CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-18-2008, 05:06 AM   #1
Parth Shah

Profile:
How do we get people to start logging their workouts?

People come up to me all the time and ask me to create a workout for them. Recently my cousin came up to me and asked me to develop a few workouts which "compliment" his regular program. Now, the situation here is that I'm already a bit angry at him because I developed a full program for him using CF principles, that he never used. Now he's using some strange BB split thing. But when I explained to him that I can't give him some random workouts without looking at his training diary, he told me he doesn't have one.

I've noticed that 70% of the people that come up to me (email, through website, in person, facebook, etc) do not log their workouts. Is there something that I or we can do to spread the word of how important logging your training and nutrition is? I mean, I don't even know what the problem here is. If you're running a business and looking to improve, you'd want to have some accounting there. So if your training your body and looking to improve, you'd want to have some sort of accounting as well.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: How do we get people to start logging their workouts?

If you have an old computer, you can have them start an excel spreadsheet or just a text document that logs each workout. Websites like (wfs) www.logsitall.com are relatively easy to use. People here use the Workout Logs part of the forums to do it. Many other websites have training log portions of their forums for the community to look at.

Hell - I have a Fat Little Notebook and a pen I take to the gym each time, and its my paper copy of my forum log.

The key to a log's importance is that unless you have something to compare to, you can't know if you have improved. I don't care if someone has done CrossFit for years, if they have never timed their workouts, their runs, the number of pull-ups they can do, etc...they have absolutely no proof that they have improved. Heck even having to switch to a smaller waist size is some measurement of body composition improvement.

A workout log is an essential part of the journey, and I agree 100% that people need to have some accounting for what they are doing. I can say with reasonable certainty that the people who go to the gym and do the exact same thing everyday do no log their workouts. Perhaps that could be part of your argument.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:30 AM   #3
Kurt A Gross

Profile:

I've been lifting since before there were computers, and I have old notebooks from 20+ years ago, and I can tell you what I was lifting in 1987. I don't get why people don't keep journals. I could never remember what I deadlifted last time.

I would go crazy trying to lift and remember the last workout's weights.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:41 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

Most people are not serious about working out! It takes too much effort to keep a journal.

That is why they refuse to keep one even after being asked.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:06 AM   #5
Parth Shah

Profile:

Craig,

True, perhaps thats the case. But just like every "difficult" task, it takes some time to form a habit.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:20 AM   #6
Victor Putz

Profile:

Well, I confess that until I started a SS cycle, I didn't really log anything--for the wrong reasons, of course. Since I couldn't do a WOD anywhere near RXed, I had a "until I can finish a WOD, I'm not going to track progress" mentality. I think that's at the core of people not logging; it's the same reason many people don't work out: by not trying, you eliminate the possibility of acknowledging failure (by exercising and not logging, you don't have to permanently record that you suck). It's not a GOOD reason; it's just probably one of the biggest reasons.

Eventually of course I figured out that doing a WOD as rxed was in itself a pretty big fitness goal and that I'd better chart progress toward that goal, I pulled my head out and started logging. But I was doing WODish workouts for about 8 months at that point unlogged.

(SS is a great way to introduce people to logging, too, because it's so gratifying seeing the numbers rise fast in the first few weeks... and by the time it slows down, the habit is pretty well ingrained).

Since I work out in my home office, the computer is right there, too. Logsitall.com is made of internet win.

Last edited by Victor Putz; 07-18-2008 at 06:22 AM..
Old 07-18-2008, 08:11 AM   #7
Marcus Allen

Profile:

I'm too lazy, but I'm trying. I started my log on this site(motivated by George's 40 something pages of logs

Please visit it, please comment, please continue your awesome free support for schmoes like me!!!!

If I was a better blogger I would put in a fancy link here so you could go to my log, and I'd probably have a nifty avatar too!

Train hard!
Old 07-18-2008, 09:30 AM   #8
John Alston

Profile:

You need to come up with a good reason for them to do it. Obviously the person you are talking about doesn't really care or doesn't understand the value.
Find something they do understand the value of and put it in those terms.
For example, you could promise to punch your cousin in the nards for every workout he doesn't log. Or take his lunch money.
Or you could challenge him to meet one of his goals very publicly. Then bring the threat of humiliation to him if he does not make it.
Have you made any awesome gains that would impress him? Sounds like you didn't, or they were different than his goals, b/c then he'd probably want to imitate you.
Old 07-18-2008, 07:05 PM   #9
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

I agree with above, explain the benefits, possibly emphasizing something important to your client if you have an understanding about them personally.

But once you've explained the benefits, I think you just take a back seat, maybe with your cousin you can refuse to program for him at all until he produces a log and says he'll report to you once a month or so. So you guys can look at his progress, work/rest dynamic, and any new goals he should develop.

But you do have to explain the benefits first, just like with nutrition...
Old 07-19-2008, 08:22 AM   #10
Rodrigo A. Iglesias

Profile:

I was one of those that always had trouble logging workouts. I'd start and then it just became too much hassle with very little benefits..

The easiest for me was to just start a blog. rodrigocrossfit.com