CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-09-2004, 06:44 AM   #1
Michael Halbfish

Profile:
I'm curious as to people's thoughts on recovery. I hear and read so many conflicting things. How do you balance it with concepts like GTG and neuro facillitation? What are the best forms of active recovery? Are there things that people are doing to speed it up? ie hot/cold showers, ice massage, ARC, supplements, etc?
Old 01-10-2004, 01:06 PM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Michael-

I think i am stealing this directly from Dan John: sleep, consistent food, fish oil.

Anything you can do to relax between sessions I believe is of benefit. I think one of the bulgarian training hall tapes shows the lifters taking naps every two hours or so.
Robb
Old 01-10-2004, 02:53 PM   #3
Dan John

Profile:

Don't trust that Dan John guy...he is very suspect.

My little list: http://danjohn.org/recovery

Now, as I improve as an athlete, I'm noticing that I get smarter and smarter about recovery...a Ten workout requires a ten recovery. Most people don't spend five seconds thinking about it.

My current thing is to to train hard (Front Squats, Sleds, run to the park, push ups, pullup, free squats, run home, throw the tires and 56 pound weight), then jump into the hot tub (in the snow bank) with these drinks from Costco with vitamins and stuff and no calories. Then, ice shower...in the house this time of year, but during the warmer months I have one on my deck.

I think recover is the great secret. I am giving a workshop in Moab next weekend on Social Justice, but this issue of balancing work, rest, play and prayer are the focus of the talk. If anyone wants, I can send the Hand outs...
Old 01-10-2004, 03:04 PM   #4
Patrick Johnston

Profile:
Dan:

I would be interested in those handout.
Old 01-11-2004, 11:08 PM   #5
mark twight

Profile:

Never miss a chance to train.
Never miss a chance to recover.

Recovery is the key to training frequency.

So yes, hot/cold shower, eat in "the window," recovery walk, good sleep, induce relaxation aurally if necessary (I use a machine called Sportslink when I train too late in the day to get my head down at an appropriate hour), and don't obsess about training when you are not training. Be mindful, be here now.

Supplements too ... I have my own cocktail developed over many years of trying to get the most from what I was born with. It works for me, but I drank a lot of snake oil along the way, and ****ed away thousands of dollars.

Listen to Dan John - he manages time better than anyone I have ever met (which translates to training and recovering efficiently).

Mark T.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:28 AM   #6
Dan John

Profile:

Thank you, Mark...

http://danjohn.org/moab.pdf

It is a talk on Ethics and Social Justice but the concepts of "balance" ring true for anyone.