CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-30-2008, 06:12 AM   #1
Chris Witkowski

Profile:
Palpitations

Anyone have dealings with palpitations. A day after my ME Hang squat clean WO I developed palpitations. Waited two days then went and saw the doctor. Got a EKG and echo. and bloodwork. The first two came back normal, still waiting on the blood work. But did some quick research on the internet and it shows that you can get palpitations from overexertion. I have been feeling tired lately and maybe the ME day put me over. Well anyway, anybody else have this and if so, how long until they go away. It's been like 4 days and still got them. I have been completely resting from CF, just doing little odds and ends stuff. Thanks.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:51 PM   #2
Mike Rosenberg

Profile:
Re: Palpitations

I'd go with your personal physician's advice and guidance before soliciting input anywhere else.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Adam Drake

Profile:

Palpitations are no joke so it's good you got them checked out.

I've experienced them for a few years now, usually not frequently but sometimes more than others. Evidently the kind I feel are perfectly normal (as long as they're not constant) but most people just never notice them. I'd say I usually notice them once per day on average and usually not more than two or so "skipped beats."

I wore a 24hr Holter monitor and if I remember correctly it picked up 86 instances, maybe less though. Well within normal ranges.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prematu...ar_contraction

If your cardiologist says you're good, you probably are
Old 09-01-2008, 06:02 AM   #4
Camille Lore

Profile:  

I had them at the beginning of CF, they're gone now.
There's a thread in here from Bob Guere "heart skipping a beat"....
might find something good in there.
Old 09-01-2008, 09:30 AM   #5
Bob Guere

Profile:

Yep, mine are gone too... I've been keeping a keen eye on over-training and rest. Do what your MD says... keep your diet clean, and rest.
Old 09-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
Chris Witkowski

Profile:

From what I understand, there are different kinds of palpitations. I have the type that just make you aware that your heart is beating (sort of hard). Never been irregular, skipping beats or anything. Turns out the docs think it's anxiety. Definitely could be. I have been thinking about it for a week now. All my tests came out normal and I'm cleared to workout again. So tomorrow starts it again. Kinda helped taking my week off anyways. Thanks for everyones imput.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
Steven Bowser

Profile:

Chris,
Everyone is different and I can tell you from my experience I had them so bad I would get rushed to the hospital and they thought I was having mild Heart Attacks.
After a dozen tests and getting a CAT SCAN we figured out it was Reflux believe it or not. I had huge gas pockets causing me to get the same feelings of a Heart Attack. The same nerves get irratated around your heart when you get Heart Burn. Sorry I cant explain it in medical terms but I dont seem to get it anymore since I cleaned up my diet and have to watch what I eat before I train.
Dont mess around get it looked at via a CAT SCAN or Nuc. Stress Test.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Chris Witkowski

Profile:

Thank you for being so helpful. I continued my fight against diagnosis anxiety. Anxiety is just not me. I have asthma and have been taking Advair for a looooooong time. Well, the doc is now wondering that with my acid reflux surgery (correcting 90% of my asthma), being in CF shape, and the loss of weight, that maybe I'm taking too much meds for my asthma now. So he changed some meds around and giving that a try. Doc is pretty confident that my heart is nice and sound. Thanks again.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #9
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Good news all around!