CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #1
Daniel OBrien

Profile:
Putting a Kid on a loadable sled. Possibilities?

Not a normal question, but I'm wondering if there's a way to put a seat or something else on a loadable sled that would allow a little one to ride on it.

My daughter loves riding on something similar to this: http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...3538707591.jpg (wfs)

But I know it's going to break eventually since I'm basically sprinting with her in it...and it's not loadable with weight (easily loadable anyway).

I already have a Rogue S-35 pull sled, but would be looking at something bigger - maybe Rogue Dog Sled 1.2 size. Are there any sleds out there that anyone has seen that I could put a kid's seat or something relatively safe on it? Or any other ideas? I don't have any welding skill.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #2
Danny Bostwick

Profile:
Re: Putting a Kid on a loadable sled. Possibilities?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel OBrien View Post
Not a normal question, but I'm wondering if there's a way to put a seat or something else on a loadable sled that would allow a little one to ride on it.

My daughter loves riding on something similar to this: http://images.lowes.com/product/conv...3538707591.jpg (wfs)

But I know it's going to break eventually since I'm basically sprinting with her in it...and it's not loadable with weight (easily loadable anyway).

I already have a Rogue S-35 pull sled, but would be looking at something bigger - maybe Rogue Dog Sled 1.2 size. Are there any sleds out there that anyone has seen that I could put a kid's seat or something relatively safe on it? Or any other ideas? I don't have any welding skill.
I know less than nothing about parenting, but this doesn't sound like a super great idea.

That being said, I did way dumber stuff when I was kid and I'm still kickin' so that being said. I would consider the dog sled, at least she would have something to hold onto.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
Daniel OBrien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bostwick View Post
I know less than nothing about parenting, but this doesn't sound like a super great idea.

That being said, I did way dumber stuff when I was kid and I'm still kickin' so that being said. I would consider the dog sled, at least she would have something to hold onto.
Well, I wasn't considering putting her on there and saying "hold onto the plates" or something like that. The only way I would consider this if she could be secured on there, either by attaching a car seat with harness or some kind of seat and buckle mechanism. So far, I can't think of any way of putting something like that on any of the available sleds...
Old 09-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

I would not recommend faster than walking speed with a little person on the sled. And if it is heavy and you are basically walking, a seat belt shouldn't be necessary. It's not so much the speed or the acceleration when you are getting moving, which you can mostly control, but the possibility of hitting a rock or catching a curb at high speed and coming to a sudden halt. In which worst case scenario the kid could go flying yes, but more likely they could hang on and instead whack their body with any of the various steel poles/parts of the sled . Now you have a bruised and crying kid and no workout. Not worth the risk. You would need padding and airbags and a strap-in chair to make this even remotely "safe." Make the sled heavy enough to walk shorter distances and be extra careful anyway .
Old 09-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #5
Daniel OBrien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio Leal View Post
I would not recommend faster than walking speed with a little person on the sled. And if it is heavy and you are basically walking, a seat belt shouldn't be necessary. It's not so much the speed or the acceleration when you are getting moving, which you can mostly control, but the possibility of hitting a rock or catching a curb at high speed and coming to a sudden halt. In which worst case scenario the kid could go flying yes, but more likely they could hang on and instead whack their body with any of the various steel poles/parts of the sled . Now you have a bruised and crying kid and no workout. Not worth the risk. You would need padding and airbags and a strap-in chair to make this even remotely "safe." Make the sled heavy enough to walk shorter distances and be extra careful anyway .
A curb? This wouldn't come anywhere close to the streets...either my sister's backyard or a baseball field near my house.

If everything goes as planned, there's no way she could go flying....she'd be buckled in, in a seat or something, and I'd be pushing enough weight that it wouldn't be moving that fast. This is also on grass.

So going slow, kid buckled in a seat or something, open field with no rocks, curbs or other obstacles. Any suggestions for an actual apparatus?

Besides a Dogsled, I was thinking maybe a jogging stroller, but it needs to have more resistance obviously...

Last edited by Daniel OBrien : 09-02-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #6
Mauricio Leal

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel OBrien View Post
A curb? This wouldn't come anywhere close to the streets...either my sister's backyard or a baseball field near my house.

If everything goes as planned, there's no way she could go flying....she'd be buckled in, in a seat or something, and I'd be pushing enough weight that it wouldn't be moving that fast. This is also on grass.

So going slow, kid buckled in a seat or something, open field with no rocks, curbs or other obstacles. Any suggestions for an actual apparatus?
I could think of lots of other things that a sled could catch on... a divot in the dirt or a slight change in grade.

But, assuming you are confident that nothing like this can happen, I'd recommend something like the rogue dog sled, but remove the center post, place a child car seat there (or similarly robust chair with built-in belt/harness), and strap it down in a few directions until it's not going anywhere (to four posts would probably work). Not sure about attachment points on the seat itself, but I'm sure there's something reasonable available between the undercarriage and topside. Load additional plates on the push posts instead of on the center one. If you don't want to remove the center post there might be enough room to place the seat in front of the post and strap it to that and the two front posts.

Do a GIS for "child car seat attachment points" so you can see what your rigging options are (though you may have one already).

You could also go all cray cray and rig something that uses the seat's actual built-in attachment system, but I'm not familiar with those and it could be quite a project. Good luck!
Old 09-02-2014, 12:29 PM   #7
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I wouldn't buckle them in just incase they did fall/tip over. I don't want them to risk getting pinned under.

I have let my boys 8 & 9 sit on my prowler/sled while pushing. But then again I'm in the middle of the street and it ain't going that fast as it is usually 200lbs+.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:45 AM   #8
Rob Darden

Profile:

Get a Rogue Dogsled and a wheel barrow bucket. Cut a hole in the bucket and slide it on to the middle post. She can sit in it and hold on to the post. You can still add weight to the post that you hold on to. Too easy!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:10 AM   #9
Daniel OBrien

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Darden View Post
Get a Rogue Dogsled and a wheel barrow bucket. Cut a hole in the bucket and slide it on to the middle post. She can sit in it and hold on to the post. You can still add weight to the post that you hold on to. Too easy!
Hmm...leaving the middle post sounds even easier. Thanks! I was already thinking that the middle post would be useless if there was any type of seating mechanism.

I might look out for a winter sled too...preferably a cheap one since I'll be drilling a hole through it.

I was originally thinking the car seat would be the seat...but it would be a PITA to unlatch that thing every time.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:27 PM   #10
Tim Trujillo

Profile:

I bought a a wheelbarrow, pulled off the bucket, drilled a hole in a steel plate and mounted that to the front with an eye bolt. Drop in some bumpers, put your kid on top and get to work. Don't over think the simple things, kids are kids and we are kids. Let our wife's worry.......now take them kids to the park.