CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Alex Chaney

Profile:
Basic Texas Method Template

I've created this template though I haven't used it yet; just want to get some thoughts on it. Also, I'm debating switching cleans and deadlifts due to recovery.

Monday:
Squat (90%) - 5x5
Bench Press - 5RM
Press (90%) - 5x5

Tuesday:
Deadlift - 3RM
Barbell Row - 3x5
Kroc Row - 3x20

Thursday:
Squat - 5RM
Press - 5RM
Bench Press (90%) - 5x5

Friday:
Power Clean - 5x3
Weighted Pull-up - 3x5
Power Shrug - 3x5
Old 05-20-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:
Re: Basic Texas Method Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Chaney View Post
I've created this template though I haven't used it yet; just want to get some thoughts on it. Also, I'm debating switching cleans and deadlifts due to recovery.

Monday:
Squat (90%) - 5x5
Bench Press - 5RM
Press (90%) - 5x5

Tuesday:
Deadlift - 3RM
Barbell Row - 3x5
Kroc Row - 3x20

Thursday:
Squat - 5RM
Press - 5RM
Bench Press (90%) - 5x5

Friday:
Power Clean - 5x3
Weighted Pull-up - 3x5
Power Shrug - 3x5
That isn't really too much like TM unless it has changed. I see you burning out fast with this.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Alex Chaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
That isn't really too much like TM unless it has changed. I see you burning out fast with this.
Mentally or as in stalling? And ya it's more of a split.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Mentally or as in stalling? And ya it's more of a split.
Stalling. Too much work in general. You are kinda doing smolov for your whole body. Not really, but that is a lot of work. There is a reason why madcow, tm, bill starr 5x5 etc are 3 training days a week. Your lower body might do okay, but I see you stalling on your presses with this. I would add overhead on deadlift day, and drop the kroc rows for sure. Consider doing bodyweight pullups until after you are done and can work on weighted ones. You need to remember your ability to adapt is finite. You can only tackle so much at once.

I would look at a cycle hitting your squat, dead, and bench. Following that I might look at maintaining your gains but not trying to progess in those three much while you hit your weighted pullups and press etc. If you wanted dedicated hypertrophy do that alone and don't try to do the heavy stuff as much.

It seems like you are trying to do too much dedicated strength and hypertrophy at the same time and I doubt you have enough natural juice in your veins to do it unless you are a bit of a freak. Periodize and plan your goals. Trying to do everything will leave you close to where you started. I would do the 5x5 and BB type stuff after you are done with your cycle.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Alex Chaney

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. Hesse View Post
Stalling. Too much work in general. You are kinda doing smolov for your whole body. Not really, but that is a lot of work. There is a reason why madcow, tm, bill starr 5x5 etc are 3 training days a week. Your lower body might do okay, but I see you stalling on your presses with this. I would add overhead on deadlift day, and drop the kroc rows for sure. Consider doing bodyweight pullups until after you are done and can work on weighted ones. You need to remember your ability to adapt is finite. You can only tackle so much at once.

I would look at a cycle hitting your squat, dead, and bench. Following that I might look at maintaining your gains but not trying to progess in those three much while you hit your weighted pullups and press etc. If you wanted dedicated hypertrophy do that alone and don't try to do the heavy stuff as much.

It seems like you are trying to do too much dedicated strength and hypertrophy at the same time and I doubt you have enough natural juice in your veins to do it unless you are a bit of a freak. Periodize and plan your goals. Trying to do everything will leave you close to where you started. I would do the 5x5 and BB type stuff after you are done with your cycle.
Sounds good. Also, I've heard people reducing 5x5 volume to 3x5. What's your opinion on this?
Old 05-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Bill M. Hesse

Profile:

Quote:
Sounds good. Also, I've heard people reducing 5x5 volume to 3x5. What's your opinion on this?
Depends on your goals. I think the grunt volume of 5x5 is a useful tool. Especially when you consider,TM thrives on doing for 5 what you did for 3 the week before. I am a fan of madcow myself were one works up to a single heaviest work set and that is it. Too many sets at higher weight can run you down in the long haul. Therefore, it kinda makes sense to make a single set you have warmed up to your heaviest. You can drop down to a lower percentage after if you still want to do you volume. Check this template out

http://board.crossfit.com/showpost.p...1&postcount=26

WFS
Old 05-21-2013, 03:24 AM   #7
Chris Jones

Profile:

i would think the heavy bench and shoulder press in the same day would burn you up? In most other programs they are split more like MWF
Old 05-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
Michael Loucas

Profile:

I do a volume/intensity split:

Monday:
Press Intensity
Bench Volume (usually 3x5 @ 85% of intensity)

Tuesday:
Deadlift Intensity
Squat Volume (usually 3x5 @ 85% of intensity)

Wednesday:
Off

Thursday:
Bench Intensity
Press Volume (usually 3x5 @ 85% of intensity)

Friday:
Squat Intensity
Old 05-21-2013, 08:15 AM   #9
Paulo Santos

Profile:

Here's what I've learned over the years. If you are new to working out, stick with a program and don't mess with it. There are some that are flexible enough that you can tweak it, but you shouldn't be messing with beginner/intermediate programs.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
Jeremy Schultz

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Santos View Post
Here's what I've learned over the years. If you are new to working out, stick with a program and don't mess with it. There are some that are flexible enough that you can tweak it, but you shouldn't be messing with beginner/intermediate programs.
I couldn't agree more. I messed around with "tweaking" all the FLEX magazine-type workouts, and changing them up every 3 or 4 months, for 15+ years with only minimal results. It wasn't until I started a real, structured workout routine that I began to make real gains. Unfortunately for me, for my age, it's too little too late to ever be "elite" at any kind of powerlifting or crossfit or any other event. Don't let that happen to you.

In other words, my advice would be to stick to a well-established routine that has produced athletes who you want to emulate.

Last edited by Jeremy Schultz; 05-21-2013 at 09:51 AM..