CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Pukie's Bucket
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Pukie's Bucket Bogus threads, trolls, and other malarkey

Old 04-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
Dave Lemanczyk

Profile:
6 Basic Rules of Training Success

There are a few very basic rules that need to be followed in order to make any type of training success.

1. Balance the entire body and free it from inherant weakness.
2. Strengthen the entire body as a unit and by function.
3. Total body training on "training days".
4. Low impact cardiovascular exercise on off "training days".
5. Adequate nutrition/hydration specific to you.
6. Optimal rest specific to you.

Most people that fail in their own training are missing one or more of the six factors I listed. I can tell you from my own experience that the stronger my legs are, the stronger I am. This goes for me and the thousands of athletes I have worked with. We don't squat or deadlift either. Instead we train by carrying heavy bags, handle kegs, drag sleds, and engage in total body training. The average exercise I have a trainee do lasts 5 minutes for example.

Fact is, when the body is worked hard and for long lengths of time, it breaks down. Once the inevitable physical breaks down takes place it needs to be fed, and then rested. When the body is ready to train again, heed the call.

It's not enough to pick a bunch of exercises and do them then call it "training". Your results won't be what you need if this is what's going on. Instead, evaluate your own weakness prior to training and choose exercises that exploit those weaknesses through training. Once those weak points become strengths over time you will reach a state of physical balance.

Combine that physical balance with the strength, power, endurance, and mental toughness earned along the journey then you have a warrior. These basic rules will help anyone train for serious results. I am sure someone, somewhere can sure use this reinforcement. Good luck!

Old 04-20-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
Sara Fleming

Profile:
Re: 6 Basic Rules of Training Success

Dave,

When you say that you exercise for five minutes, is that all they do for the day, or do you do multiple exercises?

What sorts of warmups, if any, do you do, and do you do any skillwork or practice before and after?

I'm doing some strongman (I guess it would be strong woman) training with some of my trainees now and I'm finding that like you stated above, the training is only about five minutes and completely sacks them out. The last workout we did was with heavy sandbags. They did a bearhug walk followed by shouldering the bag to each side 10 times, deadlifting the bag 10 times, and then a bearhug walk back to start. We did that three times. It took about seven minutes from start to finish.

However, we warmed up with the Crossfit warmup (OHS, pullups, dips, situps, back extensions) and we cooled down with some indirect core work (full contact twists with a barbell) because they are moms and we all need a little extra help there.

My clients train with me once or twice a week and then do Crossfit or Starting Strength type workouts on their own the remainder of the week. Some of them just do endurance type workouts. I'm trying to come up with some new ideas for structuring workouts.

Anyway, thanks for the post. I love this kind of training.

Sara

Old 04-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #3
Jose Michael Robledo

Profile:

8. Keep a training Log

Old 04-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Robby Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Michael Robledo View Post
8. Keep a training Log
Where's 7?

Old 04-20-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Jose Michael Robledo

Profile:

7 8 9

seven ate nine

Last edited by Jose Michael Robledo : 04-20-2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: seven

Old 04-20-2009, 03:50 PM   #6
Robby Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Michael Robledo View Post
7 8 9

seven ate nine

Haha good save, that deserves a dancing pepper!

Old 04-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
Dave Lemanczyk

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Fleming View Post
Dave,

When you say that you exercise for five minutes, is that all they do for the day, or do you do multiple exercises?

What sorts of warmups, if any, do you do, and do you do any skillwork or practice before and after?

I'm doing some strongman (I guess it would be strong woman) training with some of my trainees now and I'm finding that like you stated above, the training is only about five minutes and completely sacks them out. The last workout we did was with heavy sandbags. They did a bearhug walk followed by shouldering the bag to each side 10 times, deadlifting the bag 10 times, and then a bearhug walk back to start. We did that three times. It took about seven minutes from start to finish.

However, we warmed up with the CrossFit warmup (OHS, pullups, dips, situps, back extensions) and we cooled down with some indirect core work (full contact twists with a barbell) because they are moms and we all need a little extra help there.

My clients train with me once or twice a week and then do CrossFit or Starting Strength type workouts on their own the remainder of the week. Some of them just do endurance type workouts. I'm trying to come up with some new ideas for structuring workouts.

Anyway, thanks for the post. I love this kind of training.

Sara
Sara,

Thanx for the shout. To answer your questions; I have my athletes use a standard warm up that can last anywhere between five and fifteen minutes. These are progressively intense drills specific for each one of them. I will also do skill work with them but once again it completely depends on the sport. I work with baseball, football, basketball players alike. Once they are warm, I will throw an athlete into a maximum of five tasks that last a minimum of five minutes in total elapsed time. This is the workout.

The thing that separates what I do from other people is that I allow athletes to heal before ever training them again. I work with them on their natural healing schedule. Everything we do is sensible and carries over to what my clients need. Everything has a direct purpose. The results have spokken for themselves over the past several years.

To apply it to yourself and what you do;for starters training as a strongman imagine doing your bear hug carry with a sandbag but this time for a total of five minutes. No let down whatsoever, even it falls from your grasp, pick it back up, no matter how hard it may seem, and this is a true five minute battle. That's what I am talking about. Imagine the type of shape you would be then if you trained everything like that. Of course it's progressive but in time, all things are possible. This is the type of intensity I designed my training courses around. It works incredibly. You will amazed at the results.

Check out some videos of a few things I do @ http://www.youtube.com/dlemanczyk. Work safe link. This is just a small sample of the many services I provide my athletes.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:24 PM   #8
Sara Fleming

Profile:

Thanks Dave, that's awesome.

I just built a welded wire lined split rail fence in my backyard and am in the process of filling up the raised beds I also built with dirt to start planting my vegetable garden. Everyone makes fun of me for not hiring someone to do this work, but I tell them its my Spring training. Twenty pound digging bars, post hole diggers, lumber, sledge hammers, shovels, and wheel barrows make great training tools as well. Its a matter of perspective. And none of my lifts have suffered from neglect, they are, in fact stronger.

Sara

Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
Jacob Israel Briskin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lemanczyk View Post
We don't squat or deadlift either. Instead we.... engage in total body training.
Troll detected. Take this poorly written advertising elsewhere.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:42 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Dave does seem to be expounding his training systems a bit lately since he has posted a lot on them while being new.

I think it's just another flavor of training but it could be said it isn't necessarily the CF flavor.