CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #901
Colin McLafferty

Profile:
Re: The Official Smolov Support Thread

Like Bill aka manbearpig, I did Smolov starting, base, and intense. I started getting stinger-like knots in my inner thigh on week three of the intense and was missing 5x5 330 so I stopped. On my 1RM test day, I increased my squat from 315 to 365 and just repped 310 5x5 yesterday. Not bad for only a month or two.

I switched to Texas Method and so far have seen great progress.

If I could be 18 again, I would do Starting Strength, Smolov, and then TM with CFFB conditioning worked in. I seriously think that is the recipe for optimum badassness.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:46 AM   #902
Mike Kelley

Profile:

Just did Smolov Jr with front squats...maxing Saturday. Old PR was 275...last day had me do 10x3 at 250...had to do second 5x3 at 245 though. Hopefully I'll hit 300!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #903
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
Like Bill aka manbearpig, I did Smolov starting, base, and intense.

I did too. I had 2 failed workouts during intense (both 5x5 workouts that were 10lbs higher than my 1 rep max before smolov) but upon repeating each of those failed ones, I completed them. I was probably just under-recovered. Brought my squat from 365 (estimated) to 450.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin McLafferty View Post
If I could be 18 again, I would do Starting Strength, Smolov, and then TM with CFFB conditioning worked in. I seriously think that is the recipe for optimum badassness.
That is why you have a child, and pray for a male lol.

If it were me, I'd begin with starting strength once they hit puberty (around 14?) then switch to the Texas Method increasing the 5RM once a week. Once that starts to slow down, Smolov. If my kid doesn't hate me by then, I'd have him go back to the Texas Method and have them cycle through intensity day maxes driving up their 1RM, 3RM, and 5RM.

Last edited by Michael Loucas; 07-10-2013 at 11:50 AM..
Old 07-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #904
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Sounds like a fine plan, Michael, except that your kid would definitely hate you by then.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:01 PM   #905
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Let's face it. They will probably love/hate us before that.

Their hate will make them stronger...or patricide.

I figure if they are not on their path to training by 5 or 6, just have another one.

"So you want to become an artist you say..."
Old 07-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #906
Sean Seale

Profile:

Finished the 7x5 today. I had to watch the kids at the same time (I don't know who set up that rope for them to climb... Irresponsible parent I say!!) so I didn't have too much time to feel miserable between sets. They felt alright.

After that, I also hit a 165 lbs snatch and a 200 clean, which are both 5 lbs under my best lifts... Was pretty happy considering the overall soreness!

Tomorrow Hot tub to help with recovery and back at it on Friday.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #907
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

95%. Crazy.

I barely hit 70% for doubles (from knee and hip) on Monday. If I hit 75 or 80% from the floor for a single today I'd be surprised.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:00 PM   #908
Glenn Plomchok

Profile:

I managed to match my current PR Clean and Jerk after a 7x5 session. Was pretty surprised that I had anything in the tank. We only had 12 minutes to work up so I had to make some moves and plan my rest. I missed the clean the first time...got it the second. The jerk did not feel bad at all but the clean was a bit rough. This was a power clean...FYI

This week I am feeling "blah"...mostly due to being on vacation and eating/drinking like crap. I almost feel like I might have been better of taking the whole week off but I'll stick to my plan and hit Mon-Wed-Fri and call it a day.
Old 07-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #909
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Attempt 2 at week1 of Smolov Jr. is a bust.

Went in, warmed up well (felt fast, powerful) and moved on to Squatting. 135x10, 185x5, 225x4, 255x3, 275x1. None really felt easy.

Grueled through 2 work sets at 285x5 and couldn't even get it off the rack on the 3rd. Managed to psych myself up, lift it off, get stuck at the bottom bouncing around and do another psych up to stand it up.

Failed at Snatches @65% from the floor. Managed to Sn pull/DL up to just past 70% and couldn't even get it off the ground.

Felt good today and got my sleep in though it took awhile to finally crash out. Legs felt fine and felt fine upon waking up.

I should be leaving CO in about a week and a half so I might have been able to get through all 3 weeks had I made it last week and maybe if I could find a gym to drop in at in Socal (doable).

I could try dropping 10% off my 1rm, recalculating it and try to do a week starting next Monday.

Or maybe just try a full Smolov cycle sometime in the fall. I'm leaning to this.

Thoughts?
Old 07-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #910
Alex Novak

Profile:

@Blair-for someone high volume just doesnt work...

I cant progres without volume, but i know poeple, that can squat 1-2 times per week maximum-and they are prety young