CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #1
Curt Hobscheidt

Profile:
Squat Regression

Has anyone been through this before? I will be the first to admit that squating is my weakest link but about a month and a half ago it seems to have taken a turn for the worse. I had a 1RM of 275 but felt my form was off and didnt think i was hitting parallel so i started over and my max fell to 250 but my form still felt the same. (I am currently working on my flexibility to be more upright at the bottom as I can only OHS the bar right now). Fast forward to today and I could barely do 225 twice. My routine, diet, sleep has all been the same but am going in the wrong direction. Everything else my weights are going up and my front squat max is 210 and deadlift up to 370. Im at a loss and appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Curt
Old 05-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #2
Dustin Wintczak

Profile:
Re: Squat Regression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Hobscheidt View Post
Has anyone been through this before? I will be the first to admit that squating is my weakest link but about a month and a half ago it seems to have taken a turn for the worse. I had a 1RM of 275 but felt my form was off and didnt think i was hitting parallel so i started over and my max fell to 250 but my form still felt the same. (I am currently working on my flexibility to be more upright at the bottom as I can only OHS the bar right now). Fast forward to today and I could barely do 225 twice. My routine, diet, sleep has all been the same but am going in the wrong direction. Everything else my weights are going up and my front squat max is 210 and deadlift up to 370. Im at a loss and appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Curt
Well if you weren't breaking parallel before you weren't really squatting. I don't say that to be mean but it's not a squat. I'm assuming you're doing High-bar if you're concerned with remaining upright at the bottom. So that being said if you weren't even breaking parallel before and now you're hitting depth for a true HB (meaning *** to ankles) I'm not surprised your numbers dropped. You're not weaker you're just now squatting properly. You 1RM of 275 wasn't a true 1RM because as you said, you weren't even dropping below parallel. Just keep working on flexibility and hitting depth everytime and your numbers will come back up.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Curt Hobscheidt

Profile:

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing just was shocked at how weak I really was. 135 was a struggle so it looks like I have a lot of work to do but I enjoy the challenge. Might be next summer before Im back in the 200's but at least I will be doing them right.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Michael Loucas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Hobscheidt View Post
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking the same thing just was shocked at how weak I really was. 135 was a struggle so it looks like I have a lot of work to do but I enjoy the challenge. Might be next summer before Im back in the 200's but at least I will be doing them right.
It can be way sooner than that. Just squat twice a week and add 5-10 lbs each time.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #5
Curt Hobscheidt

Profile:

Do you have a plan that works for you? I have been doing the 5/3/1 for awhile and like it but for my squats i seem to hit a wall very quickly. I watched some old video of me squating what i thought was really bad and then some of me not straight up and down but close to parallel and they look pretty similar. But now i want to get @@@ to ankles and am not sure if there is a better program for me to start that with than 5/3/1. And thoughts are much appreciated.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #6
Andrew Wiemken

Profile:

If you feel your form is off, STOP going heavy. If your form is bad, you need to stick to weights you KNOW you can handle until your form is perfect. Bite the bullet, "start over" so to speak, and carefully hit weights you can handle with 100% solid form. I mean like, 135#, seriously. Work on hip mobility and thoracic extension. Tape yourself on every session. Submit those videos to the "digital coaching" section and you'll get great input.

5/3/1 is not appropriate for a lifter who does not have solid form established yet. Furthermore, in my experience/opinion, 5/3/1 is more appropriate for stronger, more experienced lifters. You should be fine with a regular, simple linear progression.

Therefore, WHEN and ONLY WHEN your form is fixed:
3x5, 2-3 times per week, and add 5-10 pounds each workout.
START LIGHT - that's a universal rule for lifters at any level, on any progression, and can't be emphasized enough. You need to build momentum and keep confidently adding weight. Start with a weight you KNOW you can handle easily for 3x5 with reps left in the tank. Be patient. Then proceed with the Linear Progression from there.

One of the reasons people regress is that they go heavy all the time, trying to hit 1RM's every session, and therefore each session has very low volume, resulting in them not getting enough work in to stimulate the proper adaptation.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

It's pretty damn hard to hit 95% of your 1rm most of the time though you should be able to hit 90% so long as you or your legs aren't trashed.

I don't think you are going to go far on 5-3-1 if you don't do the assistance work. Mine went up very slow over 8 months (but this could also be due to optimal recovery).
Old 05-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

With a 370 deadlift I would expect a 275 squat in an experienced lifter.

My questions:

Where are you squatting and are you using iron plates or bumper plates?

If you are using bumper plates have you dumped the bar from the bottom of a squat? Are you comfortable doing this?

How is the depth of you air squats?

Do you clearly know the difference between a high bar back squat (HBBS) and a low bar back squat (LBBS)?

I would be willing to bet very little of this has anything to do with you strength and it has everything to do with you squat form. Fix the form and the numbers will go up.

Could also be a mobility issue in the hips. The OHS problems are a tell tail sign of a mobility issue somewhere. Shoulders, hips or both.

Shoot some video from off center front, the side where we can see the end of the bar and you feet and off center back. Post it and we will be able to tell you exactly what is going on.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #9
Andrew Wiemken

Profile:

True, a 370# deadlft may demonstrate a level of strength beyond the point where my fast-and-loose prescription of an LP might be applicable for long.

I mean, OP said outright his form is bad. So yes, that is going to be the primary issue.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #10
Aaron Gainer

Profile:

First off, you should be able to do a full squat with your own bodyweight. If you can't do that, work on it 2-3x a day. I cannot emphasize how crucial it is too develop the bottom position of the squat.

Work on tons of goblet and zercher squats once your mobility is up to par. I would say 3x a week squatting would be sufficient enough. Be patient, and you will be breaking PRs in no time.