.

I would steer you away from the Adidas Power Perfects, even though they are bit less expensive. I found very quickly that I didn't like them for heavy squats, cleans, etc. I will use them for the occasional WOD that includes a WL movement, mostly because I have them and want to justify their purchase. The heel is not nearly as stiff as a real lifting shoe like the Adistar or Adipower (or my Ironworks), so you get less support for lifting, although you have more flexibility for other movements (I can actually box jump and do double unders in the Power Perfects, something I can't do in my Ironworks). Also, as a nitpick, I hate how high on the foot the strap lies on the Power Perfect, as it interferes with lacing.

Hope this helps!
The guys name is Bud Charniga, and yes they are very helpful. I have bought singlets and a pair of shoes from him, and they picked out the perfect sizes for me.

Also, I think you mean the PowerLift Trainers. The Power Perfect II's have solid heels, although they are a bit higher than normal, but some people like that.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:30 PM   #24
Dylan Forbes

Profile:

People who play basketball get basketball shoes, people who play golf, soccer, football you name it wear shoes appropiate to their sport. As do dancers, tradespeople, officeworkers. Why the hell would lifters be any different?

None of the above say "oh im only a novice"
Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 PM   #25
Jade Simpson

Profile:

Dylan, I think I may get a shirt that says that
Old 07-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #26
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Seems like the OP has already been convinced, but I'll throw in my .02 anyways.

I just did squats in my newly purchased Do-Wins for the first time yesterday. I've been lifting weights for quite a while. My back squat is probably my best lift and I feel like my technique is fairly sound (fwiw I have a very olympic style squat; high bar, narrow stance). For a couple of years now I've been relying on adidas sambas to lift in.

I loved lifting in the new shoes, but I'd say I was about 50/50 in them as far as technique goes. Some reps I found myself drifting onto my toes a little bit coming out of the hole. Other reps I would really sit back onto my heels and get that "aha! that was a good rep" feel.

I don't think it will be a hard transition for me to make all my reps decent, especially since I have traditionally squatted very upright. The point I'm trying to get at is, if you're thinking that you would eventually like to lift in a pair of weightlifting shoes you should get into them as early as possible so that you're learning to get comfortable really sitting back and taking full advantage of what the shoe is providing. It's never too early to start learning the right technique.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #27
Michael Henry

Profile:

Another plug for the Adidas. I have had the Ironwork III for a few years (same pair) now and I like them. At the time I was working out in a globo so I wanted a shoe that looked "regular." They are narrow, noticeably, when I first tried them on, but I eventually broke them in. I had to get a size 9 (9.5 in every other shoe I've ever worn, even other Adidas running shoes). Definitely a dress shoe fit. I wear them for WODs that don't have running (obviously) or (sometimes) burpees, and I can do rope climbs with them. For the most part, they never touch the ground outside of the gym.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:51 AM   #28
Thomas Davenport

Profile:  

Close the loop for us. . . .Whatcha git? How y'all like 'em? [Note: translated into Alabaman]
Old 07-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #29
Richard Rubin

Profile:

Just an FYI if you decide to go with Reebok Oly's (I have them and love them, but I have nothing to compare to but Vibrams), there is almost always a discount code available. I got a 30% off code from Level 1 cert and got the shoes for ~$100 plus shipping. If no one in your box recently got their cert, I'm sure there is someone around here that can get you a code. The code isn't a one time use, it's usable for the month after passing the cert. Maybe even more, I haven't tried mine since it "expired".
Old 07-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #30
Ron Thurston

Profile:

I purchased the Risto Sports Linea Blanca and I love them. Other than taking forever to get them (backordered), they are incredible. You won't regret getting yourself any pair of Oly shoes. We've got members with just about every pair and everyone likes every brand.