CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 04-03-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
David Kiesling

Profile:
Re: Actual Weight of Kettlebells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hanover View Post
You're absolutely right. Some companies think of it like this.... ok... so I have to pay more to make sure these are within X% or I can just send out a few replacements for people who REALLY care and ACTUALLY check. Ends up being cheaper to probably hope that most are accurate, and the number that are not accurate don't end up in hands of people that check.
It's funny how convincing that weight stamp is. I've known for years that weights can be off, but it never occurred to me to check the ones I use, aside from a few 10lb CAP plates a couple years ago out of curiosity. As far as kettlebells, it matters even less, because I'm just doing single-kb movements so far. As long as the 45lb is heavier than the 35lb, and on up, it's fine to me. I'm much more concerned about rough spots on the handles.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #12
Joey Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kiesling View Post
It's funny how convincing that weight stamp is. I've known for years that weights can be off, but it never occurred to me to check the ones I use, aside from a few 10lb CAP plates a couple years ago out of curiosity. As far as kettlebells, it matters even less, because I'm just doing single-kb movements so far. As long as the 45lb is heavier than the 35lb, and on up, it's fine to me. I'm much more concerned about rough spots on the handles.
Yep, that's Exactly my thought process.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:19 PM   #13
Jose Sanchez

Profile:

I have weighed the 5 new KBs on scales that are balanced and accurate. I even went the distance and weighed 13 older KBs to be certain. 2 out of 13 were under weight by 1/4lb, the rest were on weight or slightly over. They were a mixture of brands, Perform Better, Power Systems, Ajax, and American KB club.
Where do the 5 new ones weigh in at:
Stamped weight--weight on both scales
53--51
44--43 3/4
35--34 1/2
26--26 1/2
18--17 1/4
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kiesling View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Allen View Post
Yep, that's Exactly my thought process.
I'm a bit OCD when it comes to my equipment, especially when I personally buy it and not my gym. I've weighed bars and bumpers to check for accuracy. I think it makes a difference when it comes to training. When yor training for a specific goal it counts for something.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #14
Joey Allen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Sanchez View Post
I have weighed the 5 new KBs on scales that are balanced and accurate. I even went the distance and weighed 13 older KBs to be certain. 2 out of 13 were under weight by 1/4lb, the rest were on weight or slightly over. They were a mixture of brands, Perform Better, Power Systems, Ajax, and American KB club.
Where do the 5 new ones weigh in at:
Stamped weight--weight on both scales
53--51
44--43 3/4
35--34 1/2
26--26 1/2
18--17 1/4

I'm a bit OCD when it comes to my equipment, especially when I personally buy it and not my gym. I've weighed bars and bumpers to check for accuracy. I think it makes a difference when it comes to training. When yor training for a specific goal it counts for something.
Interesting.. Let us know how it shakes out if you contact the manufacturer. I'm sure we're all a bit curious as to where they came from. I have 2 of Rogue's new kettlebells coming in on Friday. I'll check them out and report back.

I hear ya about being OCD. I understand your reasoning completely. I tend to be OCD about my bars. Good luck with it Jose.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:22 PM   #15
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Sanchez View Post
I would have not thought o that. I'd hope a company would try to get their product at the least within 1/2 a pound. I think that is a lot of leeway.
That just shows you haven't been around much. Time was that almost no barbells were withing 2 pounds, never mind 0.5 pounds. 45 lb. plates often weighed 40 pounds.

But if you're OCD, then go ahead and buy a certified gear. Certified barbells run about $800. That's not to say that there aren't some non-certified barbells and kettlebells that weigh what they should, but if you're really OCD ....
Old 04-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
Michael Loucas

Profile:

I ordered some pendlay elite bumpers off wayfair. The 25 lb bumpers they sent me were actually 10kg bumpers that were mislabeled. They weighed in at about 22 lbs. They replaced them for me. All my other ones were within 0.1 lbs of advertised weight.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:31 PM   #17
Aaron Schupp

Profile:

I believe the industry standard for most manufacturers is to have a certain +/- weight tolerance for items like kettlebells and bumper plates. So if you order a 55# kettlebell it might weigh 55.15 lbs. However I think getting one that's 2 lbs off is high.