CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-22-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
Kevin Bowman

Profile:
Rower - C2 v. everything else

Quick ? - Why the C2 Rower?
What makes it superior?

I have access to getting a rower (healthrider or something like that) for free, which would be better than nothing, but not the C2.

Having never used a rower, I probably could not tell #$%^ from shinola on them.

thanks,

Old 08-22-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Todd Rehm

Profile:
Re: Rower - C2 v. everything else

Much like CrossFit, the community for C2 rowers is incredible. The online logs and C2 forums are great. The monitor tools and softwares like RowPro allow you to race others over the internet.

Using the same erg that others use means your times are comparable.

There are a couple of other machines that approach the C2 in usability, but the combination of usability, durability and community are what make it tops in my book.

FWIW, I bought my C2 used out of the rec center at a major state university. Untold meters on it, and it's an older Model C. Spent about $50 bucks to upgrade the handle, replace the chain and bungee, and I've rowed the better part of a million miles on it. It's the york barbell of rowers.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Rehm View Post
Much like CrossFit, the community for C2 rowers is incredible. The online logs and C2 forums are great. The monitor tools and softwares like RowPro allow you to race others over the internet.

Using the same erg that others use means your times are comparable.

There are a couple of other machines that approach the C2 in usability, but the combination of usability, durability and community are what make it tops in my book.

FWIW, I bought my C2 used out of the rec center at a major state university. Untold meters on it, and it's an older Model C. Spent about $50 bucks to upgrade the handle, replace the chain and bungee, and I've rowed the better part of a million miles on it. It's the york barbell of rowers.
How did you upgrade the handle? I've never heard of this. And where did you buy the replacement?
Old 08-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Todd Rehm

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Loucas View Post
How did you upgrade the handle? I've never heard of this. And where did you buy the replacement?
Go to www.concept2.com (wfs) and go to the "Shop" header. Once at the online store, select "Indoor Rower Parts".

If you own the model C, like I do, choose the model C and pick your parts. Everything that's not either the frame itself or the flywheel is easily replaceable.

Retrofitting the plastic handle from the model D/E costs $15.00 plus shipping. Takes maybe three minutes. Longer if you have to hunt for your wrench or socket set. Great upgrade as I learned on a model D and like the handle feel.

If you have any questions, Concept2 customer support is incredible. I ordered a bunch of parts but forgot something. That something cost like a dollar or so. I called to order it and the operator said, "oh, the shipping's more than the part we'll just send it to you."

Such a change from any other customer service I've ever experienced. If the quality of their machines didn't make me a lifelong fan, customer support would have done the trick.

I just feel bad that I'll never possibly wear out my C2 and won't have the chance to buy another some day.

I fully expect my model C to last 30 years like my York barbells.

Last edited by Todd Rehm; 08-23-2010 at 07:24 PM.. Reason: left something out
Old 08-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

If you are using it for training, nearly any rower with drag will work. If you are interested in meaningful comparisons of times to other people, C2 is by far the way to go. Water rowers can be a pain to fix as well.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
Marcus Smith

Profile:

I agree with the general concensus in that there are other models but C2 are the best I have used and allows you to compare easily.
The C2 site is really awesome for help, logs and general info on their machines.
Last time I looked at a second hand one they were reasonable and they are easy to repair also.
They should be mandatory in every fitness facility, the effect you can get from them, be it in 30 seconds hard out or a 2k row is insane. Lots of blood sweat and tears shed on our one.
Cheers
Old 08-24-2010, 01:23 AM   #7
Kevin Bowman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie J. Skibicki View Post
If you are using it for training, nearly any rower with drag will work. If you are interested in meaningful comparisons of times to other people, C2 is by far the way to go. Water rowers can be a pain to fix as well.
When I see one on CL, the price is $300-$500. Not that it would not be worth it, but budget is a big concern right now (and space)

The Health Rider thing (Not a rower, but a "rider") would be free.
Similar to this WFS Safe - Healthrider site

Old 08-24-2010, 04:21 AM   #8
Glenn Pendlay

Profile:

Personally, I love the C2, and I would never have another rower in my gym or home, at least as long as someting better never comes along, lol. But, what is even better than that is getting out on the lake on a rowing boat or a kayak. Thats where I spend my weekends...
Old 08-24-2010, 05:04 AM   #9
Darla Powell

Profile:

Here ya' go. A whole recent thread

Why Rowing? wfs because it's here
Old 08-24-2010, 05:07 AM   #10
Mark Kosmowski

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bowman View Post
When I see one on CL, the price is $300-$500. Not that it would not be worth it, but budget is a big concern right now (and space)

The Health Rider thing (Not a rower, but a "rider") would be free.
Similar to this WFS Safe - Healthrider site
Why not start with free and if you like having access to an erg, you could save up for a used C2 over time if you wanted to.