CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 11-19-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Dave Young

Profile:
Raising/lowering rings

Does anyone have a creative way to mount rings so that you can raise/lower them together without having to adjust the individual straps? Pix please if possible.

Dave Young
Old 11-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #2
Brandon Oto

Profile:
Re: Raising/lowering rings

Johan in Rotterdam has his rings on ropes, through hooks in the ceiling, then down pulley-fashion wrapped to cleats low on the wall. All he has to do is unwravel the rope from the cleat a few turns, adjust, then loop it back up. Pretty sexy.
Old 11-19-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
John Seiler

Profile:

How far?

How about a daisy chain and caribiners?

wfs: http://www.rei.com/search?vcat=REI_S...ry=daisy+chain
Old 11-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:

I will post a picture of what I have done tonight. Daily chains may be overkill.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Paul Findley

Profile:

It's not pretty, but it works, could be prettier if I put some finishing touches on it, plus I just hacked up an old static line I got from a dumpster dive.

These are the elite rings, only I replaced the adjustable webbing straps with flat webbing from a local hardware store.

I show the attachment to the ceiling. I bolted those through 2x8s in the ceiling of my garage.

There are 3 positions.

1) Long ropes for Pushups
2) Shorter ropes for Dips
3) The length of webbing alone is for Muscle Ups.

Took a couple of tweaks as the knots set to get them the same length, now they don't move.

Since they hang over my platform, I can easily unclip them and get them out of the way.

You can buy perlon cord at REI if you dont have a static rope to destroy. They probably will not have flat webbing, but they may. Tubular webbing would be too thick for the slots in the rings.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ring.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	999  Click image for larger version

Name:	Attach.JPG
Views:	298
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	1000  Click image for larger version

Name:	3pos.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	1001  
Old 11-20-2007, 06:16 PM   #6
Dennis Barrett

Profile:

I have an open ceiling in my workout area with exposed 2x 12 joists. I put heavy I-bolts with large washers near the top edge of the joists. I hung a length of chain from each eye bolt @ 10ft down to 48" from the floor. If you take care to drill the holes for the I bolts level then each opposing link in the chains will be level.
My straps are standard rachet straps from Home Depot. The straps run loose through the rings then one rubber coated hook is placed into the other.
Hook a strap into opposing links in each chain. Run out enough strap length to keep all the buckles and hooks above your shoulders in the "stance" position. For me this is about 37" from the bottom of the rings to the hardware. Start with some extra length and place a level across the two rings and rachet it to "level".
If you mark a few key links along each chain at different points, you can instantly change ring height at 1" increments without having to level for pushups, ring rows, dips and stance. If you're having trouble on ring dips, drop both sides down 3-4 links so your toes start to touch as you get to the bottom.

Dennis B.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:36 PM   #7
Tyler Hass

Profile:

With the Elite Rings, what I recommend is just marking a few different heights with a sharpee pen. Then when you change the height, you can just go right to your marks and you don't need to worry about leveling the rings. I think this is faster than chain/carabiner setups that I have seen.

Tyler
ringtraining.com
Old 11-21-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
Tom Fetter

Profile:

I've swung mine on ropes over the pullup bar in my rack. Led the ends of the ropes down to the safety bars, before making them fast.

Easy enough to raise and lower, but straps would be much more pleasant on the arms.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:38 PM   #9
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

The idea of just having 3 different rope sizes sounds actually like a really good one to me. Of course there's the pain of having to get 3 different sets of rope/webbing. Personally I'm happy with lowering/raising mine manually (I have Elite too). Compared to my old homemade ones it's a breeze!
Old 11-24-2010, 12:13 AM   #10
Rick Manderscheid

Profile:

Dave,

Why yes! I do have a creative way to raise and lower rings together without having to adjust the individual straps -- three years after your request.

When I discovered rings a year ago, it was clear that hanging them in the living room in a removable way was the way to go for me. One cheesy innovation to my approach is to make the removal easy with S-Hooks. A binder clip screwed to the end of a wooden closet rod is a very simple approach to hooking the S-hooks to the eye screws and pushing the hook off the eye screw as well. I'm sure you have a different setup, so I don't want to go too crazy on suggesting the best way to layout an approach. I'm 6'1", and the bottom of that beam is 13'4" off the floor, and there's plenty of room. I retained that last two feet of strap to allow for the rotation of the EXF Fitness rings to get the different textures.

The parts are a little obscure, but are easy to find online. I bought everything except for the eye screws at a local West Marine, since the best pulleys out there seem to be for sailboats. I settled on the Harken 40mm Carbo Air Block line [no affiliation or potential gain, bla bla bla], which have safe working loads of 475# and are rated to 1600#, but there are several other makes that will work just fine. I went with an old-fashioned manual cleat, but they do make cam cleats that are much faster. When I look at one, it seems a little risky, so I avoided. It's your neck!

The list of stuff I used, with the right double pulley listed instead of the one I found locally:

* 2 eye screws ($5)
* 2 S-hooks, bent a little more on one side for safety ($10)
* New England Ropes Sta-Set from West Marine ($25?)
* a plastic cleat ($6)
* single pulley - the Harken 2650 ($20)
* double pulley - use a Harken 2638 instead of what I chose ($45)
* strap ($10)
* Strap adjusters ($4)

It looks pricey at ~$125, but it's about two months of GloboGym membership fees, and the only piece of equipment I have that is more versatile is the floor.

In the future, it would be nice to find a way to have some sort of recess to pull these rings into, so they never need be taken down.

In use, every time I do a set of an exercise, I follow it with a set of its complement. The quick changeover makes it realistic.

Per your request, I have attached three pictures to show it off. Had to tweak one to show the rings against the fireplace.

-Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rings.livingroom.cf.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	7246  Click image for larger version

Name:	rings.ceilingmount.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	219.7 KB
ID:	7247  Click image for larger version

Name:	rings.cleat.pole.cf.jpg